Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Billion 8800nl r2  (Read 8425 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Billion 8800nl r2
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »

first submit your upgrade request here**: https://www.idnet.net/support/guides/basics/adsl2plus.php
** i dont know if it's possible but adsl2 is better for you than adsl2+. but they might offer just adsl2+ which is worth trying.
The OP's (Stevie1978) exchange is not enabled for 21CN WBC services and there is no presence for LLU. ADSL2+ is not going to be available for ANY ISP - the best he can get is ADSL (G.DMT modulation).

if its not a hassle you can show me the pages in the advanced and if its too easy then the rest of the pages in the router to be done with it xd
There's nothing really in the advanced settings that is going to "optimise" his connection, at least in relation to his connection between the modem and the exchange.

As for firewall and UPnP, I would strongly recommend the former is enabled and that the latter is disabled in situations where it is not needed as it tends to have security implications.

The max MTU on the mass of Billion devices is 1492 bytes, not 1500. That is the highest value you could try, but I do not know which value would work best on IPStream services (ADSL Max) and the benefit of an increased MTU in terms of throughput is generally small.

Stevie1978, perhaps you could look at https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm and identify what your socket looks like so we can better assist you in your cabling/filtering?

Also, you might want to ask mods to remove Screenshot_2018-05-20-15-47-49.png since it exposes your landline number... since I imagine your login address is based on that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:48:58 PM by re0 »
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 06:13:12 PM »

The OP's (Stevie1978) exchange is not enabled for 21CN WBC services and there is no presence for LLU. ADSL2+ is not going to be available for ANY ISP - the best he can get is ADSL (G.DMT modulation).
There's nothing really in the advanced settings that is going to "optimise" his connection, at least in relation to his connection between the modem and the exchange.

As for firewall and UPnP, I would strongly recommend the former is enabled and that the latter is disabled in situations where it is not needed as it tends to have security implications.

The max MTU on the mass of Billion devices is 1492 bytes, not 1500. That is the highest value you could try, but I do not know which value would work best on IPStream services (ADSL Max) and the benefit of an increased MTU in terms of throughput is generally small.

Stevie1978, perhaps you could look at https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm and identify what your socket looks like so we can better assist you in your cabling/filtering?

Also, you might want to ask mods to remove Screenshot_2018-05-20-15-47-49.png since it exposes your landline number... since I imagine your login address is based on that.
never said it would improve the connection. about upnp its funny how everyone keeps overestimating its importance on PC's and ignore its downside when suggesting it's turned off when Wifi hacking is far more risky on PC's without security holes. but its true he can enable it any time as needed, i just gave a set and forget and warned that the PC will still remain the security hole for this router. 1500 worked for him but should try "ping google.com -l 1472 -f" should succeed and the same with 1473 instead of 1472 should fail. about his request theres no harm in that request but if you are right then my bad and thank you for revealing what to expect.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:16:29 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 06:14:43 PM »

The 1478 MTU may be the optimum value for throughput. The idea is that there'll be no wasted space in a partly filled ATM cell for a full size packet, which outweighs the loss from the reduction in packet size.

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »

The 1478 MTU may be the optimum value for throughput. The idea is that there'll be no wasted space in a partly filled ATM cell for a full size packet, which outweighs the loss from the reduction in packet size.
it's a max mtu, he can set it lower on his pc.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »

Now removed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 01:24:30 AM »

If samknows is correct, it it sometime very out of date, and you are still on a BT 20CN exchange then you won't be able to get ADSL2 until they upgrade the exchange hardware. Hopefully that will not be too long. After many years of waiting my exchange was upgraded to BT 21CN at the end of 2015.

Check that under PPPoA (click on that entry perhaps?) it does not say "LLC" but should say "VC-MUX" for very slightly better performance in some cases only. You will probably find this is already so. If you change this setting, test.

Warning: in your case the earlier advice about using VC-MUX only holds if using PPPoA. You probably are using PPPoA so all good. If you are using "PPPoE", which you should not be, and you have a BT 20CN exchange then you will not successfully be able to use VC-MUX. Whatever, if you find it doesn't work after you change to VC-MUX, then change back to LLC.

* The MTU of 1478 is a slight performance tweak. (That is the optimal value for PPPoA VC-MUX.) It will give you a slight improvement in speed compared to MTU 1500.

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 02:07:34 AM »

If samknows is correct, it it sometime very out of date, and you are still on a BT 20CN exchange then you won't be able to get ADSL2 until they upgrade the exchange hardware. Hopefully that will not be too long. After many years of waiting my exchange was upgraded to BT 21CN at the end of 2015.

Check that under PPPoA (click on that entry perhaps?) it does not say "LLC" but should say "VC-MUX" for very slightly better performance in some cases only. You will probably find this is already so. If you change this setting, test.

Warning: in your case the earlier advice about using VC-MUX only holds if using PPPoA. You probably are using PPPoA so all good. If you are using "PPPoE", which you should not be, and you have a BT 20CN exchange then you will not successfully be able to use VC-MUX. Whatever, if you find it doesn't work after you change to VC-MUX, then change back to LLC.

* The MTU of 1478 is a slight performance tweak. (That is the optimal value for PPPoA VC-MUX.) It will give you a slight improvement in speed compared to MTU 1500.
He is using PPPoA with VC-MUX. But he should only set 1478 on his devices (why set it on the router? it's less good), + mtu 1500 is the internet standard and can work faster as long as he doesn't cap his speed and up to him to decide if a 2% speed increase is worth it.

I think he should look at TCP Optimizer to make sure his few possible TCP settings on the PC are correct. As well as disabling some network card features. I personally chose to disable all my available settings except for Receive Side Scaling.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:49:44 AM by spring »

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 02:13:21 AM »

Thinkbroadband and CodeLook also confirm that the exchange is lacking LLU and WBC connectivity, so no ADSL2/2+ capable hardware is there. There is an article at ISP Review (https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/02/bt-update-uk-fttp-sogea-3db-21cn-wbc-broadband-plans.html) that does say that BT intends to replace all remaining IPStream exchanges with WBC by the end of 2018, so perhaps it may become a reality if the plans have not changed.

FTTC does exist on cabinets served by SSTRY, but only P2, P3, P7 and P8. Though in this case it uses another exchange as the "handover" (I believe what it is called) which will have 21CN WBC and required backhaul for FTTC connections. It makes sense for exchanges with a lot of premises covered to have 21CN connectivity when providing FTTC/P to nearby areas served by exchanges with very few premises (so there is effectively no need to upgrade the smaller exchange itself to provide faster services to the area).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 02:53:12 AM »

I'd stick to checking codelook and thinkbroadband tbh.
Samknows is horrendously out of date.

It's not the resource it once was sadly.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 03:12:32 AM »

I'd stick to checking codelook and thinkbroadband tbh.
Samknows is horrendously out of date.

It's not the resource it once was sadly.
I don't know why but it shows "FTTC": https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1222366&postcodedet=GL194EU
And it doesn't have adsl2..... hm ok.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 03:29:14 AM »

I don't know why but it shows "FTTC": https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm?xid=1222366&postcodedet=GL194EU
And it doesn't have adsl2..... hm ok.
As I essentially said before, it is because an exchange nearby (and I cannot confirm which) which presumably serves more premises already has 21CN WBC enabled and is being used as a "handover". This implies that FTTC is actually served from the other exchange (which has 21C WBC, a prerequisite for fibre-enabled services) and not the exchange that currently serves the OP's 20CN broadband and PSTN. This generally happens on exchanges with a small amount of premises where there is an exchange with more premises served nearby.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 06:24:55 AM »

I don't do the 1478 thing myself. The rationale behind 1478 lose 22 bytes of payload and gain 53 bytes of one ATM cell saved. See wikipedia article on PPPoE which does mention PPPoA briefly (disclosure: I wrote the section on PPPoEoA overheads and efficiency).

Using MTU 1500 gives you the widest compatibly with other devices on the internet. Lots of users have no choice and have to use MTU 1492.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 05:13:34 PM »

. . . it uses another exchange as the "handover" (I believe what it is called) . . .

I believe you are searching for the phrase "fibre head-end".  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 05:42:07 PM »

I believe you are searching for the phrase "fibre head-end".  :)
Thanks for correcting the terminology. Though, surely I am right in saying 21CN WBC is a prerequisite?

Stevie1978

• Just arrived
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 06:08:49 PM »

What should I set mtu to?
Also, what should I set these to
Pages: 1 [2] 3