Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: REIN REIN, go to Spain...  (Read 19757 times)

boozy

• Reg Member
Re: REIN REIN, go to Spain...
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2018, 12:24:38 AM »

The hedge is currently a bit higher, and there's something spiral wrapped around the cable towards the exchange, about a foot higher than the capping which is hanging off - Callum (2nd Engineer) lost the nail, and the one I gave him is missing.  The hedge is now a few feet higher again, only around the pole - I may need to get the loppers out.  Or I could just go mad with the hedge cutters and ensure a visit  :D

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2018, 06:42:52 PM »

Quite hard too see - but there's about 6-8 inches of something round the cable in the lower half of the picture.

I also went and found a water pistol, but the rain was about to start (there were a few spots), so I just ended up standing in the road with it  :-[.

[attachment deleted by admin]

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »

Just the exact spot question now, but it's above ground given how quick it appears :)

You can just about see when I was referring to spots of rain - and definitely see where there's now a little rain.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2018, 08:30:21 PM »

Quite hard too see - but there's about 6-8 inches of something round the cable in the lower half of the picture.

I can see it but I am puzzled as to what it night be.  ???

It doesn't look like a joint closure . . . at best I will say that it looks like half a joint closure! Then there is the problem of deciding how many cables there are . . . is it two or three?  :-\

Certainly some attention and maintenance is required at that location.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2018, 09:00:14 PM »

Here's a better picture - after some loppers were applied.  There's two wires.

The rain isn't really going, but you can see it going on an off... especially upstream.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »

Yes, two cables. I am still uncertain as to what is that object on the left-hand cable. Perhaps Black Sheep will be able to identify it?

Looking critically at the wood of the pole, could those nicks be from a hedge trimming flail?  :-\

Perhaps the damaged cable just needs to be replaced and a second length of capping be fitted to provide further cable protection, higher up the pole (for when Angus is next trimming the hedge)?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2018, 10:17:17 PM »

I have to say, I don't recognise that particular closure ??? It may be a closure specific to 'Aerial Cables' as the picture appears to show this kind of cable ??

The only other item it possibly resembles, is something we fit around drop-wires going through trees ... a kind of wrap-around device rather like a 'cable-tidy' you might have at the back of the TV, where all the wires go to die.  :)

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2018, 10:25:51 PM »

If it happened a while ago you've likely got the first letter of the name right, but right when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...  the rain started a bit more heavily and this happened  ???

I'm away for a few days, but I'll check the pole for damage when I'm back.

From Black Sheep's reply it sounds like protection (at best) - but fitting to only one of the drop wires?  Sounds like an "after the fact" or farmer fitted.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2018, 07:50:13 PM »

I tried the water pistol - unfortunately it's no smoking gun  ;D.  Although there's a limit to where got wet given the angle and the fact that I'm below the bandage and the clouds are above (I did try and mimic rain too).

However something is different - when I came back in to check the CRCs and ES had increased last night on the downstream upstream and is still increasing.  I tried removing the modem for 30 minutes but that hasn't helped...  I think I'm going to get around 50% errored seconds between 7 and 8.  After removing the modem interleaving has increased to 16 downstream (which seemed less affected) - so I guess VOIP is kaput again.  Guessing this won't end well.

Not sure what to look at as everything else looks like it usually does,
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:55:48 PM by boozy »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2018, 08:03:32 AM »

The interleaving depth is almost irrelevant with G.INP - it's an absolutely tiny value, even 16, it's just the DTU size. I think the DLM only has two levels of retransmission (G.INP), high and low, if Bearer 0 still has INPRein of 1, then it's the retransmission high level, and any slight changes in the INP level or DTU size (interleaving depth) do not indicate that the DLM has changed something - they tend to change slightly on each resync.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2018, 08:19:39 AM »

Those several thousand upstream errored seconds should be enough to cause DLM intervention, so its quite possible things will now improve, i.e. upstream G.INP, though it unfortunately goes away fairly quickly for most people.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »

Those several thousand upstream errored seconds should be enough to cause DLM intervention, so its quite possible things will now improve, i.e. upstream G.INP, though it unfortunately goes away fairly quickly for most people.

Yep - both up and downstream are now on retransmission low, from the ejs description.

I did turn off everything and do a quiet line test, not sure why given I have cookie bite hearing loss :), but I could hear noise on the line.  A short "tock" about once every 75 seconds on average and a really faint modem-like noise (but I had the gigaset on speakerphone and to my ear to hear that, so could have been the phone).

I think the easiest thing to do is find out where the water is ingressing. Would a garden water sprayer reach 20 feet?  The few hundred ml in the water pistol ain't enough (nor is the 6 feet range).

@burakkucat - that might well be damage in the picture, but I can see something further up too.  Without getting a ladder and clearing away undergrowth and hedge it's hard to be sure.

Zen will raise a fault, but are concerned nothing will show up on the day - so I'm trying to remember who provided the BT hospitality at Knockhill about 12 years ago, in case I need to shout at someone :), bet he's ended up on the BT side of the split though.  Anyone with an indication of how the fault could be identified on the standard OR tests?

Nothing I can do for now - Jury Duty starts Monday.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2018, 08:08:36 PM »

I am now the proud owner of one of these : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nerf-E0022EU4-Soaker-Soakzooka-Action/dp/B075Z3FBWC and still none the wiser as to where I need to add water to show the fault.  Although I cannot get to the top of the pole (must be a wuss).

Just to please me - the DLM relented and removed, however temporarily, the G.IMP upstream...  that shouldn't last long.  I rebooted everything between 5 and 6, but that just lost 3Mb/s speed and didn't change the error rate.  I went to the office today, so suffered little of it (kids had no such luck on the first day of the holidays  ;)).

QLN looks pretty bad on the downstream, but it's been OK with only a few errors - despite what he SNRM has been doing.

I'm just going to wait for rain - and help the neighbour get PlusNet to fix their bridged tap (as I'm curious about my QLN when that happens).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2018, 09:32:58 PM »

I am now the proud owner of one of these : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nerf-E0022EU4-Soaker-Soakzooka-Action/dp/B075Z3FBWC and still none the wiser as to where I need to add water to show the fault.  Although I cannot get to the top of the pole (must be a wuss).

Ha!  :D

QLN looks pretty bad on the downstream, but it's been OK with only a few errors - despite what he SNRM has been doing.

The "flying gulls" (or "pigeons") in the QLN plot are good indicators of cross-talk. There certainly is something happening . . . the SNRM and Error Second plots are clear proof.

boozy

• Reg Member
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2018, 11:06:47 PM »

The "flying gulls" (or "pigeons") in the QLN plot are good indicators of cross-talk.

Well spotted, I hadn't noticed that - the shape of the sinusoid has now changed to have the "m" centre as opposed to the curved one before.  I really need to remove the neighbours modem and force a resync on my line to satisfy my curiosity, if nothing else.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8