Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Broadband Max not Rate Adaptive  (Read 2931 times)

bobo

• Just arrived
BT Broadband Max not Rate Adaptive
« on: May 24, 2008, 06:13:47 PM »

Help !

I've been fixed at 1M after moving from Tiscali 1M to BT max. My exchange did not offer Tiscali at max rates.
My speed is still fixed at 1152/288 after 1 month and loads of phone calls. I even had a BT tech visit who told BT Broadband exactly what I'v been telling them.
Now BT say that the line profile has been reste and set to 4M and that the cap which they calimed wasn't there has been removed.
I'm still fixed at 1M and am getting nowhere - any suggestions ?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Broadband Max not Rate Adaptive
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 06:33:53 PM »

Can you show us your router stats - see this for details if you're not sure how.
  Eric

bobo

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 08:02:51 PM »

Rate up 288 Down 1152
S/N margin 27dB
Line attenuation 50dB

Done all the usual to improve SNR (I'm a SCADA engineer) and the ADSL2 envelope shows that I should get around 4M sync to the exchange. SN margin good enough

My neighbour has S/N margin of 13dB and Line attenuation 47dB and gets 3-3.5Mbps.

I strongly suspect that the DSLAM has been left on the old ADSL rather than ADSL2.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:37:52 PM »

You're still on 1mb fixed, 2 clues is the upsteam at 1/4mb instead if 1/2mb, also 27db snr downstream is good for a fixed speed and bodes very well for a max service once your on it. 27db on a max service, you would'nt have synced in the first place

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »

Yes, so what you need to do, bobo, is go back to BT with those stats to hand, and make it clear that you are still on the fixed 1 meg service, not the ADSL Max service which you're supposed to be on.

(By the way, don't confuse ADSL Max with ADSL2. ADSL Max is rate-adaptive ADSL(1), not ADSL2.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 10:54:09 PM by roseway »
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:49:54 PM »

One thing that does occur

I wonder if the OP had a bad period of syncs during the training phrase for eg..  and the DLM has decided that the line would be better as a Max capped rate 1000 product.   If this is the case then its not always apparent to the ISP as they just see the "Max" bit.

Which ever way it does need going back to the ISP,...  although it may be an idea to ask them if they can check if for some reason its being limited due to being a "Max Capped Rate Profile 1000".
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything