Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Setting default gateway to give internet access to modem eg ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A  (Read 1733 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Setting a default gateway on a LAN-facing ethernet port of a modem or modem/router in modem-only mode eg ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A is a pain where sometimes they do not appear to have any '(default) gateway' setting showing in their admin web ui where they let you specify the IP address of the admin i/f, a netmask if IPv4 or a prefix length and then -nothing- !

I'm wondering if the issue can be fixed in the CLI of eg a Broadcom based device such as my ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A. Does anyone know the relevant CLI command assuming it is possible?

This is assuming that it can set a default route for internet access to the interface mapped to one of the lan-facing ethernet ports, this needs to be a route for IPv4 0.0.0.0 and :: for IPv6. That is another problem.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Another Q :- Does anyone’s modem itself have internet access anyway when their modem/router is in PPPoE modem-only mode?

So that say the modem’s internal timekeeping by NTP works, the modem can do DNS lookups and it can ping an address out on the public internet, say you can ping 8.8.8.8 for example at the modem’s own telnet / SSH CLI ?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:03:32 PM by Weaver »

22over7

• Reg Member

Warning: this may not be very helpful. Yes, you can login to a VMG1312-B10A as supervisor, go to the unix shell, and ping eg. 8.8.8.8. At least, you can in my setup, which is a "two-wire" situation. You can even, at least temporarily, setup name resolution, so you can ping bbs.co.uk, or whatever. If you get in as supervisor, get into sh, and look at what the symlink /etc/resolv.conf points to, and setup it target to something appropriate (in my case 192.168.1.254, my router, running dsnmasq), you can use DNS names to wget or curl something interesting to you.  This can be convenient, or at least amusing, but I have not found it useful.  The DNS will disappear after a few hours (I don't know why), and the stuff you download, for example, in the hope of eg setting up ssh keys for login won't work (but, please, disabuse me).

The only way I have found to ssh into the VMG1312-B10A is by using the rather horrifying "ssh -o KexAlgorithms=+diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 -o ciphers=+3des-cbc supervisor@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (I got this from the AAISP website). The only benefit of doing so,  that I know, is that you can get into a faintly unix-like environment, that is half-way understandable.

As for NTP, somewhere in these forums is a post that explains how to use the Zyxel GUI to set NTP using a ip4 address for an NTP server so that the modem knows roughly what time it is.

There may be some clever way to mitigate some of these shortcomings. I don't know. It's interesting to poke around, see what's running, ports open, etc, but in my opinion, nothing of genuine practical use can be set up.

Sorry to be so vague (and forgetful).

If it is any help, on my B10A,
~ # route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.2.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 br1
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 br0
default         192.168.1.254   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 br0
~ #

Hank

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

I think I am seeing the good default route and a general default gateway/first hop to 192.168.1.254 which is excellent. I need to get something like that set up on my box, with the two wire setup, but heaven knows what the magic runes required might be.

The corresponding two wire setup in my case would involve all real public global routable ip addresses because that is what my main lab subnet range is, I don't use NAT and RFC 1918 addresses for my main LAN, no NAT in the ordinary state of affairs just makes life so simple.