Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom seeks to scrap local TV roll-out  (Read 873 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Ofcom seeks to scrap local TV roll-out
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:09:12 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43837949

Media regulator Ofcom has proposed scrapping the further roll-out of local TV channels across the UK, citing concerns over "economic viability".

More than 30 local TV stations have already been set up in the UK as part of a plan laid out in 2011 by then culture secretary Jeremy Hunt.

But several of the channels have faced financial difficulties and have struggled to attract an audience.

Ofcom has now proposed scrapping the roll-out of further local channels.

"Requiring new infrastructure to be built for additional local TV channels is not, in our current view, economically viable. It could also undermine the many local services already on air," a spokeswoman said.

/rant mode on  >:(

If there is one group that represents all the negativity and pessimism in the country its Ofcom!

Whatever happened with running tv stations as a service to the local people?

It seems the bean counters have taken over free expression and thought in our society. Everything as got to be about instantly making a profit or its knocked down, terminate it, end it.

They arent prepared to build up a good reputation and engage with the public.

I've never been one for talking about 'class'. But there seems to be a class of people in these top positions that seem so far removed from what the public wants, on many issues, that even when they want to make a programme it becomes so politically correct that even the people its aimed at don't like it as well as everyone else.

When will the madness end!?

/rant mode off  :-[

Sorry peeps. It just so annoys me how short sighted people can be, especially when it comes to tv (and of course the broadband market too  ;) ). These companies wonder why viewing figures generally are low for tv these days, and blame it mainly on people using the internet. That will partly be a reason. But the other reason is most programmes are so unrelatable hardly anyone watches them.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Ofcom seeks to scrap local TV roll-out
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 11:35:55 PM »

Not so sure.

Around here, and unusually, we had a sixth channel in days of analogue.  It was local and rather sweet, a “sports broadcast” would be the Sunday 5 a side team, playing in the local park with a handful of neighbours cheering them on.   There were “travel programmes”, showing an intrepid couple exploring the local footpaths.   As an alternative to the BBC 1/2, ITV or Ch 4/5 mainstream channels,  we quite liked it.   I even put the footpath couple’s programmes on my letter to Santa one year, and ended up with a branded boxed set of the footpath DVDs. :)

But in the digital age, when there are 1001 alternatives to the mainstream broadcaster, or failing that we have Amazon/Netflix/Apple whatever,  I am not surprised that local is unviable.  Reluctantly I feel, better to face up to that reallity?    :(

Just my opinion.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Ofcom seeks to scrap local TV roll-out
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 11:49:12 AM »

I hear what your saying. There are too many channels and its dialuting the quality of tv imho.

I was reading last week that the TalkingPictures TV channel that usually runs mostly black and white films is actually broadcast (or the people directing the channel) is a father and daughter and its based in the fathers shed. So it can't be that expensive to run a tv channel if they can do that. I think the biggest issue would be bringing consistant new content to the channel. But then I think it depends how many people are on-board with the idea.

I have a lot of dvd box sets too. Especially of the older tv comedies. I have ones going back to the 60s, 70s, 80s and just recently bought the Men Behaving Badly - from the 90s.

I wonder if the evolution path we're on is going to mean that regular tv will disappear as we know it. Apart from the news, everything else could be broadcast online. I wonder if thats the plan. To move everything online.

I wonder if I could produce/direct my own channel in the future. If I could get it so smart tv's or devices could add unofficial tv channels. I guess the nearest today would be setting up a live youtube channel and broadcasting it through the youtube app.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

anything