Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Now up, but speed for now not what hoped for  (Read 20367 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Now up, but speed for now not what hoped for
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2018, 10:44:32 PM »

Disappointing result after OR visit would have thought there may have been some kind of fault showing why your line is way below the impacted range.
But from my earliest posts
He had suspected a battery fault somewhere, but couldn't locate it.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2018, 11:02:27 PM »

Have never understood this battery fault and how it effects the broadband this is just a copy & paste ->

Re: What the heck is a battery fault ?
The Battery Contact can occur anywhere in the Network. The test system can see it because when the Test Head disconnects your line to test it theoretically there should be no DC Voltage, although you will get some leakage from other pairs but that should never really amount to anymore than a few volts.

Anything over 9v DC will be classed as a Battery Contact.

Openreach Engineers use a test called an RFL Bridge to locate the contact. Some can be straightforward to locate but some can be difficult.

If you have a Battery Contact it means it also has an Earth, to locate it via an RFL Bridge one leg of the pairs needs a resistance of at least 100 x ohms greater than the other leg. If both legs have a contact then you need to either run a 5 wire RFL Bridge or find a spare in the same cable length to test it against.

Also not all the Battery will necesarily be in one place, I've seen it before where there's say 35v DC but in one joint is a 10v contact and then the other 25v in another joint further up the line.

Either way it needs an Engineer to go and fix it. It's nothing you can do.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:15:46 PM by NewtronStar »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2018, 11:17:19 PM »

Impacted range at the start of this thread was 30.1 - 16.5, it's not below that.
Then, what I posted would have been from BTw ADSL checker. PN in their estimate did not refer to impacted range. This is what they said in their messages
Code: [Select]
We estimate your broadband speed should be between 27Mbps and 40Mbps and your minimum guaranteed access line speed is 22.4Mbps.

Also from N'star's post
Also not all the Battery will necesarily be in one place, I've seen it before where there's say 35v DC but in one joint is a 10v contact and then the other 25v in another joint further up the line.
Interesting, as he did say of the ali, that he knew it was there, but not how much and the joints were often the problem. Given the comment of the engineer in '02, mentioned somewhere above, that I can well believe.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 11:31:56 PM by renluop »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2018, 12:06:59 AM »

Have never understood this battery fault and how it effects the broadband . . .

Remember that a broadband connection to the Internet being carried over an xDSL link consists of two (very low power) radio frequency transceivers (operating in differential mode) at either end of a metallic pathway. That metallic pathway, the telephony circuit, is coerced into operating as a radio frequency transmission line. The transmission line needs to have a good AC balance to reject any common-mode interference which may be coupled into the pair. With spurious contact(s) to the pair, either a battery contact or an earth contact or both faults, the transmission line becomes severely unbalanced. The end result is that the broadband service is degraded.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2018, 12:19:48 AM »

the transmission line becomes severely unbalanced. The end result is that the broadband service is degraded.

So I am guessing renluop will need further OR engineer visits to find and fix this, not something myself would like as I have some kind or Openreach Phobia but could endure if the end result means a less degraded broadband signal.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2018, 12:31:07 AM »

So I am guessing renluop will need further OR engineer visits to find and fix this, not something myself would like as I have some kind or Openreach Phobia but could endure if the end result means a less degraded broadband signal.

There are two factors to consider: (1) Hampshire is not Lancashire, so there is no chance that Black Sheep would attend. (2) The D-side is DIG, made of aluminium and, after many repairs to the various pairs that it contains, appears to consist more of joints than of cable!

Basically the cable needs to be replaced. It needs an Openreach technician to "fault it" and write out an "A1024".  :-X

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2018, 12:44:51 AM »

Basically the cable needs to be replaced. It needs an Openreach technician to "fault it" and write out an "A1024".  :-X

Gezz a A1024 know what that is, can take many months for any work to be done unless you push someone  :-X

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2018, 08:34:48 AM »

Irrelevant comment.

It just so happens that Openreach are in our road in next door but one, outside which is a chamber constructed, when once they dealt with a voice fault on my line.

Of course coincidence.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »

Woe is me! For most of the day internet has been inaccessible. Billion has tried incessantly to get  a connection. Bearer 0 has shown feasible values, but Bearer 1 nothing, inactive.

I thought better see it's not the Billion, so reinstalled the HomeHub 1. That was after 18:30. Then at 18:50 the internet connection resumed. Now was it mere coincidence that it resumed with the Hub in place, or is the Billion the cause of the troubles? Should I put the Billion back?

Also there was another Openreach in a nearby road, served by the same DP according to wifey, and even more peculiar is that she claims to have been using her IPad to browse and listen to IPlayer, when I was with problem.

I ran Windows Connection Diagnostics. Does it say anything unusual?
Code: [Select]
Diagnostics Information (Network Adapter)
Details about network adapter diagnosis:

Network adapter Wi-Fi driver information:

Description . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1707 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)
   Manufacturer  . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
   Provider  . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
   Version   . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.341
   Inf File Name . . . . . . . . . : C:\WINDOWS\INF\oem5.inf
   Inf File Date . . . . . . . . . : Friday, May 20, 2016  3:20:02 AM
   Section Name  . . . . . . . . . : ATHR_DEV_OS61_020E1028.ndi
   Hardware ID . . . . . . . . . . : pci\ven_168c&dev_0036&subsys_020e1028
   Instance Status Flags . . . . . : 0x180200a
   Device Manager Status Code  . . : 0
   IfType  . . . . . . . . . . . . : 71
   Physical Media Type . . . . . . : 9

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)
Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis:

Information for connection being diagnosed
 Interface GUID: 899df3a3-3568-4f05-bf0e-9a821b443db7
 Interface name: Dell Wireless 1707 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)
 Interface type: Native Wi-Fi

Connection incident diagnosed
 Auto Configuration ID: 1

List of visible access point(s): 3 item(s) total, 3 item(s) displayed
        BSSID BSS Type PHY Signal(dB) Chnl/freq    SSID
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
34-97-F6-23-A4-28 Infra <unknown> -73 1 Omar_5G
60-03-47-00-2A-A1 Infra <unknown> -12 13 Billion-8800NL
C4-EA-1D-A3-49-39 Infra <unknown> -67 6 TNCAPA34939

Connection History

Information for Auto Configuration ID 1

List of visible networks: 3 item(s) total, 3 item(s) displayed
  BSS Type PHY Security Signal(RSSI) Compatible SSID
  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Infra <unknown> Yes 54 Yes Omar_5G
  Infra <unknown> Yes 100 Yes Billion-8800NL
  Infra <unknown> Yes 66 Yes TNCAPA34939

List of preferred networks: 2 item(s)
   Profile: PLUSNET-SXWQ
    SSID: PLUSNET-SXWQ
    SSID length: 12
    Connection mode: Infra
    Security: Yes
    Set by group policy: No
    Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No
    Connectable: No
     Reason: 0x00028002
   Profile: Billion-8800NL
    SSID: Billion-8800NL
    SSID length: 14
    Connection mode: Infra
    Security: Yes
    Set by group policy: No
    Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No
    Connectable: Yes

Diagnostics Information (Wireless Connectivity)
Details about wireless connectivity diagnosis:

For complete information about this session see the wireless connectivity information event.

Helper Class: Auto Configuration
 Initialize status: Success

Information for connection being diagnosed
 Interface GUID: 899df3a3-3568-4f05-bf0e-9a821b443db7
 Interface name: Dell Wireless 1707 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)
 Interface type: Native Wi-Fi

Result of diagnosis: There may be problem

Root cause:
A wireless connection attempt is still in progress

Detailed root cause:
A wireless connection attempt is still in progress

Repair option:
Wait for the connection attempt to complete
Windows is currently attempting to connect to "Billion-8800NL". If the connection fails, start diagnostics again.

Network Diagnostics Log
File Name: 277274DC-CC5B-424E-B662-458AFCC938A4.Diagnose.0.etl

Other Networking Configuration and Logs
File Name: NetworkConfiguration.cab

Collection information
Computer Name: DESKTOP-8LLCCG2
Windows Version: 10.0
Architecture: x64
Time:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »

Woe is me! For most of the day internet has been inaccessible. Billion has tried incessantly to get  a connection. Bearer 0 has shown feasible values, but Bearer 1 nothing, inactive.

That is correct. "Bearer 0" is the normal pathway for normal traffic. "Bearer 1" is only used when the retransmission of one or more packets is required.

I thought better see it's not the Billion, so reinstalled the HomeHub 1. That was after 18:30. Then at 18:50 the internet connection resumed. Now was it mere coincidence that it resumed with the Hub in place, or is the Billion the cause of the troubles? Should I put the Billion back?

My feeling is that it was pure coincidence. As to which device you use, choose which ever one you find more convenient. (In parenthesis, I would choose the Billion device.)

Also there was another Openreach in a nearby road, served by the same DP according to wifey, . . .

Ah, so perhaps there was some work in progress which may have been the cause of the outage.

. . . and even more peculiar is that she claims to have been using her IPad to browse and listen to IPlayer, when I was with problem.

Senior management has achieved such a feat in the past. If you look back through you posts, you will find a record of the incident. It turns out that your near neighbour is running an insecure WiFi network and Mrs. Ren's IPad was connected via that network, not your own!  :D

I ran Windows Connection Diagnostics. Does it say anything unusual?
<snip>

None of that means anything to me, sorry.  :no:

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2018, 09:07:35 PM »

Thank you for your patient reply.
That is correct. "Bearer 0" is the normal pathway for normal traffic. "Bearer 1" is only used when the retransmission of one or more packets is required.

My feeling is that it was pure coincidence. As to which device you use, choose which ever one you find more convenient. (In parenthesis, I would choose the Billion device.)Much more informative

Ah, so perhaps there was some work in progress which may have been the cause of the outage.

Senior management has achieved such a feat in the past. If you look back through you posts, you will find a record of the incident. It turns out that your near neighbour is running an insecure WiFi network and Mrs. Ren's IPad was connected via that network, not your own!  :DI do remember that, but was reminded that before when router was off, she failed to connect. That's puzzling!

None of that means anything to me, sorry.  :no:

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2018, 06:22:40 PM »

"Bearer 0" is the normal pathway for normal traffic. "Bearer 1" is only used when the retransmission of one or more packets is required.

This seems to be a common misconception, due to the fact that "Bearer 1" only appears with G.INP. With G.INP, "Bearer 0" is used for user data traffic, including retransmitted data, and "Bearer 1" is used for overhead/management traffic - things like organising bitswaps and exchanging stat values with the other end.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2018, 09:04:34 AM »

2.5 meg uplift early hours with lower up speed. As yet nothing  from BTOR/PN. I can wait! ;D

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2018, 08:04:57 PM »

Report of BTOR engineer visit etc.
see attachments for what they're worth!

There doesn't appear much to tell, unless you can see anything, but although I cannot find it now, an earlier GEA test had a shorter line length. Er, how?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

anything