Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Stats  (Read 16014 times)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
Re: Stats
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »

Yeah, I must admit I'm not putting in much hope of DLM giving me much of a kick. At least BT are still trying to help and live by their 63-80 range they say they want to get me back to.

My SNRM on the downstream is pretty static, but the highest recordings I've noted were around 10pm last night for no more than 1 min. D1 jumped to 8, D2 9.3 and D3 11.2. I guess those short-jumps can simply be a case of another customer or two unplugging their modem for a few mins!
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »

@sotonsam, it looks like you've resized the DSLstats window! ;D

Anyway, the error counters are looking pretty good. The MTBE (Mean Time Between Errors) is currently at about 1000. While you're above the green threshold (which would allow for the DLM to make improvements), your line is already running at max speed with no interleaving (fastpath) so there is no overhead to lose from what I can see. :no: This is about as fast as you can go, give or take maybe up to 5% depending on the time of day. As @GaryW said, you could find the best time to resync by looking at the SNR stats where the margin is highest to get the highest speeds. But I would be tempted to just leave it at the moment until the Openreach engineer has been on Thursday.

... BT use standard (rather than speed) profile so as long as you stay below 1440 ES per day you're fine.
I thought BT used speed profile?
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

GaryW

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2018, 04:40:24 PM »

I thought BT used speed profile?

That was always the assumption, but every time my ES for the day goes over 1440 (but well below 2880) I get DLM intervening.  When I raised this on the forum other people did comment that their experience also seems to suggest it's standard profile.  The last 3 times DLM intervened my ES totals for the day were:  1740, 1855, 1539.

If I didn't need to have my phone service with BT for a Redcare alarm system I'd be tempted to switch to another provider that's definitely on speed profile (assuming that was a definite definite!)
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2018, 06:54:45 PM »

If that is the case, then perhaps @kitz could review and update https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm? :)

I think that it's not only MTBE/R that is a factor in whether the DLM takes action, but rather bursts of errors in a short period of time and other issues (so even if the threshold is not breached).  I could be wrong as it's somewhat a speculation since I do not know and have not looked into it, but there is only so much information published. I can't disagree with you though as perhaps BT does use the standard profile and you have figures that would seem to back up that statement.
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2018, 02:37:18 AM »

Most BT lines are provisioned on the Speed profile.
It's known that some lines are provisioned on the Standard profile, but the reasons for this are unclear.

It was originally speculated that it might be those with BT TV that were on the Standard profile. I'm not so sure that's the case though.
I have BT TV and I'm definitely on the Speed profile.
I had 11 weeks without G.INP with the line jumping back and forth between fastpath/interleaving. DLM was only ever triggered if I broke the Speed profile limit (2880).

I'm pretty sure the MyDSLWebStats traffic lights had a note about some BT lines using the Standard profile, but that will be gone now.

Do you have any TV services from BT Gary?
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

GaryW

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2018, 02:16:32 PM »

Do you have any TV services from BT Gary?

No BT TV, and never had it.  However, I used to be on Unlimited Faster Broadband which has now been dropped so I'm nominally on Infinity 1.  However, I wonder if UFB was standard profile and as there was no DLM reset when I "moved" to Infinity 1 maybe it's persisted.  And/or maybe it's a long-line thing generally for "stability"?

Of course, the odds of having any sort of sensible conversation with BT about it is probably zero!  Getting a DLM reset is impossible, getting them to change the profile is also probably impossible...
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2018, 04:16:38 PM »

So, engineer has been and gone. Tried his hardest to raise my sync speed to be fair to him, and managed to get it up by 1mb....so I've at least gained a bit I guess! He did actually tell me I was the ‘first’ port to be activated on the DSLAM back in 2013, so he said I’d have experienced the biggest cross-talk drop to anyone else.

Here are my on-going stats (you can see when he was doing his work)

http://dslstats.ddns.net:55555/connection.htm

After having some chats about AAISP the other day, I'm seriously considering getting a 2nd line from these guys (broadband only) and load balancing my FTTC connections with Pfsense - which would probably give me around 120mb and 30ish up.

Won't be cheap, but I don’t have any pay tv anymore so I have a bit in the budget…and my connections combined will still be cheaper than Virgin Media's ''full house bundle'' at the £120 p/m my mate is paying.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2018, 04:45:31 AM »

I'm not sure AA is that expensive, Zen used to be pretty expensive years ago and then their prices came down. What do you think? Is BT Retail expensive?

Btw, AA still has the units tariff, I think. This is where you pay for what you use, and there are no limits, but it’s cheaper to pre-purchase download amounts than to just go ahead and go mad. If you are a light user, or do downloading overnight (which I do) then that might be worth a look. The units tariff is a secret though. That’s what I am on. It’s £3.90 to download 1TB between 0200 and 0559 BST if you are on that deal, but very expensive per MB in the daytime weekdays. I have no idea whether it would be of any use to you. Uploads are free. See https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-units.html

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2018, 03:28:21 PM »

Well, an order has gone in with AAISP for a New Copper Pair and FTTC provide. I'll have this installed in a different place than the current master socket, which will be a much shorter run than my current line.

It'll be interesting to see if I get a better performance from them as opposed to BT Infinity. (obviously the local loop and copper to the cab will still be the same). I'll plumb it straight into my 3rd NIC on my Pfsense box and have a play around with the load balancing features.

I thought my BT contract was up next year, but in fact it's up in October....so that's why I've decided to do this now, get myself accustomed with AAISP sort out VOIP and then run down the BT contract.

Just a query I'm not sure on - is it just 1 pair which is carried across on the overhead cable to a premises, or do the overheads contain 'more than one pair' which can be connected up at a later date to supply an additional line? Or will they need to run an entirely new overhead to my property?

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »

It depends, every drop cable can have a different number of pairs from what I've observed. One house I lived in a while ago had four pairs, while the house I'm currently living in only has two pairs. If there's a shortage of available pairs then I imagine they'll arrange to run another drop cable?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »

As Ixel points out it varies.
It could be 1 pair, 2 pair or even 4 pair.
I wouldn't expect a residential property to have more than a 4 pair drop cable.

The chances are your drop cable will have a 2nd spare pair that can be used.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2018, 04:36:35 PM »

I thought that would be the case, cheers for the replies.

Amazing turn around, I've already got a BTO install and an activation date for next week.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2018, 12:45:34 AM »

Sotonsam, I have three AA copper ADSL2 lines, bonded. 4.55mi long. I had a second pair activated in the original drop cable, then they ran a second drop cable to give me the third metallic path. I'm assuming that I have two pairs in the second drop cable too.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2018, 07:55:11 PM »

So, 2nd line installed today and service with AAISP all up and running. As you guys predicted below, there was a spare pair in the drop that he could re-use so that wasn't a problem.

Here are my stats for my new AAISP line:

http://dslstats.ddns.net:55551/connection.htm

Code: [Select]
Max:    Upstream rate = 23220 Kbps, Downstream rate = 63693 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 64445 Kbps

Link Power State:       L0
Mode:                   VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:          Profile 17a
TPS-TC:                 PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):        5.7             6.5
Attn(dB):        13.1            0.0
Pwr(dBm):        13.5            4.9

And for my existing line with BT Infinity:

http://dslstats.ddns.net:55555/connection.htm
Code: [Select]
Max: Upstream rate = 21044 Kbps, Downstream rate = 49752 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 62090 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode(0x0)
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 3.0 6.0
Attn(dB): 14.4 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 4.5 4.5

The one thing I've noticed with my old line is how my SNR has dropped down to 3, and my max rate is down to 49....

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:36 PM »

Most likely crosstalk from your new connection has caused the SNRM/attainable rate to drop on the downstream for your original connection.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

anything