Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Business  (Read 6360 times)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
BT Business
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:15:00 PM »

Does anyone on here have any experience of BT Business?

Someone I know has been offered the 'Premium Infinity for Business, inc. 4G Assure and Landline' for £45 p/m at their office (believe it or not, but they have no internet at the mo)- but I can only give him my view on my residential Infinity.

I'm struggling to see the benefit to be honest (apart from 1 static IP, and the 4G...which seems a bit of a gimmick if I'm honest…!!!!), I'm tempted to just recommend a standard FTTC residential provider...but before I go back I wanted to check to see peoples experiences, and if there really is a genuine reason to plump for business over residential for an SME setup. (given that they’ll be using exactly the same local loop and cab as if they were on residential…)
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: BT Business
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 09:24:24 PM »

I was with BT Business, their service was fine but support wasn't the best in the world by any means even though it was based in the UK. I remember also receiving paper bills (not paperless) back then, must be several years ago now. I switched to Zen Internet for a while and then finally now AAISP. Wouldn't blink again, AAISP have been superb. Even today they've reset DLM on my first FTTC line (I have two FTTC lines with them, bonded). BT Business charge extras for IP addresses or even a single static IP, most ISP's do not. You may be better off finding another ISP like Zen or AAISP or something.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 09:30:15 PM »

Cheers.

I did actually mention Zen to him, they seem to get decent reviews.  AAISP seem a bit pricey though (even for just home)....but I guess you pay for what you get!

Are they the 'BE Unlimited' style provider of today?

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »

Don't know about other ISPs, but business use is against the T&Cs of BT residential.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 12:46:09 AM »

AA is pricey for a good reason, they are just stunning. And very good for business users.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 01:16:18 AM »

Cheers.

I did actually mention Zen to him, they seem to get decent reviews.  AAISP seem a bit pricey though (even for just home)....but I guess you pay for what you get!

Are they the 'BE Unlimited' style provider of today?

Regarding the 'BE Unlimited' comparison, I would say yes. The control panel is functional and insightful (e.g. CQM graph, line test, PPP kill or such other functionality within it). You get what you pay for. I was with Zen who failed to send out an SFI engineer last year when I had issues with my line at an old address. I ordered a second line from AAISP and still had problems on that line, Shaun got on to the case immediately and four SFI engineers later (three of which were escalated, one commented that my provider must know someone in a high place at Openreach haha) the problem I was having somewhat improved and was much more under control, within a span of about two weeks I think. No charges for any of the SFI engineers and excellent customer service overall!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »

I would suggest that as a business they perhaps might not want to solely be thinking about shaving off a pound or so of cost to get a worse service. AA have a fast network. That might or might not matter. Businesses do often care a lot about downtime. What happens when things go wrong - it's then you need someone to really fight BT for you.

AA can set you up with 4G failover and / or multiple dsl lines for reliability. That might be worth something depending on the business needs for reliability.

It is very comforting knowing where the buck stops too.

adrianw

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 02:55:07 AM »

I had BT Business for a while.
Never again, BT Business were unbelievably incompetent, totally screwing up their instructions to OR.
By far the worst ISP I have ever encountered.
They appear to be a franchise operation, so their behaviour may vary across the country.

I switched to Plusnet Business and had mixed feelings about them.

I switched both my home and remote lines to A&A at the turn of the year, and am delighted with them.
Usually problem free.
I can remember just one day recently when there were brief periods of inaccessibility, which I assume were due to minor glitches with the new TT network.

In my opinion A&A are considerably better than Be were.

A&A allowances go further than you might think as:
* Half your unused monthly allowance is carried forward.
* Uploads are free.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »

Thanks for the info. I understand there are t&c's against running business on residential, so I'll make that clear to him.

I will recommend AA - and that's also someone I'm keen to look at myself in a year when my BT contract is up. I loved my time with BE, even though it was only standard ADSL2. Having a techy ISP and support who understand what you need and what you're asking for is priceless.

I bet AA will be one of the first ISP's to offer DLM changing on their control panel whenever that's released. I remember with BE, you could go onto your control panel and change anything.... latency type, line profile type. Being able to test your line out yourself, at your own leisure, was brill.

Am I right in thinking that the people behind Hyperoptic are former ‘BE’ folk? I’d be all over that myself if they did single residential dwellings…!

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »

Iirc AA used to resell BE lines, btw.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 06:07:25 PM »

Quick question about AA.

So, if you go with Home:200gb....and hit that limit, can you then purchase the 'blocks' I've read about?

If not, what's the process once you hit 200gb? I'm sure they don't cut you off, so it's probably pretty likley they throttle your service down to the low mb's....maybe.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

DaveC

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 09:04:57 PM »

So, if you go with Home:200gb....and hit that limit, can you then purchase the 'blocks' I've read about?

If not, what's the process once you hit 200gb? I'm sure they don't cut you off, so it's probably pretty likley they throttle your service down to the low mb's....maybe.

I think you can choose - either the line will be throttled to a low speed until you top up manually, or you can configure an "auto top-up".

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 01:05:56 AM »

sotonsam, don't know as I don't use that deal. AA sales will tell you, or ask anyone staff or customers on AA IRC channel or on twitter / sms / email.

I use the old units tariff, wherein I buy so many -pre-purchased download units each month and nothing happens if you use more then that, the excess just gets charged at a slightly higher rate. If I don't use all the units that I have purchased then the remainder gets carried over to the next month (with a limit of an extra 100% of the pre-purchase). It is extremely expensive if you use a lot in the daytime weekdays so not recommended unless you fit a certain pattern but if you do downloads in the time band 0200-0559 BST then it's incredible as it's charged at one ‘unit’ (£3.90) per TB download.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »

Quick question about AA.

https://support.aa.net.uk/Home::1 - This may help.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 02:33:11 PM »

I would support the idea to get a business connection rather than a residential one.

However, while there is no doubt that A&A is a very good ISP it charges a premium for its services and I do wonder if it might be overkill for a firm which doesn't even have an internet connection atm. I am assuming they won't be particularly demanding/technical users of any connection, though it obviously depends what they use it for.
Pages: [1] 2

anything