Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Possible modem fault?  (Read 1359 times)

michty_me

• Reg Member
Possible modem fault?
« on: May 24, 2018, 09:12:08 AM »

For the past few months I've had a few issues with my combo modem router locking up and the only way to recover it is a power down and back up.
My setup has been running faultlessly for years but in January I returned home from offshore to find my D7000 locked and upon resync after a power cycle my sync speed had dropped by 3/4 of its potential. Zen had an engineer out who gave it the all clear and reset my profile.

It seems every 30 days or so, My D7000 locks up requiring a power cycle to get back up and running. The same occurred this weekend when I was away and returned Tuesday night. Obviously with it possibly being locked up for a good few days, My sync speed has taken a bit of a hit.

According to my DSLstats, There is nothing that would cause alarm such as high ES, Infact they are very low.

Would you recommend returning to a dual box HG612 and use the D7000 as an access point only for now to see if the problem persists? I've kept loads of old firmwares locally on my PC so was also considering a roll back.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Possible modem fault?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:37:54 AM »

Is it possible that there has been an automatic software update?

I’m wondering if this is a software bug triggered by certain conditions, or a hardware fault such as bad ram, bad psu, overheating or forty things.

I would swap all the kit out if it were my gear and go for what you fancy best straight away.

I personally don't like combined switches firewalls router modems and wireless thingummies all in one box much, too complicated and one tends to be compromising on something. But that's just my own personal odd opinion. But one advantage of separate boxes is that one can swap out and isolate devices.

Sorry not to be more helpful, not much to go on yet. Some hardware debugging things might be to swap out the psu first and arrange for a lot of excessive cooling. That might be worth a try.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:42:26 AM by Weaver »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »

Definately try a different setup. That's the only way to eliminate issues.

I remember years ago with the HH4 or 5 (I forget) one night it just kept rebooting all the time. Luckily I'd already bought the HG612 modem and a router so I just swapped the setup and didnt have a problem again.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:16:13 AM »

I'll go for swapping back to the HG612 and go with that for a month or two and put the D7000 into access point mode only.

I can't remember if I updated the modem around December or not to be honest. Glad I kept the old versions of firmware so that may be an option. It seems googling the issue has given a good few hits on the subject with the D7000. Not sure if I should go older firmware first or different modem first. Hmmm.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 12:05:07 PM »

Not sure if I should go older firmware first or different modem first. Hmmm.

Path of least resistance? Changing the firmware is quicker than swapping out boxes. Although if you have not changed the firmware in this time its unlikely to have changed itself.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 12:28:56 PM »

I have changed it a couple of times lately but can't recall if I started doing this after the January lockup or before. I'll revert it back tonight to a known working beta.

Just for general interest, Is there anything that a line fault that could cause a modem to lock up? I'm guessing know as it would either just drop or show errors?

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 09:16:36 PM »

Ok, I've installed a firmware I had from a few years back but for some reason, I can't run DSL stats now?

Edit: Sorted, Forgot that the older firmware you had to remove the telnet username and password. Now we wait....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:23:43 PM by michty_me »

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 09:22:35 PM »

Is it possible that there has been an automatic software update?

I’m wondering if this is a software bug triggered by certain conditions, or a hardware fault such as bad ram, bad psu, overheating or forty things.

I would swap all the kit out if it were my gear and go for what you fancy best straight away.

I personally don't like combined switches firewalls router modems and wireless thingummies all in one box much, too complicated and one tends to be compromising on something. But that's just my own personal odd opinion. But one advantage of separate boxes is that one can swap out and isolate devices.

Sorry not to be more helpful, not much to go on yet. Some hardware debugging things might be to swap out the psu first and arrange for a lot of excessive cooling. That might be worth a try.
That's is a valid point, I had to roll back my AC68U recently as after about 10 days the WiFi would drop out, that requires a reboot of the router.
Thankfully I am a two box user, so the restarting does not bother the DLM.

Though, I do think I have a hardware fault, as I am still getting WiFi issues as the power seems to drop after around 7 days. Maybe new router time, as it also has a bad port.

However back on track, firmware verification is always a worthwhile check.
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U