Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Begin FTTP Rollout in Edinburgh and Train New Engineers  (Read 1221 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/05/openreach-begin-fttp-rollout-in-edinburgh-and-train-new-engineers.html

Openreach (BT) has today confirmed that they’ve begun the rollout of Gigabit capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP) broadband technology in Scotland’s capital city of Edinburgh. As part of that they’ve also invested £400,000 in a new “fibre training school” for the region that is based in Livingston.

The urban deployment has already begun in Corstorphine and Newington, with places like Murrayfield, Abbeyhill and western Dalry expected to follow. The capital joins places like Altnaharra in Sutherland and Innerleithen in the Scottish Borders which already have some FTTP capabilities, alongside around 8,000 premises that now have access to FTTP as part of the separate state aid fuelled Digital Scotland “superfast broadband” project.

Clive Selley, Openreach CEO, said:

“When it comes to delivering world class digital infrastructure, Openreach people in Scotland have unrivalled experience, expertise and capability – and we want that to continue.

Our new engineers are helping us provide better service, broader coverage and faster broadband speeds throughout the country, and this new training school will make sure they have the skills they need to get the job done.

We’re confident that our investment in people and networks across Scotland have a big role to play in the country’s future economic success.”

The 8 Major UK Cities (Initial FTTP Rollout)
Birmingham
Bristol
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Leeds
Liverpool
London
Manchester

It's good to hear news that OR are working on building the FTTP network. It'll be interesting to see how long the project will take in Edinburgh. Hopefully it'll also be a good training experience for new engineers.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
Re: Openreach Begin FTTP Rollout in Edinburgh and Train New Engineers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »

I am disgusted that Openreach have started their commercial Fibre First programme in major cities. Don't they know there are loads of rural premises that make far more commercial sense and, with a bit of grit, could be deployed to far more cheaply than the fully ducted and densely clustered premises they are working on instead?

Openreach need more fibre. Moral and optic.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:28:54 PM »

I have been to Allt an h-Eirbhe (somehow anglicised as Alltnaharra) many years ago. Now that is out of the way, up in the wilds in the middle of Sutherland. So there is hope yet. Not many people there.

The name suggests some confusion with Allt na h-Àiridh, where an àiridh is a sheep-pen and every place has one, ours is right below my house, usually a stone-walled divided enclosure, although ours is a nasty clangy metal modern thing and I don't know where the old one is, will have to ask my next door neighbour.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:42:24 PM »

Blimey Weaver I thought my response was babble: it was at least vaguely on topic  :D

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »

I've noticed that apart from London, CityFibre are also building in those cities as part of the first 50 towns and cities they are working on.

Will they be using the same ducts or will they be building separately?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 03:20:47 PM »

Ignitionnet speaks the truth. I was interested that such an extremely remote spot got mentioned. Wonder why.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »

I've noticed that apart from London, CityFibre are also building in those cities as part of the first 50 towns and cities they are working on.

Will they be using the same ducts or will they be building separately?

They absolutely won't be using the same ducts.

anything