Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hammond to pledge superfast broadband for most homes  (Read 4628 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Hammond to pledge superfast broadband for most homes
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 03:20:31 PM »

I have skimmed your links and the banner claim does seem true.

I just find it very hard to believe the statistic. I live in a BDUK area and the houses served by our cab barely reach that target where I am and there are many further from it. There are many areas near but not served by the subsidised exchange that only have 21CN, and calling that 24mbit (as I sceptically believe has been included in this calculation) could not get 24mbit actual downstream throughput unless they were living opposite the exchange.

It'd be great to see a breakdown of how these (BT no doubt) figures were reached.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 03:29:55 PM »

no, it means 95% can order a service that will receive 24Mb

And if all of did order that service, imagine the effects of all the crosstalk. :)

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 03:44:16 PM »

Check out any of the BDUK sites that councils/counties set up and look at their coverage. Its minimal, and all the premises outside of that reach in these areas are on at best 21CN, which is by definition below 24mbits.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 03:44:53 PM »

I very much doubt the capacity is there for everyone in the first place.
That goes for both backhaul capacity as well as free ports on the DSLAM's/MSAN's.

I would also assume the 95% will be based on sync and not actual throughput.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »

I have skimmed your links and the banner claim does seem true.

I just find it very hard to believe the statistic. I live in a BDUK area and the houses served by our cab barely reach that target where I am and there are many further from it. There are many areas near but not served by the subsidised exchange that only have 21CN, and calling that 24mbit (as I sceptically believe has been included in this calculation) could not get 24mbit actual downstream throughput unless they were living opposite the exchange.

It'd be great to see a breakdown of how these (BT no doubt) figures were reached.

No, it's 95% of uk properties can actually order at least 24Mb. That doesn't include everyone on 21CN exchanges, only those with 24Mb estimates.

They've picked the lowest hanging fruit already though. The final 5% are the hardest/most expensive to reach.
No doubt some of those properties will be fobbed off with discount vouchers for satellite once any future US0 comes in to force.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 04:07:02 PM »

No, it's 95% of uk properties can actually order at least 24Mb. That doesn't include everyone on 21CN exchanges, only those with 24Mb estimates.

See I just cant believe that.

More than 5% of the houses served by my cabinet cannot order 24mbit, its VDSL enabled and I do not live in the middle of no where. I have a little over 24mbit now, but on order I was only guaranteed 14.

Given that and the number of UK homes not served by VDSL enabled cabs it just seems made up.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2018, 04:26:23 PM »

Related in some small way to the topic, I guess .... but the average UK speed now is 48Mbps.

Not got a link, as it was part of an internal 'Employee only' communique.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 07:18:30 AM »

48 Mbps median?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »

stevebrass

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 10:15:39 AM »

Neither has Hammond. :)
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 12:49:17 PM »

:lol:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 12:30:17 PM »

See I just cant believe that.

More than 5% of the houses served by my cabinet cannot order 24mbit, its VDSL enabled and I do not live in the middle of no where. I have a little over 24mbit now, but on order I was only guaranteed 14.

Given that and the number of UK homes not served by VDSL enabled cabs it just seems made up.

Thanks for proving that the estimations are conservative. The 5% of your one cabinet is more than offset by the 100% of the 1.7k premises in this area that can all order >24Mb, and the 11,000 premises in this council ward that are 100% covered at 24Mb or greater.

This city as a whole across the metropolitan area has coverage of 96.9% at 24Mb or greater - and rising as Virgin Media continue building their network, and Openreach infill gaps where there's no, or slow, FTTC with FTTP.

Not that either is in any way a guide to the country as a whole, however I'm not aware of any data indicating the 95% figure is inaccurate. There are indeed a number of cabinets without VDSL, however these are on average way smaller than those that are enabled, and alongside the FTTP and cable coverage it's a reasonable figure backed up by Think Broadband data too.
Pages: 1 [2]