Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: ZyXEL Modems - eg VMG1312-B10A - Custom Firmware MTU 1508 Maintenance  (Read 1718 times)

Weaver

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 3 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
Re: ZyXEL Modems - eg VMG1312-B10A - Custom Firmware MTU 1508 Maintenance
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2018, 05:08:33 PM »

Many thanks !  ;D  Much appreciated

Weaver

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 3 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
Re: ZyXEL Modems - eg VMG1312-B10A - Custom Firmware MTU 1508 Maintenance
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 02:38:18 PM »

A couple of feasibility questions:

1. there is some magic incantation that will make the modem reconnect at a reduced downstream target SNRM, an override. I wonder if there might be some way of storing a setting persistently, in non-volatile storage, so that whenever the modem connects it could use this override parameter to set the initial downstream SNRM according to that value?

2. I wonder if the same tweak could be applied to the upstream direction? Perhaps this is impossible for some reason because one end (relatively) always controls this. I am not aware of the existence of any CLI command for an upstream SNRM override.

An upstream tweak down from 6dB to 3dB would help me enormously as I do struggle with upstream throughput of only 1.1 Mbps. This has got worse since I changed to the ZyXEL modems too, by about 12%. On my iPad uploading backups to the iCloud, sending files via iMessage and uploading photos is a real pain and it is the bottleneck for Facetime conversations.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything