Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Senior moment (frequency thereof ?)  (Read 883 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Senior moment (frequency thereof ?)
« on: May 13, 2018, 09:19:30 AM »

I like to keep an eye on power consumption of anything that is left 'on', especially now the warmer weather is here, in summertime the resulting energy goes to waste.  My iMac is meant to sleep when idle, but there is no indicator light to tell you whether it really is asleep or not.  And there have been times in the past when I have caught it 'failing' to sleep, thus consuming excess energy, that much is true and seems to be a common criticism of some Macs - and in fairness, most other OS's too.

So yesterday, I plugged it in via a 'power monitor' plug adapter block.  Powered up, screen on, but idle, it hovered around 50W, which impressed me as it seemed quite low.   When supposedly asleep, it drew exactly the same, about 50W.  So my suspicions were right, it was failing to sleep?  I spent hours and hours becoming expert on methods of diagnosing 'sleep' problems.  Just couldn't fathom it out, the 'pmset' logs all suggested it has slept,  the timestamp on the 'sleepimage' file was consistent, yet consumption never varied from about 50W.    ???

Only after more time and effort than I care to admit, working out why it always drew 50W regardless of sleep state, and lying awake myself worrying about it,  a final brainwave occurred during the night.  I looked more closely at the power monitor.  It was set to display 'Hz'.  :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Senior moment (frequency thereof ?)
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:01:37 AM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: That certainly made me laugh.

We've all done similar, I spent half an hour looking for my car keys once, only to find them in my trouser pocket, this was twenty years ago though. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples I've forgotten.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »

Had a 'moment' only the day before yesterday.

Was busy working out in the gym when a friend arrived who I hadn't seen for years.

A 15 minute chat ensued, whereby for some reason that I can't think of, I put my sweat gathering hand-towel (eugh) over my shoulder, instead of in my pocket.

Chat over with and onto the next piece of gym equipment, and it is at this point that I turn into a major-muppet as I spend another 5 minutes walking around the gym looking for my towel that I've realised isn't where it should be, in my pocket !!

When the penny finally dropped, I tried to style it out and pretend I was checking the various pieces of equipment, but I think this made me appear even more muppet-like !!!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 10:59:57 AM »

I am you. And then some. fully sympathise.  :)

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »

Some time ago my wife and I met a lady in the botanic gardens in Edinburgh and my wife immediately struck up a conversation with her. The woman was familiar and clearly knew us, but I couldn’t place her, but assumed my wife did judging by the friendly conversation. After we parted company I asked my wife who she was. “No idea” she replied. It was some time later before we both remembered she was a close neighbour of ours when we lived in Edinburgh!  :-[
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 12:31:56 PM by vic0239 »
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 02:52:32 PM »

Glasses on top of head, and more so if frames are light frameless. N.B. Frames were mentioned, as I don't trasport amber liquid that way. ;D