Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTP deployment questions  (Read 1126 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
FTTP deployment questions
« on: May 24, 2018, 01:29:06 PM »

So as full fibre slowly becomes a reality I thought now is the time to ask more questions about it.

I know in the past there as been some confusion between FTTP and FoD.

From what I understand about FoD is if someone orders it then the price they pay is from the aggregation node to the customers property, plus the higher monthly fees?

If that is true, when looking to expand the size of the fibre network are more aggregation nodes eventually installed, or will the current number always remain the same?

Last questions, and these were inspired by my Dad asking me questions earlier today and I wasn't sure of the answers  :-[

Ok I'm assuming that whether you buy FTTP or FoD the fibre will come in to the house the same way? If this is true, then how does fibre actually reach a persons house? I've seen in videos they show a box on the inside wall. Is there anything on the outside wall? I'm kinda assuming the fibre cable gets drilled through the wall? Is it an actual fibre cable or something else that goes through the wall? Does the fibre feed usually come from underground i.e. do they dig on the customers property, or is it coming via a pole and into a drilled hole on the wall?

I realise some of these questions might come across as very basic. But I've never noticed the full answers, apart from part answers to specific questions that people might have has issues with etc. I also might have missed the full fibre install talk as I haven't got it yet  :)

Anyways I'd appreciate any information and knowledge you guys have about how a fibre network expands, if there are any changes to the number of aggregation nodes, and how does fibre actually enter the customers property.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: FTTP deployment questions
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 01:56:47 PM »

FoD used to be paying an installation price based on 'bands' of distance from the aggregation node pretty much. It also used to be higher monthly costs compared to native FTTP. If I recall correctly, such installations also didn't necessarily enable native FTTP for 'properties passed'. The contract term was three years.

These days FoD is paying a much higher installation price than before but I believe a lower monthly cost (but probably not by a lot and probably still more than native FTTP?). Properties passed will also get native FTTP show up on their checker I believe. The contract term is also one year, unless the company you deal with choose to run a longer contract term I think.

Beyond that I can't answer the other questions.

About two streets away there's a native FTTP deployment, I've never checked to see how much it would cost me to get FoD here but I'm still betting it would be in the tens of thousands.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »

They built the network with future FTTP in mind.
In many areas the existing number of Aggregation Nodes will be enough. I've no idea how much of the network does or doesn't have enough Agg Nodes.

The fibre will enter the property similar to how the existing copper does. If there's ducting into a new property they will use that if not they will drill through the wall at an agreed point.

They use a single connectorised cable between the DP (Telegraph pole) and the ONT (fibre modem).

Previously they had a 2 stage install process where fibre was run from the DP to a CSP (customer splice point) on the exterior of your property. The 2nd stage ran another fibre cable from the CSP to the ONT.

All new deployments use the 1 stage connectorised method now I believe.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 05:27:20 AM »

How do they physically bolt the segments together? Forgive my ignorance.