Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Now up, but speed for now not what hoped for  (Read 20556 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Now up, but speed for now not what hoped for
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »

This is just me get Plusnet to send out an OR Broadband Engineer let them run the tests at your Master Socket with this JDSU it will show up the correct loop length pair balance and a lot of other stuff on your circuit it should not cost you anything.

But your VDSL line looks way better than that old ADSL

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »

Earlier today you posted the Hlog plot for your circuit and I have now examined it.

I see that --
  • the US0, DS1, US1 & DS2 bands are in use. (Good.)
  • from the overall shape of the curve that there is no obvious defect in the metallic pathway. (Good.)
  • it hints the overall length is more towards "longer" rather than "shorter". (No problem.)
The questions I need to ask are: Why do you need a G.993.2 (VDSL2) based circuit? What does it allow you to do that was not possible with a G.992.5 (ADSL2+) based circuit?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2018, 10:39:11 PM »

I agree, but the comments in the posts above do strongly suggest that for some reason my circuit is incapable of speeds toward high end of the estimate. This is despite upgraded wiring, and the private engineer's comment on line  quality. Decision is not easy, and less so due to the nearness to the hand back, and our away days. :help::yuck:

Well we know plusnet are erring on the side of a caution a little bit by not committing to the low clean estimate from BTw.

However the low clean estimate is only 3mbit higher at 27mbit.

Dont get me wrong I would be disappointed been outside of the BTw estimate, but I wouldnt be cancelling the service either, 7mbit to 24mbit is a nice jump. Although you can call their bluff, say you going to cancel and it may trigger an engineer visit, what the engineer would do at that point tho is not a certainty.  They may just say the line is within spec and leave.

Its too easy for someone who has got lucky on crosstalk to just say to everyone else "that speed sucks get it fixed".  There is going to be losers on the crosstalk lottery.  Now with that said it doesnt mean this is all down to crosstalk and there is no technical fault somewhere affecting the sync speed.

How has the line length been determined? Anything other than BTs own figures is speculation really.  Lines can rake odd routes, there can also be cable bundled up underground or something adding to length.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2018, 11:03:25 PM »

Well we know plusnet are erring on the side of a caution a little bit by not committing to the low clean estimate from BTw.

However the low clean estimate is only 3mbit higher at 27mbit.

Dont get me wrong I would be disappointed been outside of the BTw estimate, but I wouldnt be cancelling the service either, 7mbit to 24mbit is a nice jump. Although you can call their bluff, say you going to cancel and it may trigger an engineer visit, what the engineer would do at that point tho is not a certainty.  They may just say the line is within spec and leave.

Its too easy for someone who has got lucky on crosstalk to just say to everyone else "that speed sucks get it fixed".  There is going to be losers on the crosstalk lottery.  Now with that said it doesnt mean this is all down to crosstalk and there is no technical fault somewhere affecting the sync speed.

How has the line length been determined? Anything other than BTs own figures is speculation really.  Lines can rake odd routes, there can also be cable bundled up underground or something adding to length.

See  Reply #42 on: Today at 05:01:46 PM ». I have walked the routes often over 16 years' residence, and have plotted estimates around me quite closely. Yes, it's not scientific, but it's the best I can do, and hopefully no that inaccurate. I take your points though!

[Moderator edited to interchange the two closing tags, thus fixing the minor mishap.]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:51:09 PM by burakkucat »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2018, 01:41:48 AM »

Compared to historical data which assumes 6db target margin, the speed probably is low.  If you do get an engineer ask him to give you line length data.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2018, 07:54:04 AM »

You mean the D side?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »

yeah, the length of the copper, so for FTTC just the D side.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2018, 04:49:28 PM »

Is it allowed to cancel due to low speeds, without paying the early termination charges, if you haven't given Plusnet the opportunity to fix it first?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2018, 08:09:28 PM »

I'm running speed tests for PN faulting, and accidentally ran one twice. The first reported ~20 Mbps and Ping ~35ms, the accidental ~80Mbps and ~20ms.
Is this the result of my ineptitude, or does it have significance? But what?

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2018, 08:11:45 PM »

Is it allowed to cancel due to low speeds, without paying the early termination charges, if you haven't given Plusnet the opportunity to fix it first?

No. According to https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-speed-estimates/#i-think-i-want-to-leave--what-do-i-need-to-know you have to let them try and resolve it first:

We'd be sad to see you go. But if you do decide to try another provider, we'll waive any early termination charges or cease fees as long as:

• you've spoken to us and a speed fault has been raised
  • you've given us a chance to take a look into and resolve the problem, including letting an engineer come to your home to take a look
  • your Broadband is slower than the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed
  • You have contacted our Customer Options Team to tell us you want to leave because we can't resolve your speed fault

This is pretty much alike BT's terms (http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained) which are probably down to the Ofcom Voluntary Code of Practice: Broadband Speeds (though I can't say I have read into it).
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »

I'm running speed tests for PN faulting, and accidentally ran one twice. The first reported ~20 Mbps and Ping ~35ms, the accidental ~80Mbps and ~20ms.
Is this the result of my ineptitude, or does it have significance? But what?

Where are you running the tests? BTW speed tester? If so, a wild variance, as many on the forum have noticed :giggle:, is not too unusual.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2018, 12:28:25 AM »

If the Plusnet Hub One syncs lower than your Billion, using that might keep you below Plusnets estimate after your line drops to a 3dB snrm target.

It will drop to 3dB today or tomorrow, and take you above 24Mb.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2018, 07:36:11 AM »

Tricky, as at 9 I'm off away to latish Thursday.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2018, 06:26:36 PM »

Back now!
PN have been in contact and suggest an engineer visit as speed below min (not hand back). GEA test and Radius are in att'd PDF, and line is longer than thought. (I know you told me so :-[ :D). There seems little of note in the test. Could there still be something in our wiring since the SSFP was fitted, and test socket moved from d/stairs to room above by my contractor? If he's done the job properly, I'd hope BT would not  spot any thing. Thoughts?

I've left the Billion router on while away. Before going the FECs were quite low, but yesterday's (no activity by me, DSLStats recorded  @ 14749443/hour, and today @ 49319738/hour.

Does anyone know what Sagemcom the HubOne is based on, and if DSLStats will yield any stats at all, should I need change to it?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »

Could there still be something in our wiring since the SSFP was fitted, and test socket moved from d/stairs to room above by my contractor? If he's done the job properly, I'd hope BT would not  spot any thing. Thoughts?

I have every confidence that the work was done correctly. My advice is to forget that it took place and do not mention it to anyone!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8