Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HG612 (unlocked) to handle PPPoE to BT but Netgear XR500 to do everything else ?  (Read 3470 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

Can you talk to the internet now if you put the hg612 back to modem-only mode the way god intended?

I agree with J0hn’s advice - it's a bad idea trying to turn the HG612 into a router, let it remain in just modem-only mode. It is doing vastly more work processing DSL and ATM than the router is anyway already.

It should be difficult to get visibility of the modem’s admin web interface through the router. I've just been through this myself. But if you can't ‘see’ the router as in send IP to it and get responses back that doesn't mean that it isn't going to work or that you won't have a working internet connection.

If it is set up anything like my own system then the router talks to the modem using PPPoEoE over ethernet and neither the modem or the router even need to have Ip addresses as you are just asking the modem to export PPP frames carrying who knows what, in fact ‘who knows what’ might not even be IP, and your router and modem are just speaking ethernet to one another, ethernet containing PPPoE containing PPP containing whatever. If the modem or router doesn't even have an ip address on that modem-to-router link then it is if no consequence, PPPoEoE doesn't care and doesn't know about IP. Remember that the router could have (at least) two iP addresses, one for its LAN-facing interface, on your main LAn talking to your computers, and optionally another IP address for the router’s interface on the router-to-modem link. The two addresses, if there are two, are independent of one another, but confusion will probably be caused if they are both in the same overlapping subnet range.

To be able to talk to a modem’s web admin interface a whole lot of things have to be true. Athens modem and router have to have suitable addresses allocated. The router's address on the router-to modem link needs to be in the subnet range that the modem understands (the modem’s config will determine what LAN subnet range it thinks it is living in) otherwise the modem will not know how to reply to incoming requests it receives through the router. The router needs to be set up with a route to the router-to-modem link for whatever admin address you have set on the modem. If not it won't direct your messages intended for the modem’s admin interface to the right place. Getting all of this in place took me quite a bit of fiddling about. [Understatement.]
Pages: 1 [2]