Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom UK CEO Warns BT to “fibre-up, or risk fading away”  (Read 1769 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Ofcom UK CEO Warns BT to “fibre-up, or risk fading away”
« on: April 26, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/ofcom-uk-ceo-warns-bt-to-fibre-up-or-risk-fading-away.html

The boss of UK telecoms regulator Ofcom, Sharon White, has told a conference in London today that BT (Openreach) must replace their “Victorian-era” copper ISP network with a modern “full fibre” (FTTP/H) broadband alternative or “risk losing swathes of customers to [rivals].”

The strong words came as Openreach continues to be put under pressure for a perceived lack of investment in Gigabit capable Fibre-to-the-Premises (FTTP/H) networks. At present the operator expects to bring “ultrafast broadband” (100Mbps+) connections to 13 million premises by the end of 2020, although only 3 million of that will come from FTTP and the rest is be delivered via slower hybrid fibre G.fast solutions.

Achieving 3 million by the end of 2020 would actually be quite a significant level of progress but the challenge is around what comes next.

Clive Selley, CEO of Openreach, said:

“We’re now committed to delivering FTTP in 40 towns, cities and boroughs and in just a few short weeks we’ve raised the delivery rate of full fibre to over a thousand homes per week in Bristol and in Cardiff.

By the end of May, we’ll be building to 1000 homes each week in each of the eight cities we’ve announced in our first wave. We will double our FTTP footprint this year. And we don’t yet know how fast we can go.

But be assured Openreach will go full throttle, at scale, across 40 cities.

This what I've been saying for a while. That OR are behind and need to catch up.

Which are the 40 towns, cities and boroughs that are due to get FTTP? Have these been published?

I would be amazed if they manage to reach 10 million premises by 2020 via G.fast. I wouldn't have thought that many properites could get 100Mbps+ while the pods are attached to the cabinets.

What are other peoples thoughts?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

stevebrass

• Reg Member
Re: Ofcom UK CEO Warns BT to “fibre-up, or risk fading away”
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 04:25:00 PM »

Dies she think that BT are not aware of this?
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 04:37:24 PM »

Since OFCOM has been the main force getting in the way of BT replacing copper with fibre, it seems a bit rich that Sharon White should lecture them on the subject.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »

As of March 2019 Ofcom will have no purpose. Perhaps Sharon White has just realised that her gravy-train is about to hit the buffers and then be carted off to the scrap yard?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »

Only the first wave of 8 announced so far.

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,20971.0.html

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 05:58:43 AM »

Awaiting for one of the few good things of brexit to happen.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 07:52:58 AM »

Ofcom will still be there. They just won't, probably, be obeying and implementing Single Market rules. They'll be entirely at the whim of the UK government.

Yay.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »

I'm going to be a little harsh in this post. But its like the good friend not sitting around while his friend makes a mistake.

I hope BT/OR do well and keep moving forward as when they deliver services they have a good record. Other FTTP companies have little track record so it is still a gamble to go with them.

I think Ofcom should move away from focusing on BT/OR and instead start including ALL network operators in to the mix. There are instances of terrible practices by VM yet go unpunished and even uncommented on. I doubt BT/OR would be 1. allowed to get away with locking only their product to use on their network, and 2. get away with using a sub-standard modem for so long without them being told to improve it. A similar thing with the speeds, promising 300MB speeds yet people only getting under 80MB (or less). I've seen no comment from Ofcom about this. Not just picking on VM btw. These other FTTP providers need also bringing in to scope too.

I find it interesting when FTTP is mentioned to OR directly they never mention ofcom as holding them back. But whatever the situation is with Ofcom BT/OR are still a business and they are obviously making a lot of money from their copper network, and thats the reason they (more the BT side than OR) are reluctant now to change over. I mean blaming their customers for holding them back is a bit lame. If they want to put up fibre then do it.

If I was a shop keeper and I sold banana's and all my customers liked the product. Then I wanted to start selling bunches of bananas that are higher quality, even though some customers might only like buying 1 banana at a time, I wouldnt let that stop me selling bunches of banana's.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »

Personally, I don't think privatising Openreach has achieved much at all. I realise Openreach didn't exist and it was just part of BT but I think the infrastructure should have remained under state control and been rolled out to all, rather than being based on economics. We've had to pay anyway.

anything