Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: While we're excited about 330Mb, in Singapore...  (Read 3455 times)

niemand

• Kitizen
While we're excited about 330Mb, in Singapore...
« on: April 23, 2018, 01:49:03 PM »

https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/broadband/fibre-broadband-plans

Give or take that's £25 for 1Gb, £34 for 2Gb, £102 for 10Gb.

This is probably where at least parts of our major cities should be rather than relying on hybrid technologies but I dread to imagine the complaints about the digital divide if it were the case.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: While we're excited about 330Mb, in Singapore...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »

Well BT seems obsessed with keeping consumer products different to business which is why I think they doing this 330/30 stuff instead of 1000/1000. Probably in fear of business migrating en masse to consumer FTTP.  Sort of like how intel disables overclocking on its server chips, and also keeps vt-d disabled on its consumer chips to keep the 2 customers using the proper SKUs.

The hybrid stuff I maintain its down to the regulatory environment, its anti investment for the dominant telco.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 02:06:20 PM by Chrysalis »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »

This shows what can be done.

UK isn't a large country and our density is high compared to other european countries.

I think there needs to be a re-think and attitude change at the top when it comes to national fibre roll-outs.

I'm sure in singapore operators aren't publically asking "What do people need 1Gbps for?".
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »

Sure and in Singapore they have no NHS equivalent
Its all privatised - the whole lot.

It's funded by yourself by compulsory insurance type deductions and your extended family are expected to cough up as well if you need treatment and you run a bit short.
I'm sure we could improve our broadband if we closed down the NHS and spent it on broadband.

Nor do they have to be bothered about any supra-national body such as the EU telling them as government what they can and cannot do. Which since the same party has won every single election since independence is probably just as well.
Its basically a one party hard right wing city state.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 06:29:22 PM »

I've been to Singapore a few times. Try and buy a pint for under a tenner ............. EVERYTHING there is expensive ......... apart from broadband it appears ??.

Whippy-do. I know where I'd rather be, muddling by on FTTC speeds.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:37:16 PM »

Don't try and buy or run a car there either, it's mega expensive - got a mate who lives/works out there.

https://www.valuepenguin.sg/costs-car-ownership-singapore
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 07:21:07 PM »

Looks as though this became chit chat.

Shame. Far more interesting than many on topic threads.

Price of things in Singapore reflects the high incomes many have.

It is, of course, a state with many issues, none of which are relevant in any way, shape or form to its broadband provisions.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 07:25:50 PM »

Looks as though this became chit chat.

Shame. Far more interesting than many on topic threads.

Price of things in Singapore reflects the high incomes many have.

It is, of course, a state with many issues, none of which are relevant in any way, shape or form to its broadband provisions.

Yeah ...... the £125 BILLION pounds it costs to fund the NHS has no relevance whatsoever when drawing comparisons ....  :hmm: :giggle:

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 07:39:05 PM »

I must have missed the part where taxpayers were funding the NHS instead of building broadband networks. I wasn't comparing Singapore and the UK, just pointing out that its democratic deficits, lack of a health service for all and alarming inequality aren't relevant to its provision of broadband.

Singapore have a completely different model. They built a government subsidised NBN in a similar manner to the one Australia are working on. That the UK has an NHS, at least for now, doesn't prevent it from doing the same.

UK simply chose the worst of both worlds with its approach, being neither free market or building a single NBN.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »

That last line I can agree with.

You either need to give telcos freedom, or state build it in my view.

End of the day if a government has the willpower it will "always" find the money.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »

Is the SingTel 2Gor 10G service real, do you actually get those speeds?

What kind of CPE do they use? 10Gbps router's don't come cheap. And don't users want wi-fi? Can forget about 10Gbps over wlan.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 10:24:30 PM »

It's a shame we're so behind in this country. As has been said, BTO need to stop fiddling with these hybrid offerings that delivery minimal improvements and just put all their resources into deploying FTTP. Just use the existing runs...over the poles etc.

Obviously not as straight forward as I put it, but it's the only way we're going to move forward here. Relying on copper will always deliver massive shortfalls.
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 11:02:12 PM »

If you want to compare something here to singapore I'd say it's HS2.

Currently being costed at the last check (from last year) at £55.7 billion, lets move all that money over to funding full fibre that everyone in the country can use.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 11:07:32 PM »

Is the SingTel 2Gor 10G service real, do you actually get those speeds?

What kind of CPE do they use? 10Gbps router's don't come cheap. And don't users want wi-fi? Can forget about 10Gbps over wlan.

The services are real though I do not know how reliable the speeds are. Most nations don't have regulators of telecomms and advertising that combine incompency, idiocy and incompetence as well as ours do so I wouldn't be surprised if the performance were far more variable than anything tolerated here. People here complain about being a few percent below their maximum let alone swings of tens of percent.

What about wireless? A bunch of people even with our pedestrian speeds in the UK are bottlenecked by it so doubt it's a major issue.

They supply a WiFi mesh network. The actual router I've no idea about.

EDIT: I can guarantee some variation on the 10G service - it's delivered by XGPON.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 01:20:07 AM »

I just wondered about the effect of wireless on the take up of the very high speed services. Many people in the UK seem to now be completely wedded to wireless, indeed if they are using say an iPad then they don't have proper wired Gb communications options. If you are using a wired PC and B4RN for example then you might get a certain disappointment if you go wireless but some 80211ac wave 2 kit is pretty impressive now and Cisco for example sell WAPs with 2Gb of wired connectivity into them so that that will not be a bottleneck. However if you want to use 10G, then a wireless NIC is going to be a big compromise and if you notice such things (some people do not) then you will see a huge speed drop if the 10Gb figure is real. Maybe no one cares about such things and they either don't know about wireless or they have some pcs that are wireful and that is enough.

[Moderator fix: s/iPas/iPad/ ]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 05:07:34 PM by burakkucat »
Pages: [1] 2