Internet > General Internet

Telly over IP

(1/3) > >>

Weaver:
Does anyone use TV over IP, from the likes of BT? Is it live streaming? Does it use multicast?

I was wondering, I assume that with multicast you have had it if you get any corruption or other packet loss because there can not be any retransmissions, not unless you have some kind of auxiliary rarely used side channel where you could occasionally request a missing packet.

How often do such users see glitches or problems?

I wonder if anyone does the latter, because for live tv the delay is of no consequence, it's not like a phone call or video call where timeliness matters crucially and you just have to live with dropped packets because there is no time to wait for the retx. In live tv if you just decided to have a 1 s delay or more and buffer everything, then you could easily get a NAK out and a high-priority req back on a side channel as the round trip time would be fine.

It must be a huge load on the lines of Netflix where everything is unicast and so presumably can be a reliable transport and buffered as much as they want. On my ADSL2 pipe the traffic is only about ~50-70% or the pipe downstream, it's very good.

Deathstar:
As far as I am aware BT and Plusnet both use multicast.
On our line, I very rarely see any glitches even on HD.

adrianw:
I had BT TV for a while.
IPTV multicast  seemed to work fine with a BT router/modem, with no noticeable glitches. Not that I used it much.
Switched to pfSense and a router/modem in bridge mode and could not get IPTV to work.
Gave up on it when I escaped from BT.

Weaver:
It's interesting what adrian says about it not working with non-BT kit. Could that be because it is being dealt with using ATM PVCs? Assuming we are talking about adrian having ADSL with ATM, not FTTC at that time.

Presumably it would use ethernet and VLANs now there is no more ATM.

Deathstar:
I am not using BT kit, I have a Zyxel modem and Asus dsl-ac68u running in bridge mode with no issues
FTTC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version