Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Health effects of 5G ?  (Read 630 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Health effects of 5G ?
« on: May 06, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »

I was just clicking around youtube and a video popped up about the health impact of 5G. I know these health concerns have been spoke about a lot over the years with different forms of wireless towers broadcasting signals. So I was wondering what peoples opinions are of this?

This is a news report about it in the US;

ConsumerWatch: 5G Cellphone Towers Signal Renewed Concerns Over Impacts on Health

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61h_vuBujw0[/youtube]

Wireless carriers are installing millions of towers across the country to enable the new, faster 5G cellphone technology. KPIX asks the question: Are there legitimate health concerns? Julie Watts reports. (1-25-18)

My personal opinion is that I think we need a definate answer to the health concerns of wireless technologies so we can be sure we're not setting up future health problems.

The only reason this subject peaked my interest is because I've lost quite a few family and friends to cancer over the years and I'm convinced that we're doing something today that is increasing peoples risk. Whether that is the way foods are created, microwaving foods etc. Something is upsetting the apple cart of peoples health. So though I am an advocate of new technology I think we always have to try and get the cold facts and not allow vested interests to put forward their own studies (which happens in the pharmaceutical industry) to prove a point either way. I think the government needs to do its own studies instead of relying on others to do it for them.

Personally I hardly ever use my smartphone in phone calls. But I have noticed close friends who do use them a lot (for making phone calls.. i.e. device to the ear) do get mild confusion. When they don't use the smartphone for a few days they are more focused. That's just my personal observation of the subject.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Health effects of 5G ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »

I personally have always completely dismissed fears about towers, as “fake news”.  I don’t want one outside my window because they are ugly, and it might devalue my home, thanks to such “fake news” stories being believed.

I am prepared to believe there may be things we have yet to understand about about the effects of the phones themselves, but not the towers.   My reasoning is, the signal strength of a radio obeys an inverse square law.   If you increase the distance by 10x, signal strength is diminished to 1/1000.

Thus, consider the effect of a cell tower at say 50 feet, vs a phone held to your ear, say 1/2” away.  That’s a ratio of 120:1 so the relative effect of the tower vs the phone is 120^2, 14,400:1.   The strength of the signal induced from the tower will thus be a factor about 0.00007 of the phone signal itself.

Admittedly, I am no expert, tower radios may transmit stronger signals (though I don’t think they do), and the signal is probably present more hours of the day.  Even so, the inverse square relationship simply suggests “not a believable problem” to me.

Happy to have my science corrected by any of our new radio engineering experts, I think we have a few lurking. :)

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: Health effects of 5G ?
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:46:11 PM »

Firstly remember that 40% of US population believes the sun orbits the earth; so take a pinch of salt with all stories from there !

Secondly there Are legal limits on Watts/cm2 energy exposure, which are appreciably lower than the  level from bright sunlight. I seem to remember that the legal limit is close to the intensity which causes a neon bulb to glow with no wire connections i.e. if you can hold a neon up and it doesn't glow you are OK. 

Thirdly the mean power of coms links is appreciably less than Cold War radars and only recently I heard of the death of a radar engineer who was working in that field some 60-70 years ago.   

anything