Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Very frustrated with DLM inaction  (Read 4694 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Very frustrated with DLM inaction
« on: May 24, 2018, 09:31:50 AM »

I am completely dissatisfied with DLM on my line. It simply refuses to remove either my banding or my interleaving. As most here know I am on an ECI cabinet and I firmly believe my cabinet is affected by what I will refer to as 'the rogue modem issue'. It seems that DLM is incapable of managing my line. Since all my real issues a couple of years ago my line has always been banded around 60meg and interleaved. Even after I managed to get BT (rather than my ISP TT) to remove the banding and interleaving the DLM reset immediately re-applied both and has left my line in this state again despite my ES rate being generally between zero and  low single figures downsteam per 24 hours.

It seems to me that BT and doing absolutely nothing about the rogue modem issue and not providing any information about which modem or modems are at fault and are not addressing the DLM issue to fix it which I do not believe is beyond doing.

This is not about pure speed I simply do not accept that leaving me in this situation is reasonable or acceptable. They have had quite a long time to do something about this issue. It seems to me that ECI cabinets are quite simply not fit for purpose and should be replaced. The inaction from BT is symptomatic of a company run by the accountants who do not care about end users.

I am thinking about starting with TT to see if I can get anywhere on this issue and if that fails move on up to BT and OFCom. I just dont see why they should be allowed to get away with doing nothing.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Very frustrated with DLM inaction
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:55:42 AM »

I don't know whether or not this might be the right thing for you, but in the past Andrews and Arnold have had a we’ll fix your line scheme and they have attracted a reputation for taking wholesale service providers to task and fighting for the customer. Anyway, might be at least worth a casual chat with them. They are on IRC for example.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 10:25:42 AM »

I don't know whether or not this might be the right thing for you, but in the past Andrews and Arnold have had a we’ll fix your line scheme and they have attracted a reputation for taking wholesale service providers to task and fighting for the customer. Anyway, might be at least worth a casual chat with them. They are on IRC for example.

Agreed. If I were you, broadstairs, I'd contact Andrews and Arnold or at least go on IRC and see what them or their customers have to say. I'm betting they'll say "move to us and we'll sort things out for you". They have a strong reputation for kicking Openreach's ... yeah, and usually get a good outcome in the end. If you end up going via TTB instead of BTw then they also seem to be pretty on top of things if AAISP want TTB to be. Both backhauls are now part of the DLM trial as far as I know, previously TTB wasn't which was why it took a while before my line could get a DLM reset performed (banded).

I'm also curious to know what modem you're using and whether you tried a different chipset when you were fastpath? For example, I'm on an ECI DSLAM (unfortunately) and I've found that the Infineon/Lantiq chipset in a modem works better on my line compared to using a Broadcom chipset. I get around the same sync rate as the Broadcom on my current two lines (but all lines work differently), if not better (by using a negative DS SNRM target offset). I get fewer error seconds than a modem using a Broadcom chipset. Latency is also a millisecond or two lower than Broadcom.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:05:05 AM »

For ages now I have used Broadcom based routers, Zyxels and now a Netgear (see sig).

Stuart

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »

Have you tried capping your line yet? Interleaving can be very sticky on some lines.

Despite being ILQ green everyday for over 6 months my line remained interleaved until I applied a cap for a few days.

I don't believe your DSLAM suffers from the rogue modem issue. If it did it would be stuck in the open profile left after the DLM reset.

My recommendation would be to call the line at 50Mb for a few days.
Past experience tells me that should definitely remove the interleaving.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »

Well I've finally given in and reduced my line speed to 50000kbps manually (interestingly the Netgear uses adslctl not xdslctl) and will see if anything happens although I am not hopeful. Unfortunately my ES rate went up a bit because of a very large number of lightning strikes in the Channel and the French coast which always adversely affects me as I'm only about 800 yards from the coastline here and about 130 ft ASL.

Stuart

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 10:46:10 AM »

I just ask out of interest, so I understand.

Is latency a pain for you? Are you a gamer?

I am an odd fish myself who loves interleave, perhaps the only one who wants it put up. :-)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »

No I'm not an online gamer. However I know my line is capable of running fastpath and infact not banded both of which seem to be permanent on my line and I find that unacceptable, I'm paying for up to 80meg and I believe my line should run to its maximum capability to comply with my contract, running interleaved and capped is not allowing this.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »

I hope the current cap works. I doubt that you will notice that it is in place but depending on prevailing the errors a bigger cap may be needed.  Again you may not notice it.  However if fastpath returns you ought to notice that as an improved response time, I certainly did.  At least 15 days of a cap is usually needed and some have needed longer.

It has been said before but a change of ISP from TT to one that uses the fast DLM profile would both reset the DLM and provide a factor of 2 increase in the permitted error levels for fastpath.   My line currently jumps between fastpath and interleaved a few times a year unless I maintain a small speed cap.

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »

Be careful especially as DLM intervention using capped speeds is not really known. 

With thunderstorms due you do not want DLM to think your line is having trouble running at 50Mb and take action of further banding especially with what it may think is a max sync speed of 50Mb.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 05:56:21 PM »

I very much doubt DLM will notice the storms as the are not over the UK so only folks like me close to the coast will see the issues and my Netgear seems much better than the ZyXELs were at coping. My line is already capped at 60000kbps by DLM and has been for months.

Stuart

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 06:37:20 PM »

Very warm and humid conditions will lead to thunderstorms developing across parts of Southern England, the South and West Midlands and Wales on both Saturday and Sunday.

Being in the south I'l definitely be watching the errors and maybe turning the turning the modem off if its as bad as the ones last month.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »

Well after 2 weeks capped at 50000kbps DLM put me on fast path this morning. I stll have my manual cap applied so will leave that for a couple of days as we have some work being done in a few days which will mean a power down for some hours while it is being completed, after which I will allow a normal sync with no manual cap.

Stuart

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2018, 08:32:14 AM »

Did your manual cap survive the DLM resync then? I only ask as I am considering capping my line and knowing I only need to reinstate it after a hardware reboot would be valuable information.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2018, 08:33:28 AM »

Did your manual cap survive the DLM resync then? I only ask as I am considering capping my line and knowing I only need to reinstate it after a hardware reboot would be valuable information.

Well it did on my current router (see sig).

Stuart
Pages: [1] 2

anything