Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any ways on how to reduce emi noise from treadmill effecting VDSL.  (Read 2146 times)

Computerman142

Hi

Got a quick question, some family members in the house have decided to start re using the treadmill again, and unfortunately it not only driving me mad but also the line. When ever the treadmill is switched and the motor starts turning it creates a tonne of emi noise and internet cuts off and SNR plumets to 0.1db, tonnes of UAS, SES, ES, you name load of errors racking up so in turn line speed reducing soon to be by day. The line was doing so well recently 22399 and at the last stage before banding is removed, based on previous experience. Now someone decided they wanted to use the treadmill and ruin the line and now the sync speed to, great! Has any one else had this issue and how did they go about removing the EMI? I have heard you can get filters you can plug in but not sure if it would make much difference as I used an AM radio on around 600khz to see how much noise it was giving off and the amount of noise from that treadmill is awful. Unfortunately I tried to condemn the treadmill but they was met with a big disagreement so they can still use it. Will probably be back at 18000 sync tomorrow.

Thanks

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Any ways on how to reduce emi noise from treadmill effecting VDSL.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:08:39 PM »

Have you tried a mains conditioner, assuming the treadmill isn't near the phone wiring?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-6-Way-Mains-Conditioner/dp/B00UB0G4DQ

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:14:52 PM »

Unfortunately I tried to condemn the treadmill but they was met with a big disagreement so they can still use it. Will probably be back at 18000 sync tomorrow.

If it were me something mysterious would happen to it. Magical disappearing fuse maybe?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:12:18 AM »

I use 1 of these: Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner and Radio Frequency Interference Filter

Amazon points out there's a new version, but I only have experience of the model I linked to.

I needed it for an Exo Terra Sunray UV light that I use in my terrarium for my bearded dragon. Even though my terrarium is at the opposite end of the house it caused a huge increase in ES for the duration it was on.
After connecting the power supply/ballast of the UV light to the mains conditioner it 100% cured my issue.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »

Surely the treadmill would be fitted with a suppressor by the maker ? If it has gone faulty it should be the most suitable replacement ?

Computerman142

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:39:36 PM »

Thanks guys for the suggestions, and links. Made interesting reading. The issue has only started to surface recently after the treadmill had been sat a few months after no use. It used to interfere before but only dropped the SNR by a 1db or so and didn't really create many errors from what I remember just the odd few. I think I will buy one of those 6 way Tacima extension leads, most expensive extension lead I am ever going to buy lol. Though it seems to have good reviews and those forum post links convinced me