Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Suitable replacement for HG612 on long rural line?  (Read 9893 times)

johnson

• Reg Member
Re: Suitable replacement for HG612 on long rural line?
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 08:20:04 AM »

The DSLStats block is discussed in this thread... https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=20842.0

It centres around xdslctl being blocked in the current firmware I think.

I certainly do not wish to wake "He who must not be woken" so will leave the modem alone for a day now. It has held 1117 / 8626 for four hours now with just the odd FEC.

What sort of commands are you able to run in the sandboxed console in the latest firmware? Is there an "xtm" command?

DanielCoffey

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2018, 09:45:45 AM »

? gets us this... (see attached)

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2018, 09:49:46 AM »

They really locked it down tight...  :(

There are still possible firmware modifications to get xdslctl accessible again though.

How far back into old firmwares do you have to go to get it back?

DanielCoffey

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »

Not sure, but I am happy with its performance so far. It has held 1117 / 8626 overnight but has had one re-train in the early hours.

The thread talking about the DSLstats on the VMG1312-B10D did mention the firmware version you had to go back to on that model so I might have a look on the 3925 page and see what was around at the same time. I will wait for the DLM to forget about me first.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »

Fair play. How are your error numbers? Does it seem like there was a burst before the retrain?

I'l keep pottering around with 1312 to see if there is an easy way to change some things to get shell access again (they blocked it in the most recent firmware). There are cmds to get it still, but circumventing what protections they have in place could provide a better solution that doesnt get patched.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2018, 10:10:13 AM »

Yes there was... it looks like there was a burst of around 140k FEC, a few (single figures) downstream CRC and EC errors and a small number of upstream CRC/EC too.

Looking at the time it happened, we were up, had used the PC to check email and morning websites and then slept the PC to get ready and have breakfast. It is possible we have a device that is causing EMI so I will have a look over the next few days. DSLstats would make that more convenient.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2018, 03:36:31 PM »

Thanks for all the help folks - it is really appreciated.

The VGM3925-B10B is holding 1117 / 8626 nice and steady for a couple of days now, a lot better than the 1137 / 6812 the HG612 could manage and only a smidge behind the BT HH6.

I know I am on the current locked-down firmware but for bridge mode (thanks too for the help setting that up) I am satisfied. If I need to query the modem, I'll log in and look at the stats.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2018, 08:00:48 AM »

Think there might be solution to getting the supervisor pw and so stats monitoring working if you take a look at the thread in the unlocking forum.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2018, 08:02:24 AM »

Thanks - I'll go have a look.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything