Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Ubiquiti Edgerouter X  (Read 10724 times)

chenks

• Kitizen
Ubiquiti Edgerouter X
« on: May 05, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »

i'm trying to find a ubiquiti edgerouter x in the UK that actually comes with a UK power adaptor.
i've seen a few listing and they seem to either come with a US or euro adaptor.
broadbandbuyer don't have any stock so can't try there.

do these actually come in a UK variant?

MrMike

Re: Ubiquiti Edgerouter X
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 02:51:29 PM »

I purchased mine some months ago from netxl.com It came with a euro plug along with a Euro-UK plug adaptor that you slotted the Euro 2 pin plug in to. However the item description on netxl is now different reading "UK Power Supply Cord included". Not sure if it's the same Euro-UK adaptor, or they're bundling the item with a UK adaptor like the one linked below.

I didn't like the Euro-UK plug adaptor so I ended up powering the Edgerouter X using the POE adaptor that came with my UAP-AC-Lite.

https://www.netxl.com/power-cables/12v-500ma-psu/

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 04:10:57 PM »

Yeah no way would I ever use those death euro/us to UK adaptors.

So did you use the Poe injector to power the router then power the ac-lite via poe from the router?

MrMike

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 07:19:11 PM »

So did you use the Poe injector to power the router then power the ac-lite via poe from the router?
I did indeed. Worked out nice and tidy with the cabling.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »

Unifi AC lite has arrived.
Edgerouter in the post.

MrMike

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 01:20:45 PM »

Should make your home network more robust. Let me know if you have any configuration questions once it's all setup.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »

the basic setup of the edgerouter should be fine (as in getting it to connect to the internet).
going forward i'll be looking at putting the guest wifi on a different IP range so it's totally isolated. i'm guessing that will be setting up a VLAN and telling the AP to use that VLAN ID on the guest wifi ?

also be interested in setting up OpenVPN on it (assuming the edgerouter X supports that). at the moment i have a Pi Zero running as an OpenVPN host.

MrMike

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 06:03:41 PM »

Please see the following article on creating firewall rules on the Edgerouter for locking down a specific VLAN from accessing any other part of the network. Worked a treat for me.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012700967-EdgeRouter-VLAN-Aware-Switch0-with-Inter-VLAN-Firewall-Limiting

I've not set up OpenVPN on my Edgerouter, I use my Raspberry Pi for that. The first video below demonstrates on setting up OpenVPN as a client device on the Edgerouter to connect to an external OpenVPN service provider. The 2nd video sets up an OpenVPN server on the Edgerouter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9dXiKhDVl0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTBE8YiPhkg

I used the following commands below to enable IPv6 for devices on my network. For reference, I'm with BT who offer a /56 IPv6 prefix. So check the settings with your own ISP.

Notes: eth0 on my Edgerouter is the WAN port from my modem. "switch0.99" is VLAN ID 99 that I created. For adding IPv6 to additional VLAN networks on your Edgerouter, simply copy+paste the last 3 lines and change "switch0.99" to "switch0.10" for VLAN ID 10 as an example. Also change the 2nd line from "prefix-id ':1'" to "prefix-id ':2'" and so on. If you do intend on enabling IPv6 please let me know and I'll paste the IPv6 firewall rules as sadly the Edgerouter doesn't allow an easy convenient way of adding IPv6 firewall rules in the web interface.

set interfaces ethernet eth0 pppoe 0 ipv6 enable
set interfaces ethernet eth0 pppoe 0 ipv6 address autoconf
set interfaces ethernet eth0 pppoe 0 ipv6 dup-addr-detect-transmits 1

set interfaces ethernet eth0 pppoe 0 dhcpv6-pd pd 0 prefix-length /56
set interfaces ethernet eth0 pppoe 0 dhcpv6-pd rapid-commit enable
set interfaces ethernet eth0 pppoe 0 dhcpv6-pd prefix-only

set interfaces ethernet eth0 pppoe 0 dhcpv6-pd pd 0 interface switch0.99 host-address '::1'
set interfaces ethernet eth0 pppoe 0 dhcpv6-pd pd 0 interface switch0.99 prefix-id ':1'
set interfaces ethernet eth0 pppoe 0 dhcpv6-pd pd 0 interface switch0.99 service slaac
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:06:28 PM by MrMike »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 06:06:54 PM »

No ipv6 for me, Plusnet ipv4 only

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 10:52:52 AM »

the edgerouter X arrive today, so hopefully have a play with it tonight.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 10:58:50 AM »

Been eyeing one of these for a while, let us know how it goes.

What sort of connect do you have and do you run any form of good QoS (SQM or the like) on it atm?

MrMike

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 06:52:04 PM »

Been eyeing one of these for a while, let us know how it goes.

What sort of connect do you have and do you run any form of good QoS (SQM or the like) on it atm?
In my case I'm with BT and connect to my Zyxel router running in bridge mode using PPPoE. I've tested the QoS functionality of the Edgerouter and it seems to work well returning an A+ on dslreports.com But I have since disabled it as I have no use for it as I'm often the sole user of the internet connection in my home.

I have set up a couple of VLAN's, one for the home network, the other for use as guest Wi-Fi access with firewall rules blocking the guest VLAN from accessing the rest of my network. All in all a solid piece of kit at a decent price point.

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 10:23:27 PM »

Your usage case is pretty much identical to what I'll be doing.

Zyxel in bridge mode to Plusnet 80/20 (syncing at around 76 currently on fritzbox).

Unifi ap-lite with main and guest WiFi.
Guest to be totally isolated on a separate vlan, and guest WiFi on limited bandwidth.

Will require some open ports on the firewall for certain traffic and services. And some static IP for some servers.

May try some QoS as I have a couple of IPTV boxes that works need priority over anything else should it ever get to the stage where there is a lot of traffic.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:16:11 PM by chenks »

chenks

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 08:30:34 PM »

ok well update
edgerouter installed, got internet access (zyxel in bridge mode).
set up static IP addresses via the DHCP server - all ok
opened up ports on firewall and pointed them to the static IPs - sort of works
it seems the firewall is blocking internal traffic as well as external... ie i can't access 192.168.1.2:7878

wifi, something went a bit weird there, the Unifi AP took an age to pick up a new IP address from the network, and for about 45 minutes was totally dead to the world (not even visible on a wifi scan), the power was never disconnected to it. then it seems to kick back into life. it's not visible in the unifi controller though.

so first things that needs sorted.
1) firewall clearly isn't working as i expected. i've opened up a couple of specific ports for external incoming traffic.
but it appears that even for internal traffic it's blocking connections to other internal devices.

2) need to get the unifi AP to be visible in the controller again. the controller is hosted on a windows PC on the network, so i'm guessing that the firewall has something to do with that

3) is it possible to get access to the zyxel from the network? ie connect to the web interface on it? and a sub-question, where can i see what the DSL connection is like? is that visible on the edgerouter? or only on the zyxel ?

4) what should the MTU be set ot on the edgerouter for the PPPoE? it's currently set to 1492

edit - i have posted an image but for some reason it's not showing up when i view the forum in my network. shows up fine when on 4G though!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:34:53 PM by chenks »

MrMike

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 12:30:53 AM »

How are you powering the Edgerouter. Is it via the POE injector that came with the AP-AC-Lite? I might be wrong, but I believe if you're using the power adaptor that came with the Edgerouter, it might not be good enough to power the AP-AC-Lite. If you use the Chrome web browser try using the UBNT Discovery app from the app store to try and see if your AP is discoverable on the network. It might also be worth factory resetting the AP-Lite pressing the reset button on the device with a paperclip / pin.

One issue that I found when first setting up the Edgerouter is that the DHCP service stopped working and needed restarting. Either reboot the Edgerouter via the UI or issue the following command via an SSH session to the Edgerouter: sudo service dhcpd restart

As for modem stats, I used the following guide under heading 5 on this page. My router is on 192.168.99.1 and modem is listening on 192.168.99.2 which is the IP that dslstats connects to. I use the 2 ethernet cable setup described in the following guide. Lan 1 from the Zyxel modem goes in to eth0 of the Edgerouter which is the PPPoE. Lan 2 from the Zyxel goes in to Eth1 on the Edgerouter for modem stats. The PPPoE connection on the Edgerouter has an MTU of 1492 due to the Zyxel not supporting baby jumbo frames (long thread on this forum discussing this).

https://kitz.co.uk/routers/zyxel_VMG8324-B10A_bridge.htm
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 12:35:33 AM by MrMike »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything