Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New Mother Board Ram & CPU  (Read 10368 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: New Mother Board Ram & CPU
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »

I use Mediportal, have done for years now. Have it running on my server as a TV Server, also running on our other PC's for playback etc. Generally it's very stable.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 09:53:20 PM »

As others have suggested, I would first invest in a SSD - keeping your current drives as internal or external storage. The performance gain from a SSD will make you feel as you have a new system and you may even decide a new mb/cpu are unnecessary.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 09:56:54 PM »

And of course secure it properly. Never log in as an admin and disable the auto elevation prompt thing. Disallow anything from writing to the root directory and especially disallow creating new directories in the root, plus bin any rubbish ones that are there. Set acls tight on the file system. Use SRP (Software Restrictiion Policies) to ensure that code will only run if it is located in one of the official directory trees proper locations in the file system and for example SRP-blacklist everything but enable code execution in the windows directory and the \program files\ and program files (x86)\ directories and all their subdirectories of course. In particular I blacklisted the temp directory as a belt-and-braces tot sanity check and blacklisted all drive letters to cover removable drives. Don't run antivirus, it will just make a system unreliable and slow and it's pointless anyway on a well secured system because if things are done right no alien code can even run anyway. My tips for a 100% trouble free life for all my many customers and their emplyiees when I was working. Apologies sincerely if all is already obvious to you. :-)

kitfit1

• Just arrived
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 09:24:27 AM »

or you could pick up a cheap copy of Windows 7 or 8 off ebay and use the licence key to activate Windows

Modern CPU's won't run Win7 without a lot of messing about altering the O/S before you install it. This especially applies to any Ryzen CPU's. OP, if you are going to upgrade to Ryzen then factor in the cost of a Win10 licence key.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »

Or of course you could run Linux without any of that messing about  ;)  :lol:

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »

Modern CPU's won't run Win7 without a lot of messing about altering the O/S before you install it. This especially applies to any Ryzen CPU's. OP, if you are going to upgrade to Ryzen then factor in the cost of a Win10 licence key.

I suggest you reread my quote below, specifically the part in bold

or you could pick up a cheap copy of Windows 7 or 8 off ebay and use the licence key to activate Windows 10

There's absolutely no need to install W7 or W8, just install W10 then use the licence key from W7 or W8 to activate.

Note, I did this in the latter part of last year, but as far as I'm aware it still works - MS wants people on Windows 10, you may well even be able to use an old key  ;)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianmorris/2018/01/26/how-to-get-windows-10-for-free-in-2018/#5d3cd47c5145

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 03:14:08 PM »

edit: blah. I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:00:28 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 04:25:44 PM »

There is some truth behind it, as far as I know it relates to the availability of chip set drivers within the OS installation files, I had similar issues installing W7 on a NUC in the end I simply installed W10 and activated it via the W7 key.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11182/how-to-get-ryzen-working-on-windows-7-x64

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 05:20:15 PM »

When I am unable to install and use my one W7 system that will be the end of me using M$ software, I only have one small footprint PC using W7 and it runs my weather stuff and DSLStats because it runs 24x7.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 05:23:05 PM »

Windows installations (or any other OS) are identical regardless of the CPU in use.

MS/Intel have been known to do things to encourage people to upgrade to Windows 10 such as https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/221389-microsoft-skylake-owners-must-upgrade-to-windows-10-within-18-months-future-cpus-will-require-latest-operating-systems - though I believe there is an unofficial patch which bypasses this and allows older OS to continue working on newer cpus

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 06:11:51 PM »

Kitfit1 is quite correct in what he says.

This happens on my Ryzen 7 processor

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »

Just purchased a SSD 860 EVO 250GB to-day £72 did a clone of Win10 Pro HDD drive to SSD using free EaseUS todo that went very well until boot up time using SSD boot issue, have been using dual boot for so long the MBR (master boot record) needed fixed on the SSD by Win10 USB installation media and command prompt bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd done the trick.

The result is fabulous what a difference  ;D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 06:30:33 AM »

Yes they make a lot of difference, and if you don't have sata 3 on your motherboard then you won't be seeing the full potential, but still a huge improvement over a normal HDD. Good choice of drive as well.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 07:45:03 AM »

In real world use the difference between interfaces is minimal. I recently went from an SSD on sata 2 to NVMe with an order of magnitude higher throughput and the difference in day to day use is negligible.

Its the massive reduction in seek and random access time that makes the change from HDD to SSD such a jump.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 09:48:45 AM »

SSD does boost I/O considerably. However a portion of the observed performance uplift would be seen if copying the system to a fresh HDD, or clearing and restoring the existing HDD.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything