Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A - first look  (Read 22334 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A - first look
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 08:25:35 AM »

@johnson Many thanks for digging out those CLI magic runes for me. I find it difficult to find such things. (drugged up)

As for DSLstats I don't know anything about the tool but I'm assuming that it is either Windows or Linux-based or both, and don't have a suitable box up and running just now.

I am going to write a program for the iPad to massage some of the stats. If I can get the situation with SSH not working (believed to be because if the use of NAT) fixed then I can directly query the modems from my own new app on my iPad automatically I would write it in the WorkFlow programming environment because I don't speak Python, the other iPad scripting app development platform, and Workflow has almost all the necessary library functions, the one lacking, which I really need, is a telnet protocol library function. The current release version of Workflow speaks SSH but not telnet and only telnet works for me at the moment. Running a direct ethernet cable to the modem from the main switch and changing the modem’s admin ipv4 address should fix the SSH situation and give me more automation.

If I can ever get my iPad back up and running then that would be an ideal monitoring server.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2018, 08:39:49 AM »

As for DSLstats I don't know anything about the tool but I'm assuming that it is either Windows or Linux-based or both, and don't have a suitable box up and running just now.

An OSX only household? Sacrilege!  :P

There seems to be a lot of activity over in the router monitoring section of the forum since the demise of MDWS, sure some of the scripts people are using there are mac friendly?

Python is a proverbial piece of pee if you are just using it for scripting and not OO (probably both, but I have never used the later in anger), I had cobbled together a simple telnet -> rrdtool database -> php viewer for stats that ran on a raspberry pi a while ago, but got lazy and found DSLStats to do enough.

Can you not fire up a VM to have a look at DSLStats? Or even get an rpi... they use no power and cost so little, perfect for monitoring stats.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:43:50 AM by johnson »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2018, 08:46:25 AM »

Don't have a Mac, only iPads. I am confined to bed, have been for many years, and can't sit upright at a desk for long. So my Windows NT-family boxes have been put into storage. I have an old but very high end Lenovo laptop (was running Win 8 - shudders), which I might do something with at some point, if I can find the energy, concentration and stamina.

Deathstar

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 08:49:29 AM »

Don't have a Mac, only iPads. I am confined to bed, have been for many years, and can't sit upright at a desk for long. So my Windows NT-family boxes have been put into storage. I have an old but very high end Lenovo laptop (was running Win 8 - shudders), which I might do something with at some point, if I can find the energy, concentration and stamina.
Get a Pi, then you can run DSLSTATS and VNC into it.
VMG1312-B10A Bridge Mode to ASUS DSLAC68U

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 08:57:38 AM »

Sorry to hear that friend.

Maybe a nice SSD in the laptop (nothing else hardware wise had moved on much since win 8) and it can be your command centre for orchestrating raspberry pi and other linux boxes to do your bidding.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2018, 10:46:20 AM »

@Deathstar had a pi, but bricked it. Am waiting on Mrs Weaver who is supposed to be recruiting a neighbour to fix it for me. An need a decent storage card for it as I was using the fairly uninspiring one that came with it.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »

Apologies if I came across as condescending earlier Weaver, was just meaning to saying having a full PC at your finger tips would be better than ipads for getting stuff done.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2018, 11:21:44 AM »

I manage to administer everything from my horribly expensive iPad Pro, which is extremely bed-friendly. I use SSH and Telnet and a certain tools I have written myself for the iPad to administer various boxes around the place. I currently have a Raspberry Pi in Docklands hosted by the Mythic Beasts company running Ubuntu (no GUI, not interested) to which I SSH over IPv6. The Pi is IPv6-only.

In fact I would very much like to get AArch64 FreeBSD running on the Pi rather than Raspian/Debian or whatever nasty old 32-bit. But only if the compilers I need can be built without too much hassle for that platform. I would be wanting the D-language compilers ‘GDC’ (GCC family) and ‘LDC’ (LLVM family) plus GCC itself all for AArch64. I have been trying to get started learning the D language after doing C (8 years) and various ASM (4 yrs) for a living.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2018, 11:40:27 AM »

I have not been keeping up with raspberry pi development, have 3 first generation ones, two B and an A. Has a 64bit version of raspbian not been complied for the latest ones? I remember following the guy who initially made raspbian, with him buying higher speed dev boards with the same arch so he could natively compile all the debian packages with hard-float enabled, so I guess its probably no mean feat.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2018, 11:50:26 AM »

I read a lot of whinging from the Raspbian people a while back about how they couldn't be bothered to go AArch64 with its accompanying gigantic performance and efficiency benefits (more registers, better fresh-start instruction set, tidied up). I don't know if anything has happened in the last year or so though. I read an advert for AArch64 FreeBSD, but I would need some help getting it installed _headless_ so I can administer it entirely via SSH from my bed, don't have a monitor or pointing device or keyboard but my neighbour does have such and has several Pis and installed it for me before before I accidentally bricked it while trying to remove some unwanted clutter software components and free up some disk space. For some reason I have had a yearning to find out about the new BSD releases for some while as I read a couple of articles praising their security and generally bug-free quality, but then what do I know.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2018, 02:16:02 PM »

I just wrote a very short program to convert the output of a telnet cli session to a csv file.

I won't be able to go the next step and automate the fetching of the data from the modem until I get the networking NAT-free as the program is written in Apple Workflow, Workflow doesn't speak Telnet only speaks SSH and SSH doesn't work because I am imposing NAT on the link through the router to the modem. Direct ethernet cable without going through the router means goodbye NAT and hello SSH so then success!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »

I tried the route add and route delete CLI commands it says all good and no changes show up in route show. Any ideas where I might be going wrong?

I was trying to add another entry that has a default gateway set in it.

Another q: exactly what is eth0 and br0?

spring

• Reg Member
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2018, 02:55:46 PM »

Thanks spring. A common effect of all the pain drugs is google failure. Seriously, it's true.

Anyone have any idea why the route commands seemed to produce no visible changes?

spring

• Reg Member
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 03:20:14 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7