Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: VDSL Modem / Bridge mode recommendations 2018  (Read 2750 times)

stranky

• Just arrived
VDSL Modem / Bridge mode recommendations 2018
« on: May 07, 2018, 12:43:05 PM »

Hey all,

First of great forum, so much useful knowledge, I've learnt so much useful information! even the detective working of finding out what cab I was on  ::)

Well i've just order a VDSL2 / FTTC package, coming from VM so this will be a new experience, I've done as much research as I think I could of done, I'm looking for a VDSL2 modem I can put in bridge mode (PPPOE as ill be plugging this into my pfsense box, my cab is huawei (around 700m away)

Originally I was just going to get a HG612 3B as you can get them for like £10, then I started reading about the newer BCM chipsets, which took me down the route of looking at the VMG1312-B10A or VMG8324-B10A (same chipsets - BCM 63381), which from looking can get them around £30 if you find a good deal,

In 2018 is it still recommend to go for a chipset like BCM 63381? or is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: VDSL Modem / Bridge mode recommendations 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »

There are some bugs in the VMG1312-B10A even in straight modem-only mode, which depend (amazingly) on which ISP you use, so I’m told, well, if I've understood correctly. That is what is putting me off these.

Might be worth considering the Draytek Vigor 130, just works, so I believe, no config. The Huawei and the Vigor can both do PPP MTU 1508 = 1500 + 8 bytes, if that is important to you, unfortunately the Zyxel can't.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:07:39 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 06:03:11 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum. :)

If used in modem bridge mode, the ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A can support mini-jumbo frames . . . it just needs an update of the firmware. Either read the entire thread or precisely one post in which an explicit link to the required firmware image is provided.

Not in any way intending to offend our good friend Weaver but A&A can be wrong, sometimes spectacularly so.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 07:07:52 PM »

The VMG1312-B10A and VMG8324-B10A are BCM63168.

The BCM63381 is newer than the BCM63168 but it's designed for low cost devices.

BCM63138 is the latest and probably supposed to be the best so far.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 10:45:28 PM »

Well spotted Burakkucat. I had just read that post and then forgotten about our friend’s custom firmware! AA’s article is indeed ignorant of that development, they pestered ZyXel about the change for ages, when they should have just done the mod themselves, they are certainly capable enough. Perhaps someone should point it out to them.

AA do get things wrong, I've nagged them about certain things for ages.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »

Quote from: Weaver
There are some bugs in the VMG1312-B10A even in straight modem-only mode, which depend (amazingly) on which ISP you use, so I’m told, well, if I've understood correctly. That is what is putting me off these.

Can you explain what the ISP specific bridge mode bug is?
I've always understood every ISP on the OpenReach FTTC network to have 100% generic requirements.
I fail to see how a bridge mode modem can have an ISP specific bug.

With regards to Baby Jumbo Frames, ZyXEL haven't enabled this on ANY of their VDSL2 modems in bridge mode.
It's more a missing feature than a bug though.

I find the BCM63168 to be the best, followed very closely by the BCM63138.
The BCM63381 performs considerable worse than the previous 2 mentioned.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 12:01:24 AM »

> I fail to see how a bridge mode modem can have an ISP specific bug.

I'll have to look up the reference. It is surprising. Sometimes there are bugs that make no sense in that some system is not supposed to know about something, yet the bug still happens. (I have certainly been there.)

If I remember correctly, there is a hardware ‘accelerator’ feature that is not being used correctly by software. Whether or not the bug is noticed in practice depends on exact protocols in use and other things. One thing I read said that a bug was noticed if an ISP allocated a WAN address (I assume they mean at the customer end of the link) that never changed, but where such an address was dynamic then users hit the bug. Another bug report I read described a bug experienced where applications use (say UDP) with source ports that do not change between conversations/flows as opposed to the more frequent case where an application picks a different source port value in a new conversation.

A post by AA about bugs in the HG612 when using VPN (device in modem-only mode) describes a bug also present in the ZyXel.