Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: GDPR begging overload  (Read 1929 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
GDPR begging overload
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:43:37 AM »

Spammers and desperate time wasters are all sending GDPR-please-allow-emails. Mountains of them coming in. It does tell me which email addresses to block in future anyway, in case GDPR doesn't work.

Am just praying that a huge number of fines will be imposed. Including some life-threatening ones.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: GDPR begging overload
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 08:05:03 AM »

I've had loads recently, mainly from companies I've dealt with in the past that send regular marketing emails, but some I certainly don't recognise.

I think come the 25 May my in box will be empty.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 08:39:36 AM »

Here’s hoping. I really do have some hope, maybe naïvely, that some of these time wasters will be completely scared off following the 25th.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 09:03:19 AM »

I doubt it will make any difference to the spammers, or pretty much any slightly dodgy company outside the EU.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 09:24:34 AM »

I think GDPR is putting the 'fear of god' into some small developers. I know of one guy based well outside of the EU who has ditched all his customer data just because of the threat of GDPR and if he does something wrong he gets hit with 4% of his gross turnover as a fine, his income from his software is his main income to support him and his family. Now I dont believe for a minute any action against him would succeed but he was not taking any chances.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »

I think that government needs to make it very clear that those without malicious intent will not get stuffed by prosecutions that are actually ‘not in the public interest’. If you are an actual spammer or doing something intentionally evil then let the axe fall upon thee. People who were not trying to harm anyone just trying to get their work done or to provide services to users with their convenience and ease of use in mind are not those who ought to even have to worry. If the latter have got things wrong then they just need advice and not The Spanish Inquisition. [Where is Burakkucat?]

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »

I've been reading an article about this yesterday and it said that in the notification email that we had to make an affirmative action to accept it.

But the emails I've had are just notifying me of a privacy policy update. They haven't asked me to do anything. Is this complying with the law or should they be asking me to do something?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »

I've had a range of emails ranging from, if you don't accept we'll no longer contact you, to you don't need to do anything. Seems to depend on if they a some sort of service provider to me or just sending marketing emails.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 10:57:47 PM »

But the emails I've had are just notifying me of a privacy policy update. They haven't asked me to do anything. Is this complying with the law or should they be asking me to do something?

It's not clear.  There's been parts Ive been scratching my head over and not sure if they apply or not.   From another forum where I asked advice there are an awful lot of confused people not quite sure what they should be doing.    I think many are erring on the side of caution, but I've had emails from some pretty large organisations who would be able to afford proper legal advice who aren't asking for re-opt in.

There's no proper guidance for forums, and its become a big headache for some - most who aren't doing anything malicious.    I tried to get clarification on something yesterday from their help line and spent an hour on the phone listening to "We are experiencing high demands of calls please stay on the line" before hanging up.  :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 10:59:09 PM »

I doubt it will make any difference to the spammers, or pretty much any slightly dodgy company outside the EU.

This ^.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 11:25:40 PM »

I had a GDPR reminder to my personal domain, it is a .co.uk so that could be why must admit I was a bit confused by it as I dont have any customers. Not now anyway in fact last time I updated the site was 2005.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 11:40:38 AM »

Re the illegal scammers and spammers, both inside and beyond EU...

If they are simoly crooks, then obviously won’t take any notice of GDPR.

But even crooks must still find a source of data for their illegal activities.   Often, their source comes from legitimate databases that have leaked.   If GDPR reduces the number of databases on which I appear, I reason it will also reduce the probability of leaked data that includes my details.   That should in turn reduce the number of scammers and spammers who get hold of my contact details. :)

Question... will BT have to ask customers whether they wish to “opt in” to directory listings?   Obviously, people are already opted in unless ex-directory, but I don’t think companies can rely on old agreements, unless these old agreements already met GDPR’s stringent standards.   Specifically, you should now have to explicitly “opt in”, rather than “opt out”, to use of your data.    I never saw or signed the contract all these years ago (other half sorted it out) but it strikes be the BT phone book listing was perhaps an “opt out” model. :-\

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 08:35:56 PM »

GDPR as seen by xkcd: https://xkcd.com/1998/
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 01:06:31 AM »

:lol: :lol:
-----

anything