Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: REIN REIN, go to Spain...  (Read 19747 times)

boozy

• Reg Member
Re: REIN REIN, go to Spain...
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »

Still waiting for rain - a first for Scotland.

Is there a maximum possible number of FECs?  and did I reach it  :D...  I was getting CRCs too, but not as many as you'd think.

Still trying to figure out the hybrid response from broadcom's diagnostic tool.  If I look at the two different sets of peaks and troughs and calculate the lengths from that - it comes out at ~800m and ~100m...  that's roughly my line length and where I think the fault is.  Pure speculation though, as it could be measuring anything. Would love the manual for it ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2018, 06:43:46 PM »

Is there a maximum possible number of FECs?  and did I reach it  :D... 

If the FEC count is stored as a 32-bit signed value the maximum is 231 = 2,147,483,648. If it is stored as a 32-bit unsigned value the maximum is 232 = 4,294,967,296.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »

I should have asked that better :).  Is there a physical limit i.e.

60000000 (mb/s) / 1492 (packet size) * 60 (seconds) = ~2.4 million per minute

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2018, 08:15:37 PM »

Ah, I see. I'm not aware of any limit . . . but, thinking about it, there must be an upper-bound.  :-\

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2018, 10:04:05 PM »

In one of my regular tries with the water pistol I managed to get around the top of the pole wet :).  Not much, but it did drop the SNRM like it has previously for light rain.  Looks like I found the location, and it isn't the strange wrapping round the cable.  I think I'll wait for some rain before reporting this as my hit rate is well under 1% (the wheat in the field is much healthier around my target  :D), I don't think I could wet it on demand.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2018, 12:27:25 PM »

After a long while waiting on forecastable rain. OpenReach are coming on Friday morning. They’ll either think I’m a genius, eejit or nutcase (especially if I hand them a water pistol).  Most likely a combination of those three.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »

@ boozy Hope it goes well for you! If they can't make up their minds what it is you are, you could always arrange a poll here! Not really,mate! ;D

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »

Not sure either me or the engineer were happy at the end of that.  I'm now the proud owner of a module, previously 92m away at the DP.  The line down the pole was also given a good check over. But just as he was about to go the rain started - a my heavily amplified phone was picking up noise, his wasn't.  He reran everything and stayed on the phone running the Quiet Line Test for a bit (actually quite a while, I think the water pistol and the amount of printouts intrigued him... you can read that as tending towards nutcase in the poll :)).  He reckoned if he could pick it up he could find it, but no joy.

Learnt more about the line too - first 92m are .9mm copper, down the pole is 0.5mm copper (this is likely to be the source of the wavy SNR and the reflections shown in the hybrid response test).  The unidentified enclosure is for use in trees as Black Sheep surmised (as is the .9mm cable)  Underground cable is 20 pair, he tried to look up the line on "Magic Map"? but it wasn't on it.

I've attached the post and pre HLogs, I can see both good and bad.  I'm not sure what to think :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »

I'm now the proud owner of a module, previously 92m away at the DP.

If I am understanding correctly, your circuit now has a new connection module within the DP.

Learnt more about the line too - first 92m are .9mm copper, down the pole is 0.5mm copper (this is likely to be the source of the wavy SNR and the reflections shown in the hybrid response test).  The unidentified enclosure is for use in trees as Black Sheep surmised (as is the .9mm cable)  Underground cable is 20 pair, he tried to look up the line on "Magic Map"? but it wasn't on it.

It's interesting to read of the circuit's local "make up" . . . and it's not the first time that the network records have been shown to be incomplete.

I've attached the post and pre HLogs, I can see both good and bad.  I'm not sure what to think :)

There is a slight "lift" in the total plot (i.e. it moves in a positive direction) between the pre- and post-plots. That's a good. Possibly the highest frequencies in the DS3 band show a slight improvement, so that's a second good. However the US2 band seems to be slightly more degraded. So that's a bad. Hmm . . .  :hmm:

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2018, 08:38:45 PM »

boozy: what is your current hybrid response test?

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »

I haven't had the heart to try it today yet - it looks like rain, and with my luck I'll miss capturing it if I do.  The bit loading looks the same, so I expect little different given the change in wire gauge at 92m.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »

Is this still the actual problem?

Thanks ejs - VOIP is pretty unusable, as you can tell from the packet loss on the ping graph (and important as there is no mobile signal indoors).  Ditto for anything real-time (kids have left the Xbox off for a long time) and I shy from working from home as presentations have a habit of glitching out.   I didn't know what would be useful information in all the graphs from DslStats, so if you can suggest anything - that would be good.

Have you considered the possibility that there's nothing much wrong with the physical wires, and there's no significant problem at the DSL layer, and the performance issues are elsewhere such as congestion at the ISP or their wholesale network? If you look hard enough, you're bound to find imperfections with some part of the line somewhere, but they may be completely irrelevant to the actual problem.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2018, 09:25:31 PM »

Is this still the actual problem?
Not so much
Have you considered the possibility that there's nothing much wrong with the physical wires, and there's no significant problem at the DSL layer, and the performance issues are elsewhere such as congestion at the ISP or their wholesale network? If you look hard enough, you're bound to find imperfections with some part of the line somewhere, but they may be completely irrelevant to the actual problem.
Yes, but I have reasonable cause to believe there's a physical problem.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »

:no:  rain last night, sync dropped, but it got me thinking. I’ve looked over all the previous sync losses or SNRM drops due to rain and it struck me that shorting to a capacitor (with different discharge rates) would look like that, and explain why the effect stops later even if the rain continues. I don’t suppose there is a capacitor or similar in the circuit?

The QLN also showed a significant positive jump during the resync. It would look good if the previous hadn't been seen :D.

Edit: semi rhetorical question, what would it look like if rain allowed another conductor to become part of the circuit temporarily?  An open or a bridged tap...  or the above.

Further edit: I'm at a loss, the only things I learned was that the QLN was about 5-10 db higher than normal at that point in the negotiation process and that the SNRM was at 5.9 at the point of Synch although this had increased to 7.9 within a minute.  I was hoping the HLog would show something like a tap, but it doesn't :(.  Given the whole thing lasted 3-4 minutes (and the rain kept going) I not sure how the fault can be tracked back - quite often the SNRM drops by 2 or so and stays that way for a few hours, but it still seems a small window to fault find.  I'm thinking of following Ixel's lead and provisioning a new line.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:29:18 PM by boozy »

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2018, 08:48:10 PM »

OpenReach came today after an escalation, the rain didn't as the forecast changed over the weekend.

My line is now a very different one to yesterday.  A split pair was found and fixed (about 7m worth of split with an unused pair) and the pair back to the DSLAM after that was swapped out (with a noisier pair :)).  As before I can see both good and bad in the stats and I am still not sure if it's "better" - I'll wait for the rain which is forecast for Wednesday morning and see if it all hangs together.

On a side note - I almost reached 1ES/Sec (which did get a smile out of the engineer  ;D).
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8