Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anything good to watch on Netflix or Amazon these days?  (Read 3557 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Anything good to watch on Netflix or Amazon these days?
« on: May 05, 2018, 02:07:37 AM »

Any tips? I’m going through a bit of a famine at the moment, confined to bed all day every day as ever. Could do with some distraction.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Anything good to watch on Netflix or Amazon these days?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 11:36:18 AM »

I usually watch Sci-Fi, Crime & Thrillers, but this was a movie I watched recently which I enjoyed.  Don't want to say too much about it and spoil the plot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Remember-Christopher-Plummer/dp/B01IWA2660/

It's currently on the Amazon free to watch list for members.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 12:06:46 AM »

I have never signed up to Amazon, maybe I should.

Netflix nearly always disappoints me these days.   Most of their content is home-brewed and seems akin to rubbishy 1970s TV Movies, optimised for the “small screen”.   And these days, “small screen” means an iPad or an iPhone, with camera angles that look plain daft when shown on a decent sized TV.

But one exception, if you like this kind of thing, you WILL have seen it before, the old 1950s B&W post apocalypse, “On the beach”.   We discovered it on Netflix a few months ago and watched it one damp afternoon.   Quite riveting, and renewed my faith in Netflix subscription. :)

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/823585

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 01:30:50 AM »

For me its excellent value.   I only have the basic prime, but in that I get free next day delivery, free music, access to their movies,  loads of free pantry deliveries.   I can't recall offhand how much it cost me, I think it was ~ £60  but it was certainly getting in the realms of what I'd paid the previous year for delivery alone.    They quite often run offers on annual subscriptions which is why mine was cheaper but no doubt I will have to pay full price this year.

You also get a few extra perks such as advance warning and first dibs at offers such as prime day.  Oh and I've also had lots of free kindle books.   As well as access to their library, I get to choose one brand new book per month before it is released for sale to the General Public for free.  So I think I've definitely had my moneys worth out of my subscription to Prime.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 01:30:55 PM »

I agree with everything that kitz said. I think if you use Amazon a lot then you'll definately get use out of it.

Amazon also own Twitch, the streaming game platform and give you a free months subscription as a Twitch Prime user.

I've been watching Sneaky Pete series. They have done the second season. Both seasons are free for Amazon Prime users. It's about this con-man who assumes the identity of his cell mate in prison so he can sneak out. He ends up convincing the guys grandparents that he's their real grandson, even though some of the younger relatives suspect something is odd. The main star is Giovanni Ribisi, and his rival is played by Bryan Cranston. So if you haven't seen the 2 seasons then that should keep you entertained for a while :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 07:12:52 AM »

The Hitmans Bodyguard is a recent film which is now on Netflix, I found it a very entertaining film.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:21:29 AM »

I started watching Sneaky Pete - couldn't get into it but must give it another try.

I have seen Kitz’s recommendation with Christopher Plummer. Mrs Weaver will tell you an anecdote about him concerning the time she once did a gig (she was singing) with him at the RFH.

Recommendations desperately needed as distraction from pain, so keep ’em coming.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 09:55:48 PM »

If you don't mind a Spanish-language series with subtitles, one of my favourite recent watches on Netflix is Money Heist.

It's a series originally made for Spanish TV (original title La Casa de Papel - House of Paper) about a group of criminals who meticulously plan and execute a robbery of the Spanish Royal Mint in Madrid.

V_R

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 10:36:26 PM »

Depends on your tastes, I loved the Marvel stuff, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and the Defenders. (Iron Fist not so much)

Or there's Stranger Things which was bloody great.

Black Mirror is fantastic.

As for films, there's a good few on there, it just depends on what floats your boat.... Bright, Gerard's Game, The Babysitter?! :D
Zen Internet (80/20) on a Huawei 288 cab, via HG612 and an Asus RT-AC86U running Merlin FW.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 11:43:29 PM »

I loved La Casa de Papel, watched it in Spanish to try and improve my ear. Have not seen the end yet.

I agree about the Marvel Tat. Got bored with the second Jessica Jones series but enjoyed the first.

Will definitely check out some of those movies, very much appreciated.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 08:31:39 AM »

I've recently become hooke don Westworld. It's one of those shows where you have to pay attention or you will get lost fairly quickly. It isn't available on Netflix. Not too sure about Amazon though.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 05:00:00 PM »

That Westworld series was superb. I had to go to Apple’s shop to get it, and it took an age to download, possibly because it is very high quality, not heavily compressed and ruined.

I am fed up now waiting for Season 2.

Also I am having to wait and wait for The Man in the High Castle season 3 which is torment. Anyone else seen it?

Tomorrow the new season of Goliath is released. The first season was superb, and I love legal and courtroom dramas.

Am going through a bit of a dip now short of things to watch since I am mostly confined to bed all the time.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 05:12:39 PM »

Westworld is great, enjoyed the first season a lot and am waiting till the 2nd is over to binge... though I do have the first episode downloaded already and might not be able to stop myself.

Enjoyed the man in the high castle as well. Didnt realise there was a 3rd season coming, felt like the end of the last was pretty final... but maybe I'm not remembering it well.

Just finished the second season of Legion, cant recommend it enough, even if its hard to follow at points.

If you want something kind of schlocky but enjoyable to pass the time with, I have enjoyed Travelers on netflix recently, its from one of the series creators that made stargate sg-1/atlantis etc, so if you liked those you will like this too.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 05:47:01 PM »

Must watch Legion then. I enjoyed Travellers a lot.

Also have been watching scifi series Salvation, pulp but fun.

Cannot wait for the next season of the Expanse, another very superior scifi outer-space series with stunning effects and photography and a brilliant cast and fine writing. Again tremendous atmosphere as war looms between earth, and mars with the impoverished communities on the asteroids in the asteroid belt caught up in the middle, needing to buy very expensive O2 and H2O from the inner major planets constantly. You even get the occasional visit to the moons of Jupiter to Saturn too.

The trailer for the next season of The Man in the High Castle that I saw was delicious, the actor who plays Dr Mengele looks superb and it promises to reveal a lot more of the secrets about what has really been going on all the time. Unfortunately we might have to wait well into the autumn.

I just watched the fourth season of Bosch which was outstanding too - great acting, plenty of atmosphere and a very satisfying script.

Thanks to Ronski for tip re Hitman’s Bodyguard - tremendous fun, loved it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:56:01 PM by Weaver »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 08:26:59 PM »

I'm really enjoying Westworld. I'm probably quite hooked now actually haha. I've even found myself reading other viewers theories as it helps me catch bits I may have missed.
Season 2 is good, Gives more questions but also answers quite a bit. One episode in particular is quite freaky in a sort of horror type way. But I'll leave it at that. Only two episodes left of season 2 to air so hopefully you both can get caught up quite rapid.

I did start watching travellers when I was hungover one day and it seems not bad.

I've been wanting to watch the man in the high castle for some time so may give that a go next.
Pages: [1] 2