Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AAISP email  (Read 5361 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
AAISP email
« on: May 17, 2018, 02:37:17 PM »

Does anyone here use AAISP's email system and if so do you do spam training by moving emails to learnspam and learnham?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Re: AAISP email
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:58:17 PM »

Hi jelv

Sorry I do not use AAISP but I think you are referring to basian learning.

If so, basian learning requires both learn ham and spam to work correctly, and it has to meet a certain number of each every day

We found that most users of email do not use learn ham and spam, and as a result, the basian filter was not working as expected.

We have for many years turned basian off in full, but we do use other measures such as spam assassin (updated hourly) etc...

If I am wrong, please accept my apologies

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:36:16 PM »

Yes, and yes. I think it uses Bayesian learning.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 03:46:01 PM »

We have for many years turned basian off in full,

Hi John, so I might as well stop dutifully moving spam to the learn spam folder then?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 03:57:23 PM »

Until sometime earlier this month, emails would be moved overnight back to the appropriate folders (learnham -> inbox, learnspam -> spam). It has now stopped doing that so I raised a support email which got the following response:

I've just checked with our ops team and they inform me that feature is not currently working. We hope to have this back when our new mail servers go live later in the year. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm somewhat surprised that they turned this off without posting a notice or amending the help documentation.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 04:04:19 PM »

I copied things to the learnspam / learnham folders, rather than moving them.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »

Hi ronski

Sorry... it’s one thing I never think to let know to users

Your one of the very few who do it but basian needs everyone to do it to work properly.

However, we can turn on individually if you want to use basian filtering but honestly, it works far better without it, because there are fewer false positives wheee genuine email is spammed

If you want it turned on for you, please let me know

Many thanks

John

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 04:26:06 PM »

@d2d4j

Are you talking about AAISP's system?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:30:18 PM by jelv »

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 04:29:09 PM »

I copied things to the learnspam / learnham folders, rather than moving them.
Doesn't that mean you end up with duplicates when they are learnt by the overnight processing?
https://support.aa.net.uk/Default_Folders says move not copy.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 04:30:55 PM »

Yes I suppose it could mean I end up with duplicates. I recall now that I had noticed things disappearing out of the ham/spam folders. I havent noticed duplicates being created after copies were put into learnham at least.

I have been doing the ham/spam thing every day. I moved to using AA email in February.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:34:32 PM by Weaver »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 04:58:26 PM »

Hi jelv

No sorry.

Learn ham/spam usually indicate basian filtering, so I was just letting you know over our experiences in using basian filtering

Many thanks

John

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »

I was puzzled by your offer to turn on basian filtering for Weaver who also uses AAISP's mail system!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 06:04:31 PM »

Baysian can be configured globally or on a per user basis, I got no idea which way AAISP have it configured, but I am impressed they have a system setup allowing their customers to move emails to specific ham or spam categories.

I am also not aware of a minimum requirement for it to function, but reliability will increase with a higher amount of learning.

If I was a customer of AAISP and used their email, then to answer your question Jelv I would be utilising the feature.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 06:40:59 PM »

AA email has whitelist / blacklist rules based on a combination of any/all of to: address, from: address and/or subject line, all of which can take very simple wildcards (not full regexes).

One weird thing that support told me is that the so-called from: address match in the rules actually isn't. I'm told it really matches on some other mail header field value, can't remember for the life of me what the name of it is, it was described as ‘envelope’ <something-or-other> but that is unfortunately not the name of the header in question, I remember that much. They really really need to either fix this or at least document it. It's really annoying and misleading and you have to start digging into the guts of emails, you can't just look at the lame stuff your favourite email client shows you.

If you find the rules fail on you when you specify rules on from: address then this is what it is.  I had a persistent spammer and I couldn't block them by from: address rule even though I tried every variation I could think of for the email address match string in case I was failing to understand their wildcarding. Anyway if you have a problem, then it's either that or you have not got your mind right about their wildcarding syntax, which caught me out.

In fact there is no excuse, I should document it, I and you have access to their wiki.

Their engine doesn't seem to have the sophisticated range of actions that I had before with UKservers where you could associate actions with a rule-match such as redirecting mail, moving or binning it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 06:55:33 PM »

The sleepy cat opens one eye and hopes his brief note will not be regarded as too pedantic . . .

Thomas Bayes, c1701 - 1761, gives his name to a theorem that is the foundation of Bayesian probability. It is Bayesian probability that is used by e-mail systems, such as that you are discussing here.  :graduate:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything