Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Backup to the internet  (Read 1103 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Backup to the internet
« on: May 19, 2018, 09:00:24 AM »

I'm wondering about a tool to back up an entire windows NT-family box to storage on the internet. The whole thing. The restore is to be done onto a new from-scratch win NT box.

Any recommendations?

Unfortunately keeping the stored data on the internet is going to cost, so that is something ?I am going to have to think about.

It needs to be something that saves ACLs / permissions etc and full advanced NTFS metadata and exotic NTFS objects. I also need to be able to restore all or some of that good stuff and ACL and ownership data selectively, and a restore must handle remapping of SIDs (is that the right term, it's been nearly eight years) intelligently, because this is not a domain, so a user named "fred" in a new box with a new o/s does not have the same user ID now as that mentioned as eg some object’s owner in an old backup image taken before an o/s wipe-and-new-install.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: Backup to the internet
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 09:44:05 AM »

Hi weaver

I might suggest R1soft/idera and you have 3 real options for restore

1 restore files/folders back to original server (all aid/perms kept)

2 restore files/folders to a different server (may not keep original sid/perms as it cannot unless you do option 3

3 bare metal restore

However, that said, if you mean you want to backup using broadband, I would strongly suggest you do not and look for a backup to run locally. I do not believe you have enough bandwidth for external backup, even with compression

Sorry if I am wrong

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:12:31 AM »

I will think about local storage some more. The thing is, I would quite like some off-premises long term storage because of fire, theft, backup media failure.

You're right, I've just done some sums and the time taken is scary. The restore costs a fortune too in bandwidth charges unless I used a resumable system and did overnight cheap-rate downloads only. I could ask someone nicely at smo.uhi.ac.uk down the road to give me some vast amount of free bandwidth. That would fix that problem.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 10:53:55 AM »

Hi weaver

Many thanks

Sorry I was thinking about your upload speed rather then download speed

I would think on your upload speed, the backup routine would never complete and it would end up using your bandwidth trying.

Can you not ask them for LOS if you can directly see them

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:05:34 AM »

I hav free upstream, apart from the cost of the ACKs of course.

smo.uhi.ac.uk is about ten miles away on the other side of a ridge. I would just move a machine there. They don't give free internet to their neighbours, of which I am not one anyway, and doubt they would be allowed to give ja.net academic bandwidth away especially not if it was chargeable. Unfortunately for the last 20+ years BT could have had a gigantic customer in the south end of Skye, but BT hasn't, so the economics of providing high-speed services to locals have not been there as BT isn't getting the big regular cash flow.