Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Variation between lines  (Read 1789 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Variation between lines
« on: May 24, 2018, 12:25:57 AM »

[I do sincerely apologise if I have asked this before.]

Why does the performance of my copper lines differ - physical cause I mean?

Tomorrow with any luck I shall be able to get some very detailed stats on the two lines that differ the most, which is the two copper pairs that are in the same bundle, in the same one drop cable to the house, most suprisingly of all. I will get bits-per-bin and QLN figures on each.

Until recently there was a 23-30% difference in upstream sync rate between these lines, in favour of cwcc@a.1, and a 5% difference in downstream, same winner. Line cwcc@a1. was the first installed, re-run in 2003 with a thorough chuck-out of nasty old exterior wiring on the table-end wall as part of a change-point-of-entry booked back then. The weaker performer is the second copper pair in that same drop cable activated in 2011 iirc.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Variation between lines
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 01:05:15 AM »

Crosstalk and the quality of the pair which a line uses I guess are the main factors. My current two lines both differ somewhat.

For example, one line has an upload sync rate of around 16 Mbps while the other is around 12 Mbps. One of my lines has not far from twice the amount of errored seconds compared to my other line.

Line 1 (DrayTek Vigor 2860 using DSL driver 5.7.6.13.1.7):
Downstream ES (past 24h): 413
Downstream SNRM: 4 dB~ (offset -2.0 dB)
Downstream Sync Rate: 67,654 Kbps
Upstream Sync Rate: 16,146 Kbps

Line 2 (ECI /r with LEDE using DSL driver 5.9.0.12.1.7):
Downstream ES (past 24h): 651
Downstream SNRM: 6 dB~ (no offset)
Downstream Sync Rate: 57,753 Kbps
Upstream Sync Rate: 12,881 Kbps

ECI DSLAM (ugh) on line card running version 0xd086 (208.134). No G.INP yet, sadly.

I've swapped modems around on the lines in the past just to double check one isn't performing better than the other and that's not changed much really. I could probably reduce the downstream SNRM target a little further if I wanted to get a bit more speed out of the first line. Obviously you aren't meant to do this, but it's not as if it's harming anyone. If I get a line fault develop then I'll revert it back to using no offset :).

At the previous house I lived in until early this year, both lines there significantly differed in performance.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 01:26:05 AM »

For the overall "health status" of a metallic pathway, I would always first look at the Hlog and QLN plots for any obvious signs of physical defects.

For each line, harvest the output of the following commands and send the two sets of output to me, unmodified in any way, along with the date/time each harvest was obtained.

The commands --

xdslctl info --state
xdslctl info --show
xdslctl info --stats
xdslctl info --SNR
xdslctl info --QLN
xdslctl info --Hlog
xdslctl info --Hlin
xdslctl info --HlinS
xdslctl info --Bits
xdslctl info --pbParams
xdslctl info --linediag
xdslctl info --linediag1
xdslctl info --vendor
xdslctl info --cfg
xdslctl info --webstats
xdslctl info --vectoring
xdslctl profile --show
xdslctl --version

In exchange for that data I will be able to provide you with four plots (for each line) --
  • Bit Loading per sub-carrier
  • Hlog per sub-carrier
  • QLN per sub-carrier
  • SNR per sub-carrier
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:54:55 AM »

That is very kind of you.  ::) I will begin harvesting the data when Mrs Weaver can plug all the new
modems in for me. Two more ebay ones have arrived from France now.

I wrote a program to help strip the data down and turn it into csv files for importing into a spreadsheet and so I have been getting pretty pictures from charts therein.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »

I wrote a program to help strip the data down and turn it into csv files for importing into a spreadsheet and so I have been getting pretty pictures from charts therein.

What does that look like when doing it from your ipad? Can you make bash or some other type of shell scripts?

Apologies for my ignorance, and sorry if this is of no relevance but:

I just had a google about how I would attack getting automated graphs/data from routers from just an iOS device, I know you have mentioned not using python much, but there seems to be well supported IDE and runtime for python called pythonista, even has functional 'pip' the python package manager, so you can get new libs to do things.

For example, logging into the router via telnet and getting data out can be done in a few lines:

Code: [Select]
import sys
import telnetlib

HOST = "192.168.2.1"

user = b"admin"

password = b"password"

tn = telnetlib.Telnet(HOST)

tn.read_until(b"Login:")

tn.write(user + b"\n")

tn.read_until(b"Password:")

tn.write(password + b"\n")

tn.read_until(b">")

tn.write(b"xdslctl info\n")

tn.write(b"exit\n")

output = (tn.read_all().decode('ascii'))

#do something with output like save to file

fo = open("linestats", "w")
    fo.write(output)
    fo.close()

There are lots of simple to use plotting libs, or even just getting the data into nice cvs format is easy as string manipulation is so straight forward in python.

Again sorry if this is obvious stuff to you, just how I'd start going about it on an ipad.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »

Yes, I had a look at Pythonista, but I don't speak Python and just didn't know where to start. If you speak Python that's where you should be heading.

I used the WorkFlow programming environment (Apple bought the developers up).

I've written a some stuff to talk to the Dlink modems, also to control and monitor my Firebrick router and so forth, all in Workflow already. Workflow for some reason has no telnet library function but it does have something nice to speak SSH and do RPC. But at the moment I can't get the ZyXel modems to speak SSH successfully so might fix that by plugging a direct network cable into the modem from my main lan switch, that means no NAT through the router to access the modems’ admin i/f as currently and SSH will then work so WorkFlow will be happy. Phew.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »

But at the moment I can't get the ZyXel modems to speak SSH successfully so might fix that by plugging a direct network cable into the modem from my main lan switch, that means no NAT through the router to access the modems’ admin i/f as currently and SSH will then work so WorkFlow will be happy. Phew.

To test you could enable wireless on one of your VMG1312s and connect directly to it from the ipad, if ssh works then it would prove the need for a second cable to each.

Sure you have been through it, but from a linux system sshing into them gives:
Code: [Select]
Unable to negotiate with 192.168.2.1 port 22: no matching key exchange method found. Their offer: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1

And I have to supply more arguments to allow the weaker key exchange, does your iOS ssh client do similar?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 09:45:30 AM »

My iOS SSH tools don't give any debugging info unfortunately. I used the Prompt 2 SSH client and that just throws up its hands in dismay.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 09:53:49 AM »

I think you might be correct about the SNAT foolery stopping ssh working, I only have a billion 8800 on my line at the moment, but even with the extra arguments it just drops the ssh session "connection closed".

I feel like I have successfully sshed into a zyxel before through the one cable PPPoE & SNAT solution...  :hmm:

Would def try the wireless thing, few clicks in the GUI to test.