Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A - first look  (Read 22322 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A - first look
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2018, 06:37:59 PM »

I just fired up an ebay modem that came from France. Had big problems with it, could not get it to talk to me no matter what I tried. The device was doing the right thing with the LEDs, they were flashing in a sensible and familiar pattern, and in that sense it seemed to responding as you would expect, so it clearly was far from dead. The seller claimed the device was new. In the end I had to do the 20 second bad-flash recovery thing to get control of it. It was as if someone had blown some very bad stuff into it or had set up a config so that I had no chance of guessing where the admin IP i/f was hiding in terms of IP address for the admin http server or its TCP port value.

Anyway, got it up and running in the end thanks to tip obtained here about the bad-flash reset ritual.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2018, 11:26:51 PM »

ECI's home, so no surprise they have it working there lol.

to be fair it worked here also, just not on "some" devices, the CPs then panicked due to increased call volumes and forced openreach to be ultra conservative moving forwards.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2018, 11:25:16 AM »

I can't seem to see where the admin i/f ipv4 address is recorded in my xml config file?

Another problem is that I can’t set it in the GUI, because the bottom of the dialog box goes off the bottom of the screen and I can’t scroll it down in Safari iPad for god only knows what stupid reason, and I suspect that I need to scroll it down to get to where the do it / go for it / submit button is. Any ideas?

There is a likely-looking command in the CLI though, so that might be the way out.
        lan config --ipaddress primary 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
or something like that.

I don’t know what ‘primary’ and ‘secondary’ mean though. Perhaps you are allowed two alternatives and that is all there is to it, simply meaning that and nothing more.

I don’t suppose there is a command in the CLI to set a default gateway IP address to go along with the above? Any chance?

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »

Try a different browser if possible.

To answer you: yes. I've had an ADSL router with that available in its GUI - simply another IP leading to the same interface.
° Configure the IP address and subnet mask for the primary LAN interface. It Can be either a private or a
public IP address.

° Configure the IP address and subnet mask for the secondary LAN interface. NAT is not supported on the
secondary LAN interface. Only public IP address is allowed.

EXAMPLES
° Configure a primary LAN interface.
>lan config –ipaddr primary 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

° Remove a secondary LAN interface.
>lan delete –ipaddr secondary

But I also saw this:
° Set interface eth0‟s IP address to be 192.168.1.1, netmask to be 255.255.255.0
>ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
This means nothing and you use the "lan config" because it automatically configures the eth0 etc, but if it can be avoided I wouldn't use telnet for things available in the GUI and wouldn't edit the config for things that can be done in telnet.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:49:29 AM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »

I tried a load of different things to sort out the GUI behaviour/layout thing. Using a ‘different’ browser - I tried iCab for ios - on the iPad didn’t help presumably because of Apple’s rules that mean they will only allow browsers to be distributed on the App store if they all use Safari’s guts / core / rendering engine anyway with just a bit of customisation in the top. So the same problem behaviour from common code.

I tried zooming to shrink the point size and fit more stuff in the viewport. Tried portrait mode. Tried using tab to go round controls in case that would make it scroll. Just nothing worked. There is a horizontal bar containing icons and this is ‘in front’ in z-value depth terms and it seems that the content I need to see is clipped off as it continues downwards behind / underneath that bar and then right off the viewport altogether. Can't think of anything else to try.

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »

Well if you can't use a different browser I'm sure the telnet will work.

But remember to remove/change any 192.168.1.X, like static IP's, on the GUI before using that telnet because it would collide.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:56:32 AM by spring »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2018, 11:52:45 AM »

I don't understand why I can't see the admin IP in the config file though

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2018, 11:58:49 AM »

I don't understand why I can't see the admin IP in the config file though
Because the firmware sets it to that, they decided to generate the firmware config without it, and remains absent until changed [but sticks around even after changing back to default value, as I've seen on other settings like MTU].
I'd have to change my configuration back and forth so I can give you the entry the GUI adds. If you want I can try that.

But what about this? Viable?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firefox-web-browser/id989804926
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-chrome/id535886823
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:11:35 PM by spring »

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »

We really need to try and fix the css as you suggested in the firmware so it works on tablet safari.

I've had a look where the code resides in the source package but troubleshooting CSS makes me want to vomit.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:10:54 PM by johnson »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »

@spring the things is, as I mentioned earlier those products for ios are not the genuine article that you would expect because Apple has only allowed browsers that are built on Safari so even though there are products that are called by familiar names they are not really the normal products you would find on other platforms. I could try it, but unless everything I have read is wrong, there will be no difference because they are all just Safari. However if one had additional say zoom controls or other kinds of additional page navigation technology that might help. Will try ‘Chrome’ so-called.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »

@johnson I used to speak CSS a bit but it has been a long time and I am very rusty. If there is a position: fixed on that horizontal icon bar that would be an evil thing. What I do not understand is why I cannot scroll the whole window vertically. That could be javascript even. I would be at a bit of a loss. When you drag the window downwards it moves down a way then twangs back up again, whatever that is all about I do not know.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »

@spring the things is, as I mentioned earlier those products for ios are not the genuine article that you would expect because Apple has only allowed browsers that are built on Safari so even though there are products that are called by familiar names they are not really the normal products you would find on other platforms. I could try it, but unless everything I have read is wrong, there will be no difference because they are all just Safari. However if one had additional say zoom controls or other kinds of additional page navigation technology that might help. Will try ‘Chrome’ so-called.

that isn't the case any more.
it used to be that all browsers installed on an iOS device had to use the safari engine, but i believe that hasn't been the case for quite some time now.

if you install Chrome from google then you are getting the proper Chrome browser (and not just a safari wrapper).

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2018, 12:28:51 AM »

Could someone help me understand a couple of things -

What is the difference between the low-level modem hardware in the VMG 1312-B10A and that in the various other VMG xxxx devices? Leaving aside router software and wireless and so on.

Also, I think various people have pointed out to me that the B10D’s modem subsystem is not as good? Could some remind me - why is that? Something to do with a different AFE and/or a (common mode?) posh (analog?) input filter in the B10A only?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2018, 01:05:01 AM »

. . . a different AFE and/or a (common mode?) posh (analog?) input filter in the B10A only?

Yes, you've remembered correctly.

Also the -B10D uses a budget (i.e.cheapo) version of the Broadcom chipset that is deployed in the -B10A.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2018, 02:38:45 AM »

Does anyone have a good picture of the insides of one? I don't think I am up to taking one apart.  :-[
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

anything