Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A - first look  (Read 22332 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A - first look
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 09:03:46 PM »

I seem to have done something odd at some point or else the web ui is lying to me.

The web ui just now in the broadband > advanced adsl-related settings page was showing all of the 'capabilities' in the first group set to OFF, so no bitswap [!], no trellis [!!], no phyrexmt u/s nor d/s, no SRA. I didn't make those crazy changes in the web ui! I fixed them and backed up the config.

(I diffed the saved config XML against a previous version and I could see that a couple of likely-looking elements had changed, they are ascii decimal in the xml, look to me like possible bit sets as after the change one was 0xC0000000 or something like that. If I am seeing what I think I am seeing the bits are perhaps inverted-sense, as in the web ui I had a fair few options set to ON, so don't expect to see a mere two bits set. Anyway, it looks as if I successfully changed something relevant and I managed to save the change, since the name of the changed element looks very plausibly relevant.)

I can't seem to get SSH to work for me. One app, my usual SSH client, just tries to connect and then terminates, another app that speaks ssh hangs when I try. SSH is enabled according to the web ui. Telnet works. I'm suddenly realising, it's probably the NAT that my Firebrick is doing to get to the B10A. Is that possible?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:09:21 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 09:17:47 PM »

As I've shown previously, this is my current profile --

Code: [Select]
> xdslctl profile --show

Modulations:
G.Dmt Disabled
G.lite Disabled
T1.413 Disabled
ADSL2 Enabled
AnnexL Disabled
ADSL2+ Disabled
AnnexM Disabled
VDSL2 Disabled
Phone line pair:
Inner pair
Capability:
bitswap On
sra On
trellis On
sesdrop Off
CoMinMgn Off
24k On
phyReXmt(Us/Ds) On/On
TpsTc AvPvAa
monitorTone: On
dynamicD: On
dynamicF: On
SOS: On
Training Margin(Q4 in dB): -1(DEFAULT)

>

I would really urge you not to modify the configuration, by editing the backup XML file & restoring the same, whilst the device is connected and synchronised with the DSLAM. I would even go as far as suggesting that all configuration changes, even via the GUI, should take place with the VMG1312-B10A disconnected from the xDSL circuit.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 09:32:40 PM »

Yes, that's the upload speed they give in my country :(
It's at max sync, and always at a pre-configured rate. My line provider never incorporated an "on the spot" rate.
As for the 40/3, I rather have that than 100/3. We use micro filters(that are mediocre :fingers:) where the phone sockets are used (I hope they're not needed in unused sockets?), because of the master socket being in the living room and I don't have cat5's in the walls, right now it's near the PC and the location is better.
The cabinet is in the shape of an ECI, according to this.
Code: [Select]
> adsl info --vendor
adsl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Last Retrain Reason:    0
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:    Upstream rate = 35190 Kbps, Downstream rate = 109780 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 3455 Kbps, Downstream rate = 44880 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
ChipSet Vendor Id:      IFTN:0xb206
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0xb206
ChipSet SerialNumber:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 09:58:09 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 09:57:42 PM »

@Burakkucat - Your warning is noted! What is the issue, Kuro Neko-san?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »

And that also "says" it's an ECI equipped cabinet.  :)

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »

Well when I tried changing the MTU on my PPPoE connection to 1500 in the config file in the other topic, because of a GUI limit, the internet decided to only move at 50kbyte per second even though the change seemed to have no effect going by the GUI. This is probably what's behind the advice.
Edit: Oh, it was advised to do it disconnected from the DSL. But I hope it gives an example of what can happen.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:05:41 PM by spring »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2018, 10:06:19 PM »

The kuro neko smiles, enigmatically, and purrs --

"Past experience. Been there, done that and suffered the headaches as a result of weird happenings. When adjusting the configuration of the xTU-R, isolate it from the xTU-C and all will be well."

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2018, 10:14:07 PM »

Since you're all nice, I have a curious question. Is the VMG1312-B10A able to run on 30a profile? (I tried "adsl configure --profile "17a 30a", or similar, and besides not working on 30a, it bugged the modem a bit, like what "adsl profile --show" outputs like no bitswap, profile settings not visible, so I restarted it). Don't know and don't think my line has 30a, but if it was the 30a part in the command that bugged the modem, 30a probably isn't its thing.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:34:44 PM by spring »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2018, 11:14:35 PM »

@Burakkucat - Just so I understand, have you bricked a unit or had a failure to apply the configuration changes properly? I was interested to know the symptoms, thinking about possible causes.

My device does not have internet access, not unless it is via a bare-metal type of comms bootstrap protocol as used by TR-069 which maybe [? does it?] requires nothing more than a physical DSL link that is up. [Need to find out - must read up on low-level details of TR-069.]

There are multiple things lacking, preventing it from getting access to the internet successfully. It doesn't have any routable public IP addresses. There is no default route to the internet provided to it, it has no gateway defined on the ethernet link cable’s IPv4 subnet, and the Brick does not provide it with the right NAT set-up such that it could talk to the internet successfully either.

So I wonder if this protects me against the Rabhadh A’ Chait Dhuibh? But it could be that internet access is irrelevant, and the issue is that there is something bad about changes of state on the dsl link or dsl-related events happening while config changes are being made or being applied.

* In fact no internet means that it doesn't keep time because NTP doesn't work, with no internet access. And there is no DNS.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2018, 11:17:49 PM »

Yes, that's the upload speed they give in my country :(
It's at max sync, and always at a pre-configured rate. My line provider never incorporated an "on the spot" rate.
As for the 40/3, I rather have that than 100/3. We use micro filters(that are mediocre :fingers:) where the phone sockets are used (I hope they're not needed in unused sockets?), because of the master socket being in the living room and I don't have cat5's in the walls, right now it's near the PC and the location is better.

Ah! That explains the ECI g.inp and weird speeds then. What a bummer you are artificially limited given you're achievable speed!

Not really sure about 30a profile, but why would you want to change given you are already at the limit of what your ISP allows?

Edit: Sorry for the OT conversation btw Weaver  :-[
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 11:20:42 PM by johnson »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 11:24:49 PM »

Spring needs to chat about a few things too, as we all do. Could start a second thread with a suitable title just for spring, and then we won't have two streams of posts in interleave mode.:-)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 12:05:13 AM »

@Burakkucat - Just so I understand, have you bricked a unit or had a failure to apply the configuration changes properly? I was interested to know the symptoms, thinking about possible causes.

I thought I was going a little :crazy: but then realised that the xTU-C as trying to communicate with the xTU-R whilst I was attempting to configure the the latter. Hence the kuro katto first rule of configuring an xTU-R: Always perform the configuration on a totally isolated unit.

In the specific case of the VMG1312-B10A, it does seem somewhat temperamental when using the save/modify-XML-file/restore sequence. For a simple, one character change (like adding a hyphen to the host name, seen under Maintenance ---> System), it will work. However the device has been designed for GUI based configuration, so don't fight it, go with what works.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:10:35 AM by burakkucat »

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2018, 12:50:08 AM »

Not really sure about 30a profile, but why would you want to change given you are already at the limit of what your ISP allows?
Curiousity? ::)

I can't seem to get SSH to work for me. One app, my usual SSH client, just tries to connect and then terminates, another app that speaks ssh hangs when I try. SSH is enabled according to the web ui. Telnet works. I'm suddenly realising, it's probably the NAT that my Firebrick is doing to get to the B10A. Is that possible?
For me in v14 the busybox/shell isn't working properly. Don't know if it's related to SSH. :fingers:

There are multiple things lacking, preventing it from getting access to the internet successfully. It doesn't have any routable public IP addresses. There is no default route to the internet provided to it, it has no gateway defined on the ethernet link cable’s IPv4 subnet, and the Brick does not provide it with the right NAT set-up such that it could talk to the internet successfully either.
I can't see the settings :baby:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:53:14 AM by spring »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2018, 12:56:19 AM »

ChipSet VersionNumber:  0xb206

Can I ask which country you are in? Look like same ECI DSLAM and firmware Openreach use. G.INP is disabled on ECI here though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

spring

• Reg Member
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2018, 12:57:14 AM »

Can I ask which country you are in? Look like same ECI DSLAM and firmware Openreach use. G.INP is disabled on ECI here though.
Israel
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

anything