Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: ZyXEL Modems - eg VMG1312-B10A - Custom Firmware MTU 1508 Maintenance  (Read 37628 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ZyXEL Modems - eg VMG1312-B10A - Custom Firmware MTU 1508 Maintenance
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2019, 08:51:21 AM »

Good stuff about the javascript library. This is fantastic stuff, much appreciated.

Alucidnation

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »

Hi guys,

Is there a command to manually adjust the SNR on these?

Had a look at the support notes and couldn't find anything obvious found in there.

:)

Hitman

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »

Hi guys,

Is there a command to manually adjust the SNR on these?

Had a look at the support notes and couldn't find anything obvious found in there.

:)

Only for adsl, dslstats has an advanced tweaks page for this or manual telnet - adsl configure --snr X (X=value of snr reduction - 50(3db),75(1.5db) etc...).

Does not work with VDSL- ignored.

Alucidnation

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »

Only for adsl, dslstats has an advanced tweaks page for this or manual telnet - adsl configure --snr X (X=value of snr reduction - 50(3db),75(1.5db) etc...).

Does not work with VDSL- ignored.

I’ll take that as a no as I’m in vdsl.

Is there any reason why it’s not available?

I don’t think it’s a Broadcom thing as there is a section on the billion 8800.

Hitman

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2019, 02:07:08 PM »

I’ll take that as a no as I’m in vdsl.

Is there any reason why it’s not available?

The command get rejected/ignored by the DLM side for VDSL.

Router/modem's with Infineon chipset can adjust the VDSL snr eg.Draytek, so would assume it is Broadcom related.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:12:07 PM by Hitman »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2019, 02:09:06 PM »

Without using questionable chipsets there is no way to manually change SNRM target on VDSL lines. Those that can do not adhere to standards and will probably give you worse sync speeds than you had without messing with it.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2019, 03:19:47 PM »

It's a Broadcom thing.
It only works on ADSL on the Billion also.

Lantiq chipsets can do what you want.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2019, 03:22:11 PM »

I doubt you'd be saying the Broadcom chipsets were questionable if their command to adjust the SNRM worked on VDSL2. Lantiq chipsets are used in various Openreach MCT approved devices.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2019, 03:46:57 PM »

If you wanted to increase your SNRM with a Broadcom modem, you could set a rate cap to reduce your speed, and then you'd end up with a higher SNRM.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2019, 03:58:42 PM »

I doubt you'd be saying the Broadcom chipsets were questionable if their command to adjust the SNRM worked on VDSL2. Lantiq chipsets are used in various Openreach MCT approved devices.

Yeah you are right, I was conflating the mediatek chipsets that let you do all sorts of strange stuff with lantiq. Apologies!

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »

Loving the interface? I take it this has everything that DSL stats has? I take it everything can be saved to USB?

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »

The easy stats interface is just so excellent. Am using it as an API all the time. Apart from the sheer usefulness of it, as an api I can now generate automatically customised sections of config for my Firebrick router which contain upstream speed limiter values which the router requires. These speed values are derived by querying the modems using the Johnson easy-stats api. The router needs these to control the fractions of the split of traffic going to each modem according to its own speed capability. Before I had to set these numbers by hand and query the required numbers by hand. Now everything is automated including configuring the router according to the possibly changed speeds as the program can upload changed config into the router. Unfortunately I don’t have a service process / daemon running continuously to oversee this and keep things up to date as I don’t have a suitable box to run it in. The program is running in an iPad and I can’t use such a machine to do that anyway. But aside from that, it’s now just one click to update the router’s configuration to match changed modem upstream sync rates.

Having the easy-stats interface avoids the need to log in, which is irrelevant anyway and would be annoying. It would also be a minor potential security threat. For an application program’s use, if it logs in to the web admin UI, you would have to store some account username + pw somewhere, required for it to get into the modem’s admin interface, and the more places where you store passwords the more possibilities for trouble.

I haven’t yet tried writing an iPad Shortcuts program to log in using the web UI, and I don’t know how much pain that would be.

What I would like to do is test whether or not I have a johnson-easy-stats-api-speaking modem present or not. I want to handle failure conditions properly which include: (i) no modem, (ii) wrong kind of modem (one which doesn’t speak easy-stats), (iii) no speed value available because the link is not up. And I hope that that’s the complete list.

I have a problem with the program hanging in some of the error cases. It maybe that I can’t fix some of the hangs if they are due to a lack of error handling in iOS Shortcuts library routines used to talk to the modem.

I am however wondering if my application program could be made more reliable and more intelligent if it explicitly detected lack of an easy-stats speaker rather than relying on error mechanisms reporting errors or getting a bad value back from http-based queries and checks on its value turn the situation into a ‘fail’ where the fact that the return value is garbage is because we do have some modem, but it is a non easy-stats speaker, could easily be the wrong modem altogether - one of my DLink backup/swapout modems, for example. This doesn’t remove the need to do error handling properly. But if I can’t get error handling the way I want it, then I can perhaps do a workaround for some common cases, and such a workaround might improve things for the most part.

If there is a non easy-stats-speaking modem present, it will be that the wrong model of modem is connected, in my particular situation. So what I’m thinking of doing is poking it with some harmless query first. I could do a getdata, and check that it returns "DONE".

So in future releases, could we keep the getdata / "DONE" protocol? Even if it doesn’t do anything any more, it is a nop that works as a very useful presence-test.

For me though, using the pre-poke-with-getdata strategy might just replace one error-handling problem with another in some cases and it might easily be a stupid idea. There are two questions, one is: can I just fix the error handling anyway? And the second is whether or not this will improve things in practice in a real test with the wrong model of modem present. I suspect I am likely to replace one kind of hang with another. I can hope that with a DLink modem present the http queries will fail straight away, with an error code, and if so I can pick up on that without the pre-poke strategy, and if not then I’m probably stuffed anyway. But I’d like to keep this nop in the api, just in case, if that’s ok?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2019, 11:34:18 PM »

Promise I am still working on this! Have been side tracked by a few things though.

I have gziped html/css/js working with the tiny mongoose server, turned out to only be a few magic lines required, setting the media type for js.gz etc and setting the content type to gzip in the headers for responses to the directory containing them.

Also have an example version with SSL working, although it required compiling OpenSSL for MIPS and then statically linking it against the web server making the binary much heavier at ~ 1.9MB. Not sure how useful this is though, how many people actually use https (and click through the cert warnings) to access the default Zyxel GUI? Guess its a good idea for the future if we add a privileged section that can actually change settings on the modem.

The main hold up came after I started trying out the graphs on my (old) android phone, basic 24 hour or 4096 tone graphs were seriously sluggish to load. I'm not a daily chrome user, but their debugging tools are out of this world - a usb cable and "developer mode" selected on an android device and you can see detailed performance graphs for how a site loads natively on your phone on your desktop. This revealed that Chart.js is not the fastest library, so I'm looking for another. So far dygraphs is the winner, its slick and has lots of options to customise without being a nightmare to draw a basic graph and best of all its fast, a 2.9 second graph draw (on the ancient phone) down to 0.8. So need to get around to changing everything to use this.

Also, even though its probably a fools errand I have been trying to shoe horn enough of the VMG3925s build into the 1312s to get the later kernel (3.4.11 vs 2.6.30) and so broadcom dsl driver running. So far I have it booting the kernel and most of the modules loading, but nothing actually working.

@Weaver
Of course /getdata can be left in place if its useful. Was also thinking about something you mentioned in another thread about automating resyncs. This functionality could be exposed via a rudimentary API with basic authentication tokens or some such. Does 'shortcuts' let you manipulate the http headers?

@hacktrix2006
Glad you like it! Currently only has a small subset of DSLstats features. SNRM, FEC & CRC for 24 hours and current graphs for SNR, bitloading, QLN etc. USB storage for longer time periods is a definite target, but for now keeping everything as simple as possible, just viewing in the browser and saving from there is where I am at.

hacktrix2006

• Reg Member
    • xDSL Stats:
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2019, 11:57:23 PM »

how is the custom kernel doing? I am thinking of setting up something like DSLStats on my WRT32x but not sure if A it will work or B the CPU (Dualcore) would handle it as well as the internet traffic at once. I am only using the VMG1312-B10A as a modem, will continue to do so once i get Fibre (First order just got rejected).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2019, 12:43:57 AM »

. . . how many people actually use https (and click through the cert warnings) to access the default Zyxel GUI?

I only have https, ssh and ICMP enabled LAN side on my VMG1312-B10A. I just had to create and store an exception in the browser.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10