Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXel routers - XML config file transplant, duplication  (Read 902 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
ZyXel routers - XML config file transplant, duplication
« on: May 14, 2018, 01:49:19 AM »

I should soon have three ZyXel VMG1312-B10A units, with any luck. My question: Will it go nuts if I take an XML config file from one device and upload it into the wrong one (intentionally)?

I'm wondering if there is anything that is dependant on the individual unit in there, or even anything truly critical such that the device will throw up errors, or fail horribly.

The kinds of things I'm thinking about are things linked to the identity of the inidividual device by serial number or MAC address or some such so they aren't valid on the wrong unit. I think I have possibly seen a serial number mentioned somewhere. I have certainly seen a MAC address of something or other, actually can't be a hundred percent sure what it refers to.

I may in any case want to always make certain routine changes according to certain rules as part of a transplant from one device to another. If there is anything critical to watch out for, in the second category, then I will have to be really careful. I'm thinking about knocking up a duplication / modem-n customiser tool to take care of this routinely.

When I get a second unit, I can of course diff them. But there may be cases where I might not understand what's going on if there are differences.

Has anyone already done this?

Anyone really familiar with the contents of the XML config file and its meaning?

Some of the elements but not always their values will I think be documented in a standards doc related to TR-069, forget what it's called, but I have glimpsed at it briefly.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Re: ZyXel routers - XML config file transplant, duplication
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 02:20:21 AM »

I have 3 working B10A's and update them to keep them as spares. If I remember correctly I used the config file to set each one to the same settings so I can literally just swap them out as I have had one fail. I think the MAC and Serial number are hard coded to each unit and not in the config file although the serial may appear in the config file.

As for TR-069 you need clear ROM-D and find the supervisor password as detailed in the other thread. Once you have cleared ROM-D from telnet admin prompt you can login from the GUI with the supervisor name and password and set the TR-069 to be visible to the admin GUI login and disable it if required. It is a bit convoluted disabling TR-069 and logging in on a Supervisor password but you can also clear the ROM-D and save new settings to ROM-D in the supervisor priveledge.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

anything