Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: BeThere - Sync and Speeds Discussion  (Read 24026 times)

Re: BeThere - Sync and Speeds Discussion
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2008, 08:56:23 AM »

Sorry I'm obviously having a brainstorm - I saw you mentioning 2174.5kHz, saw mobile on the graph and didn't read much further as I'd looked at this ages ago :lol:

The band affected is obviously 2045-2160kHz which as your link (page 22) shows :

a) is exclusively for military use;
b) doesn't appear to have any specific exemptions for low-power devices (it might have - I didn't look too closely);
c) has a nice little entry called "Land Mobile"

Footnotes 2 & 11 apply as does 19. You'll note that Ofcom is quite happy to license maritime mobile stations in this band which by a process of deduction should lead you all to realise that the UK military uses this band exclusively for land-based communications. With a little bit of digging you might even work out exactly what its used for but I'm afraid I can't tell you as (many years ago) I signed the Official Secrets Act :(

Now either Be are right and everyone else is wrong or there's something odd about the Speedtouch which requires them to block this band.

Its my opinion that Be are right not to be using the band and everyone else is wrong. If it does cause a problem then we'll find out as WBC rolls out.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2008, 08:21:16 AM »

It's an interesting one - like you say rizla, I think a few of us will be interested to see what BT do.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »

lol @ rizla agreeing with Be :lol:

>> Now either Be are right and everyone else is wrong or there's something odd about the Speedtouch which requires them to block this band.

I wish you could see the numerous threads on the "discussion" of the subject that went on a few months back, but reading between the lines it appears Be were caught out with this one.

- First of all they werent even aware they were blocked.
- Then they came up with the maritime frequencies - which was later disproved.
- Then they said it was down to the equipment vendor - but some exchanges arent configured this way and arent blocked... and theres been no real answer as to why no other LLU provider blocks them.
- The latest is that they reakon it causes instability issues and its a Be profile "We believe, with our equipment vendor, that we have selected the best profile that we can use through the UK".

So yep will be interesting to see what BT does.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]