Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Freeview tuning tips - in case you have problems like me  (Read 1382 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Freeview tuning tips - in case you have problems like me
« on: April 27, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »

I was having problems with one of my TVs tuning and getting all channels to appear. No matter what I did or how many times I retuned it did not collect all channels. I eventually found a reset process which did work fine.

1. power off TV
2 unplug aerial
3 turn on TV
4 do a full retune which cleans out all your channels as you don't have an aerial connected
5 power off TV
6 plug in aerial
7 turn on TV
8 do a full retune and do a full retune

hopefully after this it will find all the channels that should be there. Mine did.... This should also work with DVD recorders as well....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Freeview tuning tips - in case you have problems like me
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 08:41:44 PM »

If you looked up the MUX channel numbers you could do a manual retune just for the stations you are missing
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »

I think most Freeview guis do offer to distinuish between “scan for new channels” and “complete rescan for all channels”.   In my view, the vast majority want the latter, and it should be the default.

But even the tuning menus can be hard to find.  Whilst considering a contribution to this thread  I have spent the last half hour, navigating menus, trying to find tuning options for my Panasonic Firefox OS smart TV.   Could not find them at all, was driving myself nuts.  >:(

Eventually I twigged, because I had been switched to an HDMI input when I started browsing the TV setup menus, tuning options were removed.   Not just greyed out,  literally removed, the tuning options were  invisible, they did not exist.   Once I switched back from HDMI to TV, DVB tuning appeared in menu->setup. ???

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 10:54:26 PM »

I tried to manually re-tune each mux but the problem was the TV did not have the correct information about the muxes, it was only after using this process that the TV had the correct mux information in order to scan them and find all the channels - it needed its memory wiping which is what this process does. I know other TVs do things slightly differently but this is useful if you have a problematic one. This is a Samsung TV about 4 years old.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 11:02:22 PM »

We have three Freeview televisions in the house, a Panasonic, a fairly old Humax and an old Technics. On all three when you go for a setup rather than rescan an individual MUX channel they wipe everything before starting again. I've never seen an issue like you've described.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 11:34:36 AM »

I have seen this before - doing an occasional "no aerial" retune is effective at clearing the memory in a way that "first installation" doesn't always seem to achieve on some tv's.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A