Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Suitable replacement for HG612 on long rural line?  (Read 9892 times)

grahamb

• Reg Member
Re: Suitable replacement for HG612 on long rural line?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 11:14:30 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by bridge IP?

In Chrysalis' thread that J0hn links to on my thread, he has a picture of the Billion's lan config which shows the Billion's bridge ip. I needed to input that as the default gateway on my Asus to access the Billion's GUI and also use it as the IP address on the login page in DSLStats. I'm not 100% sure it works the same way for the Zyxel though but can't see why it wouldn't.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 11:20:30 PM »

I was wondering if we  had to do point 5 on this link... https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm on the Zyxel?

grahamb

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 11:31:34 PM »

I've done it on my Billion because before I solved my problem with access and stats, I had to reset it as I'd tried to follow someone else's method elsewhere and found I couldn't access the modem at all afterwards. The Billion only showed it's bridge ip after I'd done the interface grouping thing.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 07:25:53 AM »

I was wondering if we  had to do point 5 on this link... https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm on the Zyxel?

Have you set up the interface groups as per the final section of the guide?

DanielCoffey

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 07:30:15 AM »

I am not sure I am setting up the LAN1 interface properly as per those instructions I linked... as soon as I reboot the modem and router when there is a cable from the Zyxel LAN4 to my switch, the Zyxel IP address (192.168.1.1) appears in the wifi from the ASUS router (192.168.1.254) and I cannot access the internet.

At the moment, cables are Zyxel LAN1 to ASUS WAN and Zyxel LAN4 to ASUS LAN (via switch).

On the Zyxel I was able to go to Network Settings > Interface Group and create a new group called Bridge with VDSL used and LAN1 assigned. I rebooted both devices and go the problem. As soon as I unplug the LAN to LAN cable and reboot, it is fine but I have no access to 192.168.1.1

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 07:37:26 AM »

Might seem like over complicating things, but I recall having similar issues to you when I was using 2 cables with a 1312-B10A, they went away when I set it up to use just one as per:
https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14621.0.html

Edit: Also have you disabled DHCP on the 192.168.1.1 interface in "Home Networking"? You dont want the modem trying to give out IPs.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:40:02 AM by johnson »

DanielCoffey

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 08:03:51 AM »

I had not suppressed DHCP on the Zyxel, no as no guide I found had suggested it. I have now though (pending a reboot).

When reading part 5 of Crys' guide about interface groups the bit I was stumped on was the "Broadband > WAN Interface" part as that was not present on my 3925-B10B. I have stopped with just the "Network Settings > Interface Group" set as instructed for LAN1. Should I revert that to default and forget the second cable?

I am not really network-savvy so am unsure if I should set the Zyxel to 192.168.2.1 or it it does that itself in bridge mode. This is all new to  me so I am having to pick my way through those guides about subnets very slowly.

If it helps, my router is an ASUS AC-RT86U with ASUS-Merlin firmware.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 08:16:30 AM »

When you created the separate interface group for the VDSL connection it will have defaulted to 192.168.2.1, you can go check it under "Home Networking" and choosing the VDSL interface instead of Default from the drop down box at the top of the page.

Have you tried plugging in the 2nd lan cable since you have disabled DHCP? It should not require a reboot, but I may be wrong.

Edit: Also you seem to still have the wireless enabled on the zyxel, I'd disable.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »

The wifi was disabled on the Zyxel - the odd behaviour I was getting was that I could see the SSID from the ASUS router but the IP address was the one from the Zyxel in bridge mode. Naturally no wireless devices could actually see the internet.

DHCP is now off on the Zyxel and I have re-connected the cable and restarted both devices. So far the wireless is behaving correctly with no mistakes on the IP address. Wireless devices can currently see the internet.

You are correct in that I can now see the 192.168.2.1 in my Bridge group on the Zyxel. Does that mean I am now set up to try the 1-cable subnet way of accessing the Zyxel (and hopefully stats)?

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »

So both cables in and you still cant ping the zyxel on 192.168.1.1?

DanielCoffey

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 09:45:38 AM »

I could ping it on 192.168.1.1 earlier with both cables but I had left DHCP on the modem. As a result the router clients were confused about their addresses. Now modem DHCP is off, all seems to be behaving as expected.

To summarise where I am at now...

1. modem is in bridge mode and a network interface is set up for the VLAN.
2. modem DHCP is off.
3. modem is set to 192.168.1.1
4. cables are modem LAN1 to router WAN and then modem LAN4 to router LAN via switch
5. router is set to 192.168.1.254 with DHCP

All is behaving as I would expect. Since I have a 16-port netgear switch I can choose to leave the second modem LAN4 to router LAN cable attached if that will allow me to check modem stats.

I know I have to check stats manually since DSLStats was blocked with the latest Zyxel firmware for the 3925-B10B. I can live with that since I can check the connected speed on the modem myself.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 09:57:36 AM »

The line seems pretty stable at the moment. I see the Zyxel 3925 reports line errors over 15 minute intervals and it is doing pretty well. The previous 15 minute interval had 2 FEC and no other errors. The current interval has zero FEC so far.

The HG612 settled at 1137 / 6812.
The BT HH6 settled at 1173 / 8664.

The VMG3925-B10B is currently at 1117 / 8626 but had drooped a lot to the low-7000s overnight. I will watch it over time today.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 10:00:51 AM by DanielCoffey »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 10:20:24 AM »

So you are all up and running then, good stuff.

I know I have to check stats manually since DSLStats was blocked with the latest Zyxel firmware for the 3925-B10B. I can live with that since I can check the connected speed on the modem myself.

Do you know the nature of how DSLStats is blocked? Can you still telnet or ssh into the modem?

Sure you are aware, but it reads like you have been rebooting the modem quite a lot, be careful doing it any more as you may fall foul of the DLM.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »

The DSLStats block is discussed in this thread... https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=20842.0

It centres around xdslctl being blocked in the current firmware I think.

I certainly do not wish to wake "He who must not be woken" so will leave the modem alone for a day now. It has held 1117 / 8626 for four hours now with just the odd FEC.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »

The DSLStats block is discussed in this thread... https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=20842.0

It centres around xdslctl being blocked in the current firmware I think.

For posterity, I shall mention that the thread, linked above, is discussing the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4