Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows XP SyncToy!  (Read 3812 times)

dave.m

• Kitizen
Windows XP SyncToy!
« on: May 23, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »

Been around a while but for anyone who has not come across it, it is very handy if you have either two partitions or (better still) an Ext HD.

Windows SyncToy is free and you can set up which folders to copy to another HD. It will then just update the newer details whenever you run it. You can run comparrison modes either way so if you have worked on folders on the Ext HD if plugged into another computeraway from home, it will update backwards to your folder on the home PC.

Simple enough to set up and only takes a couple of minutes to run an update backup every week or whenever. You have to run it manually but that is no problem.

http://tinyurl.com/7dlru

dave

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Windows XP SyncToy!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »

Very nice, thanks Dave.

I've seen it before but never investigated it. Might take another look :)

Chris

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:32:39 PM »

Chris,
I use every week .
I know that some of My Documents have been used and altered during the week but to do a full incremental backup of the whole system with Acronis or something is a bit of a fiddly thing so I just run the SyncToy every Friday.
It takes a double click on the shortcut and one click on the home page. Two minutes later it is all done. You can also run it from the Ext HD to your PC or even get it to check both ways and update each from the other if you use the Ext HD away from home.
For FREE from M$, I like it.
dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:46:20 PM »

I always thought that it was just part of Tweak Ui.

This looks like it can save me a lot of work as my network has a few folders that I would like to contain identical contents such as, programs that are either installed or just saved for storage.

Possibly even Outlook Express' saved folder (now that would really be good)

Favourites is another good one, only at the moment if the main PC is not turned on then the favorites folder is not accessible. (at the moment this is set through Tweak Ui and shared between PC's)

Question:
Does it have to be installed on each PC that is having the folder synced or just the one PC.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:07:52 PM »

Phil,
Not sure about your question of having it on two PCs. What I have on my Ext HD is a folder marked Packard Bell (the old PC make) and occasionally I plug the Ext HD into the old comp and backup certain files on there. The SyncToy is installed on both my PCs. You select which folders you want to 'pair' between the two storages and then select which action you want it to take.
It will add every new item from one drive to the other and then viciversa if you want. It will overwrite alterations or add them.
dave

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 11:26:10 PM »

The SyncToy is installed on both my PCs.
dave

OK, I think I've got it.
So by installing on both PC's you could/can sync either way depending on which PC you are on at the time.

But if only installed on one PC, then only that PC would be able to sync the folders.

Thanks,
I'll certainly be giving it a try, (possibly tomorrow or Sunday) so I'll come back and let you know how I got on.

edit 1
It sound a lot like the old Windows Briefcase program, but that would only sync with limited functions and was a bit on the fiddly side.

edit 2
Yes it's a very much updated version of Briefcase and very user friendly.
Doesn't take much setting up but has a few options that I need to get familiar with, such as the Full sync (full sync works a treat) or just the partial sync option without removing deleted or re-named files.

Just a heads up:
If after creating your sync folders (or you can select existing folders) and then you decide you want to remove them.
It's quite safe to use the "Delete Sync folders" option, (it does not delete the original files or folders) only the reference to them in SyncToys.

Thanks again Dave, nice program and well worth spending a "little time" getting it set up.

PS.
I only installed it on one of the PC's, because the PC would have to be turned on anyway, so it's no trouble just updating from that one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 06:15:38 PM by oldfogy »

anything