Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Billion 8800nl r2  (Read 8412 times)

Stevie1978

• Just arrived
Billion 8800nl r2
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:53:31 AM »

Can anyone advise if their is any custom firmware?
Any tweaks ( apart from snr )?
Or optimised settings i can use to squeeze some more power out of my copper broadband.

Unfortunately, I live in a rural part of the UK that only has access to copper broadband.

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Billion 8800nl r2
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:06:21 PM »

Can anyone advise if their is any custom firmware?

Billion are not forthcoming with sources even in violation of the GPL, there is a thread gathering dust on their forums calling them out on it, but no other response than "I'l ask the engineers".

Stevie1978

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:14:04 PM »

Hope someone can help try and get the most out of the router

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:46:55 PM »

Very naughty. I wonder if their product marketing people might help if you are extra charming given the GPL responsibilities the company has.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 04:41:27 AM »

Not seen anything in relation to custom firmware for Billion devices. Though, in any case, if a custom firmware existed then it would not guarantee better connectivity between you and the exchange (I did assume you are on ADSL) - it would depend more on the DSL driver in use, and even then the difference is generally very small unless there is a bug. Furthermore, drivers are not readily available anyway (at least in reference to Broadcom, since they do no release them) so custom firmware that COULD exist for the 8800NL R2 would ship without support for xDSL (the modem part of the device) so it is out of the question.

The 8800NL R2 should do a reasonable job as-is without any tweaking. I would advise against tweaking the Sound to Noise Ratio (SNR) unless Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is switched off for your line as in some cases it can be more trouble than it is worth.

It would be helpful if you could provide stats from the router using something like telnet (some information here: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/telnet_router.htm) or SSH (you can use PuTTY if you are on Windows). Please provide copy-pasted stats from the following commands:
Code: [Select]
adsl info --stats
adsl info --vendor
adsl profile --show

It may be possible to make improvements to your connection if you provide this information for us to look at.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:43:32 AM by re0 »
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 06:09:50 AM »

Could you tell us a bit about your line, stats, attenuation, type of DSL, line length and your ISP?

There might be things that can be done, depending on how much cash you want to waste, with no guarantees of improvement in some cases. I have three extremely long lines 4.55mi 7300m long, 65dB downstream attn, ADSL2 and have put a great deal of effort into making a load of changes, very speculative, some voodoo, some not, trying everything I possibly can to get more speed and reliability. So I can tell you what I have done.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 07:08:59 AM »

Here is a link to an old list of tips : https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15971.msg297279.html#msg297279

I should be very careful with the thing about ferrites, I got ticked off for this. If you try it, you must take advice first and then test thoroughly to make sure you are not making things worse.

I have since changed to ADSL2. If you are on ADSL2+ and have an extremely long line it might be worth trying out setting your modem to ADSL2-only instead of ADSL2+ or ‘auto’ or multiple DSL type options. This might do nothing. I doesn't work for me, with my particular modem but it may work for some and is definitely worth a go.

Changing modem is very important but it's all more money. But you have a good modem anyway. It would be worth comparison testing to see if a ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A or similar (not a B10D !) is better for you.

Sorting out wiring and even going as far as change-point-of entry and getting rid of evil wired analog phones and all extensions is a big deal in terms of hassle, but possible substantial improvements.

The mains filtering that I am using (multiple types in series !) includes as Belkin AV mains filter. May or may not do anything.

I suspect that the longer the line the more chance these wacky things might have of giving some benefit. Definitely no guarantees and some of these ideas are probably very wild or just plain daft, but I have been willing to try absolutely anything and I test very carefully even though it takes a lot of time and is a pain to gather proper statistics.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:11:47 AM by Weaver »

Stevie1978

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »

Here's my stats.

Many thanks

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 03:12:23 PM »

First thing. You are using G.DMT. That is not good. Is ADSL2 (G.992.3) available to you on your exchange ? Changing to ADSL2-only would bring a big improvement.

There must be more info pages there. See Status WAN and ATM on the left? Could you screenshot those? I'm hoping that it will show 'PPPoA' somewhere too?

Oh, and who is your ISP?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:21:03 PM by Weaver »

Stevie1978

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 03:51:53 PM »

My isp is idnet.

[Moderator edited to remove an image that is leaking confidential information.]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:25:02 PM by burakkucat »

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »

is mtu suppose to be 1478 [give 1500 a shot?]
firewall off = all ports open? [if so, turn it on and enable upnp, its better trade-off]
about adsl2, you probably need to ask them to switch you to adsl2, but maybe you can screenshot the page with adsl2 / SRA / Bitswap etc
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:59:12 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Stevie1978

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 04:03:58 PM »

Switched to 1500
Upnp enabled

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 04:13:25 PM »

first submit your upgrade request here**: https://www.idnet.net/support/guides/basics/adsl2plus.php
** i dont know if it's possible but adsl2 is better for you than adsl2+. but they might offer just adsl2+ which is worth trying.

once they told you it's active in a few days or whatever, assuming it's not vdsl2 in which case you tick only that for modulation and untick sra, then:
untick g.dmt and adsl2+, and leave just adsl2 ticked.
untick sra

and see if it synced, if not,
instead tick annex l ,

didn't sync,
instead tick adsl2+

or,
instead tick annex m

i wonder what is in advanced setup  :fingers: i dont know this router

ps about upnp there will be people that will tell you to disable it under any circumstance but that is the case for specific routers or someone that wants to set trigger ports for every possible application year round, and upnp is better for multiple pc's using the same ports. or he uses just internet surfing. this is a matter of security vs convenience but first of all i dont think your router has a upnp exploit and if you keep your pc's themselves secure upnp couldnt be used to backdoor other pc's on your network. right now it's of 0 importance and i always used upnp so you can make up your mind later, because if i was correct all your ports were open and now you have them closed and opened as needed [or that was a different type of firewall, idk]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 04:33:11 PM by spring »

Stevie1978

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 04:27:51 PM »

Thanks very much for that
I will put a request in :-)

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 04:35:39 PM »

it shows the firewall as unticked, you should tick it

if its not a hassle you can show me the pages in the advanced and if its too easy then the rest of the pages in the router to be done with it xd

edit: if you do get switched to adsl2 then you can use the program DSLStats to copy paste all the stats and graph images it has in (code) tags. the best way to connect the router (higher SNR, less errors - more internet speed) is to a filtered faceplate rather than a microfilter, that are otherwise needed if you connect any telephones to the DSL sockets, but never needed if you connect the router to a faceplate. if you dont have a filtererd faceplate installed there are recommendations that others can give you here on which to buy. as well as how to check if you have a faceplate and discussions about other topics that ill let others do. however the router would be connected somewhere else that might have worse wifi signal or not be connectable with ethernet cables without getting them through walls or ceilings but you could use a wifi repeater. whether it's worth the hassle is to be seen. also you'd be surprised but the billion flat DSL cable [from router to dsl socket] has some of the highest possible syncs.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:15:54 PM by spring »
Pages: [1] 2 3