Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Stats  (Read 16024 times)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
Re: Stats
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »

Still not heard anything back from BT, but I have put my HG612 back on my line now as I want to see the stats. I've got it accessible over the WAN port via some pfsense NATing, so I don't need to pop a laptop next to it anymore - will just leave a VM collecting the stats.

Just as a quick snapshot, this is how we look at the moment:

Why is my Upstream SNR so high....?
Vodafone FTTC 80/20. ECI Cab.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2018, 05:09:47 PM »

I wouldn't consider an SNR of 9 dB so high, but if you want I could probably find a dodgy filter on that could get it down (and maybe even reduce the sync speed). ;) You're already sync'd at the full 20 Mbps upstream, so there will be spare margin (which is a good thing). I have 15 dB on the upstream, because I sync at full 20 Mbps with an attainable of around 27 Mbps.

Any improvements at all? Not really, though it seems that the line is quieter in some places but band D3 has taken a bit of a hit (may explain why your DS sync is a bit lower than previously). But in reality, the stats tell me that, even with the changes they have made, it is much the same. Everything is within margins to prior.

Anyway, the line is not banded. So you can discard what I said previously.

Hopefully BT will update you as soon as possible. But I cannot see you getting more speed than currently unless they find something else at fault and resolve it. :no:
ISP: Gigaclear - Hyperfast 900 (up to 940 Mbps symmetrical)

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2018, 05:25:32 PM »

Cheers for the insight. Will keep it running though and see if i can catch anything further over the coming days (may give some more to go on).

I'll keep bugging BT...as my point of sale range was 63-80......

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2018, 05:56:35 PM »

Can I ask where BT get their 'minimum' speed guarantee from? I've now been told my minimum guarantee is 55-56Mb, and as I'm within that I'm fine. Yet these are my estimates on the DSL checker:

-

to me, that suggests my minimum I should accept is 63.4? (This is also the estimated range I get via ISP websites). They seem to be going by the low impacted range...which isn't what I signed up for!

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2018, 06:25:42 PM »

ISPs provide you with a speed range, which is their estimated range. These figures are based on the BT's DSL Checker's estimates, although they may be slightly different depending on whether an ISP wishes to be conservative on the estimates or not (so some may have a lower range than others).

A minimum guarantee, however, is usually based on the Downstream Handback Threshold (which in your case, as you can see, is 56 Mbps) and not the range itself. If the line speed falls below the threshold then it is determined to be underperforming. Openreach will investigate if prompted by the ISP after all the usual tests are done, and if no improvements can be made then the ISP will generally allow you to exit contract without a fee.

Just to note, I think the BT website, when ordering broadband, shows estimates and guarantees based on address rather than telephone number. So there may be a slight discrepancy there. Either way, you're above the guarantee and below the estimates... but you're also out of contract, so you could just leave if you were not satisfied but you wouldn't get any faster on another ISP and you should probably wait until this "fault" has been investigated fully if you wanted to leave.

Of course, it goes deeper than this, but this is slightly more in layman's terms.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:28:05 PM by re0 »

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »

Cheers, understand that now. I'm not actually out of contract, my BT contract is up next April...so another year yet!

If you're interested, I've come across a great app called DSLStats, which I've published as a web server here - http://dslstats.ddns.net:55555/combined.html

Looks relatively stable in the short term...

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »

Cheers, understand that now. I'm not actually out of contract, my BT contract is up next April...so another year yet!
Did you renew your contract? You said in your OP that you have been a subscriber since 2013. Perhaps you negotiated lower prices? :) As you said:
I've been a subscriber since 2013, I have always been on the Infinity 2 product and at the start used to achieve at least 75mb downstream.
Either way, doesn't matter - I apologise for my error (perhaps I had made an assumption :no:). Hopefully they'll get back to you soon.

If you're interested, I've come across a great app called DSLStats ...
I did mention this program just over a week ago:
... I would recommend logging your line statistics over the next few days using HG612 Modem Stats (or DSLstats, if you would prefer... both are just as good as each other) ...
:P

Edit:
You might want to adjust the parameters in DSLstats to show the full extent of the bitloading graph. You should be able to click on "Change tone range" and select VDSL2. You may want to adjust it manually so it fits the graph better.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:18:34 PM by re0 »

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2018, 08:26:14 PM »

Sorry, yeah I have had Infinity since 2013 but have renewed my contract over that time. To be fair, this period between now and Feb is the first time I've dropped below 65, I've been pretty content with it in the most part.

Yeah, great call on this app. I like it alot...have adjusted the bits so it's VDSL2 range now.

I have actually got some luck from BT, they've agreed to honour my range - 63-80, so are sending out another engineer on Thursday.

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2018, 08:49:09 PM »

I have actually got some luck from BT, they've agreed to honour my range - 63-80, so are sending out another engineer on Thursday.
:dance:
Fingers crossed there is something they can do to get you over into that range. :fingers:

I can't remember if you mentioned something about which exchange and cabinet you are on, but maybe you can confirm whether your cabinet has more than one fibre cabinet (for the reason of increasing capacity)? Since the newer one - if one exists - could be Huawei, and they could switch you to it. Though it is fairly uncommon to see additional fibre cabinets (especially considering newer Huawei models that were rolled out as part of BDUK support extensions, unless the area has a high amount of subscribers that surpasses what a cabinet and extension can provide).

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2018, 08:52:19 PM »

Nah, unfortunately not. There's only ever been the one ECI cab next to my PCP.

I'd say 90% of cabs in Southampton are ECI :(

Although anything new that goes up now is indeed Huawei. Am I right in assuming BTO don't actually use ECI for new deployments anymore?

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2018, 09:00:29 PM »

As far as I was concerned, ECI had not been used in FTTC deployments since around the start of 2014. https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm pretty much proves me wrong. Huawei cabinets did exist prior to the 2014, but as I can quote from the aforesaid link:
What model is installed is down to BT's planning dept and anticipated demand in your area. The earliest cabs were Huawei's. During the 2012-2013 period BT seemed to be favouring the ECI cabs, but since late 2013/early 2014 most new cabs tend to be Huawei.

Edited to correct information.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 10:40:47 PM by re0 »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2018, 10:34:17 PM »

As far as I am concerned, ECI has not been used in FTTC deployments since around the start of 2014. https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm pretty much says the same thing. Huawei cabinets did exist prior to the 2014, but as I can quote from the aforesaid link:

ECI's were deployed by Openreach right up till August 2016.
They had switched to using mainly Huawei cabinets on new sites some time before that. Most BDUK work was entirely Huawei. There was still ECI's being deployed on new commercial sites as late as 2015.
There are ECI activations as late as September 2015 on my exchange, though the cabinets may have been sited a while before going live.

At some point it went exclusively Huawei for new sites, but for any existing ECI cabinet that was full Openreach added a 2nd ECI cabinet.
They stopped deploying ECI cabinets completely around August/September 2016.
That's just before we first spotted an ECI being added to with a Huawei cabinet for the 1st time in this thread. A month later my own ECI got a Huawei big brother.

I haven't seen an ECI FTTC DSLAM being deployed anywhere since then.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

re0

• Reg Member
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2018, 10:43:17 PM »

j0hn, thanks for pointing out my quote. I noticed that I had phrased it wrong so I re-worded to correct it.

sotonsam

• Reg Member
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2018, 10:54:40 AM »

Connection has been stable for the last 19 or so hrs, although DLM hasn't increased my sync speed so I'm still below the 63.

These error stats over a 19hr period are nothing to worry about are they? Seems relatively low to my untrained eye.

FEC:      0      26
CRC:      83      2
ES:      64      2
SES:      0      0
UAS:      26      26

FTTP via Toob. 900/900.

GaryW

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »

I don't think there's anything DLM will do that will increase your sync speed - you're on fastpath and your DS SNRM is just over 6dB so I think that's as good as it can get.  The only thing you could do is monitor your DS SNRM and see when it's at its highest...and resync the modem at that time of day (yours may not vary much, but mine can vary by as much as 2dB over the course of 24 hours in a predictable cycle).

As for the ES, 64 is in the green over 19 hours...although as you're on fastpath already and not banded that's not going to benefit you.  Based on my OCD stats collection, and correlating with when DLM temporarily kicks me onto high interleaving, BT use standard (rather than speed) profile so as long as you stay below 1440 ES per day you're fine.
EE 4G - Huawei B618s-22d - BT WHWF
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

anything