Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bits per bin / tones - units  (Read 5085 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Bits per bin / tones - units
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 05:32:18 PM »

On Ofcom’s website I did find “Maritime mobile” and “Aeronautical radio-navigation” bands listed at 505 - 526.5kHz though.

Knowing your location and the open aspect to the south-west, I would be inclined to accept that either of those two bands may well be responsible.

Sudden thought: In terms of a straight line view, could Belfast airport navigational aids be responsible?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Bits per bin / tones - units
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »

Burakkucat - if airports are candidates then the airport on Tiriodh (Tiree) is near and it is to the south just over the horizon, open sea view, can see Colla from the top of the bank on a very good day, which is in the way anyway, obscuring Tiriodh behind it further to the south.

To the west we have the airport on the Tràigh Mhòr Eilean Bharraigh (Barra), 61 miles away, which is on the north-west side of the island facing towards us.

There is an airport at Baile a’ Mhanaich on the west side of Beinn a’ Bhaoghla (Benbecula) 59 miles away, but it is on the west side of the island, mind you the island is extremely flat. That is to the west but Beinn nan Càrn above the house and then the Cuilfhionn mountain range itself are both in the way, if that matters, but anyway we are very much in the shadow of Beinn nan Carn in that direction.

There used to be a pair of rocket tracking installations one place in Uibhist a-Deas (South Uist) and an observing station on Hiort (St Kilda) but I don't know if they are still going. The former is on the wrong side of the Uibhist mountains though anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]