Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Win 10 constantly crashing  (Read 8658 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Win 10 constantly crashing
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:30:53 PM »

Hi All,

Windows 10 is crashing even more often than usual three times thios week since Wednesday, the following messages.

K Mode exception not handled
Faulty hardware corrupted page
IRQL not less or equal

I had the pc repaired recently at I couldn't open windows, the guy who did the job suggested that constant crashes may be a sign the mother board is at fault.
Was he correct, the pc is about five years old.

Regards,

Peter

Peter

• Reg Member
Re: Win 10 constantly crashing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 08:35:55 PM »

Forgot to add I cannot check for updates as this will not launch, also on shut down I get 'Task Host Window Task host is stopping background tasks, with the option to go back and complete my work or shut down anyway.

I cannot find any reason for this.

Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:28:15 PM »

I had the pc repaired recently at I couldn't open windows, the guy who did the job suggested that constant crashes may be a sign the mother board is at fault.
Was he correct, the pc is about five years old.

Yes, that could be a possibility. However I am surprised with the hardware only being about five years old. (I have a system that is, hardware wise, nineteen years old!)

My guess would be either a mother-board or a memory fault.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »

I use a utility called bluescreen view if I get any crashes. Sometimes it can hint at which area is giving you problems.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

The last time I had crashes was years ago when I installed an old wiping program that had an encryption part to it called BC Wipe. For some reason even though I had just installed it and wasn't using it, it kept causing the crashes.

Have you installed anything just before these problems started? Maybe a new anti virus program? or did you update an anti virus program?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:15:56 AM »

yes thats a great app.

My first avenue would be testing the ram.

hci memtest is great for this
karhu ramtest is also held in high regard although this one is not free, not even a trial version

memtest86 may come up on google searches, its ok but nowhere near as good as hci at detecting memory errors.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 03:56:36 PM »

Thanks all, it seems to me the crashes have been going on since updating to win 10, but not so frequent.

My son is going to check the memory first, I'll tell about your recommendations, much appreciated.

thanks again.

Pete

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 09:04:13 PM »

Got my PC back today after my son ran memory test for at least 48 hours and found no problems there, he then managed to get updates installed, quite a lot it appears, somehow something was switched off and preventing automatic up dates, no idea how that happened I tend to leave well alone.
It remains to be seen if the crashes problems are cured, but at least I can thank you all for the in put, may thanks all.

Regards,

Peter

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »

Thats good that it is back working now.

It seems it might just have been windows having problems?

I remember when I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 a few years ago that a couple of programs either prevented the update, or they were listed as incompatible with Win 10. It took me ages to find out which program it was. It ended up being a games client program that just needed updating.

On my main Win10 machine I had some early problems, partly of my doing and somehow corrupted part of windows. Windows store wouldnt open, windows update didnt work properly, usb devices stopped working etc. In the end a new Win10 version came out and I couldnt update normally so I used the media creation tool to install the new version over the top of the current version, and it seemed to correct all the problems I had. So that might be an idea to try if something happens in the future and hardware issues are ruled out

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 02:22:50 PM »

Thanks Bowden, I shall try to keep that in mind if I have a repeat.

Peter

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »

As usual I spoke too soon, PC ran fine for a while, then the BSod began again, twice yesterday, once today so I gave Reimage a try as Microsoft recommend it, all went well computer remotely taken over found all the problems, then our engineer will fix these in about two hours, but, (There always is a BUT) there is an extra charge, how much I ask, let me run through the options (And the sales talk) .

For one year cover after the repair twice monthly clean up etc, £250.00!  Three years, £350!

No thanks I say refund my money under the 60 days cooling off period.  We can repair these faults, (indicated on screen for the £28:95 then, I opted for that and learned an expensive lesson.

Anyone else had experience with REIMAGE?

Regards.

Peter

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 05:00:17 PM »

Backup anything important.
Reset Windows 10 (details below).
Success!

Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & security  > Recovery. Under Reset this PC, select Get started.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 05:14:01 PM »

I've just looking on youtube about Reimage and it seems most people are calling them scammers i.e. they say you have viruses when you haven't so they can keep charging you.

I suggest what j0hn recommended is a more safe and secure option.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHTpMyupctk[/youtube]
How I Fell For The Reimage PC-Scan Scam
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 05:34:24 PM by Bowdon »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »

Agreed with what Bowden wrote, and have distant memory of encounter with Reimage.

Peter, have you tried sfc /scannow &/or DISM?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dism&oq=dism&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.15327j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 07:58:08 PM »

Many thanks guys, it is getting me down now to the extent I'm even considering a change of computer, I think I'll ask my son(s) to try the options you suggest, I don't have the IT nous.

Regards.

Peter

dee.jay

• ISP Rep
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »

Did you upgrade from the previous OS, or did you wipe the computer clean before upgrading?

I've got about ~28 years experience of PC's and usually, an upgrade is bad news, always was. The best thing to do would be to backup all your personal files and applications (i.e. ensure you have the installation files) and wipe the computer and install Windows again from scratch.
Starlink and AAISP L2TP combo routed by opnSense on proxmox
Pages: [1] 2

anything