Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: NGA profile change  (Read 2080 times)

GaryW

NGA profile change
« on: May 07, 2018, 11:23:54 PM »

Hi all,

Thought I'd start a new thread for this to avoid hijacking existing threads!

I've mentioned a couple of times in other people's threads that my BT Infinity line seemed to be on Standard NGA profile (based on ES thresholds when DLM intervened), whereas other people's BT lines seem to be on Speed profile.

I posted on the BT community forum at the end of last week asking if a moderator could check, and had a request for info earlier today from a mod so he could check it out.  Interestingly, he also said that BT Wholesale refer to the profiles as Standard, Stable and Super Stable (i.e. the same names as were used for ADSL) rather than Speed, Standard and Stable.  Which may make the next paragraph confusing!!!

A few hours later I had a call from someone else at BT saying that, sure enough, my line had been put on Stable (i.e. middle) profile at some point, so he'd switched it to Standard (i.e. most relaxed) profile and it should take effect tomorrow.  (Although in my excitement I forgot to ask if that would initiate a full DLM reset).

Very happy, and really pleasantly surprised - I expected to get nowhere, but the BT guys came up trumps  :)

Annoyingly I'm out of the country on business so it'll be early hours of Saturday before I get a chance to check my stats, although unless it's a full DLM reset I guess there won't be much to see for a while!
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: NGA profile change
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 11:51:33 PM »

Yes, that "it depends with whom one is having a discussion" muddle of profile names is quite well known.  :)

It will be interesting to read the full details, once you are back home and have had a chance to investigate things.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 08:58:27 AM »

BT OpenReach - BT Wholesale
Speed                -  Standard
Standard           -  Stable
Stable                -  Super Stable

BT and Plusnet always use the Wholesale terminology. We've (well most on here) always used the OpenReach terminology.

Changing the profile should indeed reset the DLM.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »

For further info ....

There are actually four policies (not profiles) ..... standard, speed, stable and not-oft used, custom.

Profiles are what the DLM applies.

:)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »

There are actually four policies (not profiles) ..... standard, speed, stable and not-oft used, custom.

Custom? Have you ever come across it in use?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:49:36 AM »

TBH, I don't think I have, j0hn ??

That said .... I can only recollect two circumstances where the incorrect policy was causing multiple repeat fault reports, and one of those wasn't even on my patch ... I could see from WHOOSH what the issue was, after a colleague contacted me for assistance, and there hasn't been a murmur from the EU since.  :)

But .... custom does exist.  :)

GaryW

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »

Got home last night so finally had a chance to check stats this morning...and nothing very exciting to report!

I was told that the profile was applied on Monday, and would take effect on Tuesday.  Modem had resynced in the early hours of Wednesday, but as banding (15M) is still in place it can't have been a DLM reset.  In fact, it may just have been a coincidence that the modem resynced - INP dropped from 8 to 3.50, and the line had been green for 7 full days (previously it's been somewhere between 8 and 12 full days of green for INP to reduce) so could have been "normal" DLM activity.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see...
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »

I have on more than one previous occasion heard of BTr being prepared to swap the DLM profile for an EU.
I think this may be why there is some confusion over whether they are on NGA Speed or Standard profile.   I'm not even sure whether it makes a difference if you have BT-TV.

The profile names are further confused because of the naming terms between NGA & WBC.

BS is quite correct about the Custom Profile.   This has afaik always been available - certainly for BTw's  WBC,  but I am not aware of any ISP's that do so.   When I first got all the info about DLM it was all proprietary to BT Wholesale who were more open about their DLM than Openreach are in the days prior to ASSIA.
ie  BT's DLM invention totally belonged to, is patented to and owned by the BT Group.   I'm not quite sure what or how they managed to divide it when it came to the time when Openreach implemented the NGA system but they implemented a very similar system right down to the RAMBO boxes bar a few parameter tweaks and using DSM.

There's a bit more information about the stability levels on the DLM page
https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm#dlm_stability_level
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker