Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HG612 (unlocked) to handle PPPoE to BT but Netgear XR500 to do everything else ?  (Read 3430 times)

xlr8r

ok, i have reads lots on this but yet to find any definitive settings for what i need.

Basically i want my unlocked HG612 to handle the PPPoE connection to BT Infinity on VDSL FTTC and also have my XR500 Netgear router do everything else.

This is to reduce overhead processing on my router. (as in...why not let the modem do some of the work....)  ::)

would be grateful for settings if anyone has managed to accomplish this scenario....

thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Yes, that is do-able but the HG612 is a rather under-powered device once features greater than just a modem-bridge and VLAN end-point are enabled.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

xlr8r

Yes, that is do-able but the HG612 is a rather under-powered device once features greater than just a modem-bridge and VLAN end-point are enabled.

so... 6 of one, and a half dozen of the other basically....?

so the overheads i would gain on the router , i would lose on the modem...?

j0hn

• Kitizen

I would need to login to the device again and see the relevant settings page, but I strongly advise against this.

The Huawei HG612 was locked down in modem only mode for a reason. It just doesn't have the grunt as a router.
When using the HG612 as a modem and only handling the PPP (DHCP, QoS, Firewall all off) I was never able to reach above 60Mb, ever. During heavy usage that would drop frequently to 20Mb.

Your router has a dual core 1.7Ghz CPU.
Why on Earth would you want the HG612 to handle the PPP?

edit: incase you wish to try it

On the left, go to Basic > WAN
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username
Password: Your FTTC password

from old notes
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

xlr8r

I would need to login to the device again and see the relevant settings page, but I strongly advise against this.

The Huawei HG612 was locked down in modem only mode for a reason. It just doesn't have the grunt as a router.
When using the HG612 as a modem and only handling the PPP (DHCP, QoS, Firewall all off) I was never able to reach above 60Mb, ever. During heavy usage that would drop frequently to 20Mb.

Your router has a dual core 1.7Ghz CPU.
Why on Earth would you want the HG612 to handle the PPP?

edit: incase you wish to try it

On the left, go to Basic > WAN
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username
Password: Your FTTC password

from old notes

wanted to prove that the XR500 is actually losing 12Mbps by processing PPPoE.
and to test if there was any difference in letting the HG612 handle it instead, just to prove the theory's...
thanks for info will test later and report findings

xlr8r

no luck

router couldnt see modem

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

How was the router configured? IPoE or ?

xlr8r

How was the router configured? IPoE or ?

thats just it, only options router really offers , Does the internet connection require a login ?

when i choose no, i dont get many options...

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:36:49 PM by xlr8r »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

thats just it, only options router really offers , Does the internet connection require a login ?

when i choose no, i dont get many options...

As you have already configured the HG612 to act as the PPPoE client, you should not be configuring the router to do likewise!

Try selecting "No" to the question "Does your Internet connection require a login?" and then see what are the following options further down that page.

Edit -- You have just edited your post whilst I was typing the above . . .

So I would recommend "Get Dynamically from ISP" for "Internet IP Address", "Get Automatically from ISP" for "Domain Name Server (DNS) Address" and "Use Default Address" for "Router MAC Address".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 11:47:45 PM by burakkucat »

xlr8r

As you have already configured the HG612 to act as the PPPoE client, you should not be configuring the router to do likewise!

Try selecting "No" to the question "Does your Internet connection require a login?" and then see what are the following options further down that page.

i posted both images to show settings with yes or no selected.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

Please go back and look again at my reply, #8, above.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

There is on other thing to consider . . .

The default IPv4 address of the HG612 is 192.168.1.1 -- that is the address by which you communicate directly to the device, for adjusting its configuration, etc. As a consequence, the XR500 cannot also be configured to use that IPv4 address for its communication channel.

What I am trying to stress is that those two devices (the HG612 & the XR500) must have unique private IPv4 addresses.

xlr8r

There is on other thing to consider . . .

The default IPv4 address of the HG612 is 192.168.1.1 -- that is the address by which you communicate directly to the device, for adjusting its configuration, etc. As a consequence, the XR500 cannot also be configured to use that IPv4 address for its communication channel.

What I am trying to stress is that those two devices (the HG612 & the XR500) must have unique private IPv4 addresses.

Hi

currently I have the Xr500 on 192.168.2.1 and the modem on 192.168.2.15

should i be setting the Internet IP address in the router to the ip address of the modem ??

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

I'm not sure exactly what they mean by "the internet IP address in the router" ? Sounds like the outward-facing interface of the router, its WAN address, which no one cares about.

I would say no.

There will need to be somewhere to set the LAN IP address range and the LAN-facing IP address of the router, or else don't set it and get that from the ISP dynamically too, unless that ui option is it already and the terminology is wrong.

xlr8r

I'm not sure exactly what they mean by "the internet IP address in the router" ? Sounds like the outward-facing interface of the router, its WAN address, which no one cares about.

I would say no.

There will need to be somewhere to set the LAN IP address range and the LAN-facing IP address of the router, or else don't set it and get that from the ISP dynamically too, unless that ui option is it already and the terminology is wrong.

sorry, forgot to include the LAN settings screenshot earlier...

Pages: [1] 2

anything