Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A: setting passwords in the web GUI  (Read 1137 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A: setting passwords in the web GUI
« on: June 06, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »

I have had stupid error message "requires 6 letters and at least 1 digit" or the like when setting the password. I got this when I set the password to password, so understandable enough. But I also got the same error message when I tried to set a complex strong password which had letters digits and punctuation in it, all ascii, no whitespace.

Has anyone else had this? Is it just a bug? Is it objecting to some of the characters?

The really weird thing is, that same strong password was working and is working on the other modems, so how did I set it? I am trying to remember, maybe I got round the issue before by putting the right config into the config file directly. I was trying to set it back to password for the benefit of kitizen michty_me in the config file I posted for him in another thread.

You can indeed change the password by loading up a saved config file, that is how I worked around the problem and got it back to the strong password that I wanted.

Question: the password is encrypted in the config file. I don’t suppose you can just put in the password that you want straight, can you?

(Would only make sense if it is a system that detects plain versus encrypted passwords because the entry is marked in some way with something distinctive surely?)

spring

• Reg Member
Re: ZyXEL VMG 1312-B10A: setting passwords in the web GUI
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 04:12:48 PM »

You can edit the config file, there's a good chance it'll work [and re-encrypted maybe?] but through the GUI I set the supervisor password on mine to 1234 so idk.

Edit: Maybe it wants at least 1 digit. Also try a password length of 20 and see if it has a character limit and which is the limit.

Edit2: The reason I'm optimistic about editing it to plain text in the config is that after a firmware upgrade from an older un-encrypting version, the password of older configuration files is preserved but encrypted.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 04:20:55 PM by spring »
No one knows what is the taste of the void.

anything