Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach’s London FTTP Broadband Rollout Faces Wayleave Obstacle  (Read 1912 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/05/openreachs-london-fttp-broadband-rollout-face-wayleave-obstacles.html

The boss of Openreach (BT), Clive Selley, has expressed concern over the delays being caused to their rollout of 1Gbps capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP/H) broadband ISP services across the UK City of London, which is partly due to the challenge of getting permission (wayleaves) from landlords.

Wayleaves are notoriously complicated and often costly legal agreements, which grant special access to land or buildings for the deployment and management of new infrastructure, such as running a new fibre optic cable through buildings or installing related infrastructure. But these can be tricky because each land or building owner requires a separate approach and then the wayleave may need approval from tenants, which takes time.

Clive Selley, Openreach CEO, said (City A.M.):

“The one obstacle we face is with the owners of big buildings in city of London. It’s tough in London to work out who owns buildings and contact them, it’s quite unique as its an international city and buildings are owned by people across the planet.

I worry that some connections could take years if the building owners don’t come forward.”

My advice would be to forget London until they change the process. I'm sure when fibre isn't being put in they will soon change their minds.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

I'm sure some of the tenants will complain, but doubt the landlords will so long as the rent comes in.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Or we could just just pass a law, cut the crap.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

It's kind of interesting these days that at one point the government used to be very authoritarian and these days it seems nervous to make any major decision

niemand

• Kitizen

You're having a laugh. This lot are horrendously authoritarian and a bunch of people want to be dictated to some more.

In these polarised days people would be told that a wayleave adjustment would be tantamount to compulsory purchase of their properties, which is ridiculous unless Jeremy Corbyn gets into power in which case it becomes perfectly feasible.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

I understand Ignition's point. I presume there have been compulsory purchases associated with the is it HS2 train line thing?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

You're having a laugh. This lot are horrendously authoritarian and a bunch of people want to be dictated to some more.

I meant to say that they seem to be less confident to come out and say it. There are very few major decisions that they publically state. Usually decisions seem to be whispered and murmered about, and the actual decision is made in some back room with media coverage months after.

niemand

• Kitizen

If politicians are doing things they know are likely to be unpopular why would they broadcast them?

Authoritarianism and confidence don't go together, quite the opposite: politicians are authoritarian precisely because they lack confidence. To be liberal takes confidence and a commitment to convictions. To be authoritarian requires a heavy hand, ideally some deviousness so the plebs don't get uppity before you've cemented your authority, and if possible enough influential support from those on the 'right side' to benefit from the authoritarianism to make it easier to carry the plan out.

See Singapore.

anything