Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: London UK FTTH ISP Community Fibre Doubles Broadband Speeds  (Read 1215 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
London UK FTTH ISP Community Fibre Doubles Broadband Speeds
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:32:08 PM »

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/04/london-uk-ftth-isp-community-fibre-doubles-broadband-speeds.html

Alternative network provider Community Fibre, which is currently deploying their Fibre-to-the-Home (FTTH/P) network across large swathes of London, has doubled the speed of their ‘Basic’ and ‘Ultrafast’ broadband packages at no extra cost for both new and existing subscribers.

The move means that their £20 per month ‘Basic’ 20Mbps package (1Mbps upload) has now been boosted to 40Mbps, while their £35 per month 100Mbps ‘Ultrafast’ tier has similarly jumped to 200Mbps (both now also offer symmetric speeds). Naturally the ISP’s £50 per month ‘Gigafast’ package remains at 1Gbps because, seriously, there’s virtually zero reason to double that right now.

After reading a lot about alternative fibre network providers, specifically CityFibre, it seems that these other providers, because they don't have the legacy copper technology, are literally creating fibre networks at half the price BT/OR are.

I think OR are in real danger of being overtaken as we move to full fibre networks, especially on pricing. In a way I think the legacy copper revenue that was once seen as a bonus cash cow that the bean counters are reluctant to turn off [I know there are more reasons why they won't shut copper off.. but profitability is a big one], as made the decision to go to full fibre a more difficult one.

I asked a question on a B4RN thread a week or so ago, asking how can these small groups like B4RN provide high speed services for such a low price. The answers that came back were financial and they did address the B4RN situation and similar type of groups.

But I ask a slightly modified question. How can these fibre network privoders the size of CityFibre, and in this case Community Fibre, lay down fibre networks so fast?

I predict in the next 10 years we're not going to be talking about only one networks functions, but multiple networks functioning in UK.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: London UK FTTH ISP Community Fibre Doubles Broadband Speeds
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »

Hopefully it's the way ahead for those of us not living in conurbations of the major cities. A community based company which provides a mainly wireless based internet service in the county has teamed up with a local estate owner and is bringing FTTP to my village. It is a phased approach based on demand, but I’m hopeful it will reach my premises later in the year. They offer either a 100 Mbps or 200 Mbps up/down unlimited service for a very reasonable monthly cost. Installation costs vary depending on the work involved/takeup.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:59:45 PM »

After reading a lot about alternative fibre network providers, specifically CityFibre, it seems that these other providers, because they don't have the legacy copper technology, are literally creating fibre networks at half the price BT/OR are.

yep which is why I said in the other thread that john disagreed with me on, its a "huge" deal that BT will have to keep maintaining copper (and exchanges) if they do FTTP.  It has a massive affect on the business case.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »

I'll come back to this tomorrow however I will say the altnet deployment in the UK is very slow and very late by most standards. I presume we are ignoring Virgin Media in the altnet list.

The largest altnet is by a mile Hyperoptic. They are FTTB and have taken years to reach the coverage they have. No-one else is even into 6-figures premises passed with FTTH/P/B as far as I'm aware.

BT's main issue with replacing copper is simply that they can't.

The pricing thing I have no idea about. BT can build FTTP more cheaply than anyone else.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »

I asked a question on a B4RN thread a week or so ago, asking how can these small groups like B4RN provide high speed services for such a low price. The answers that came back were financial and they did address the B4RN situation and similar type of groups.

But I ask a slightly modified question. How can these fibre network privoders the size of CityFibre, and in this case Community Fibre, lay down fibre networks so fast?

Community Fibre's business model has one advantage in that they seek to form a 'partnership' with a local authority or housing association which in effect means they are only really targeting high density areas of housing/flats and may benefit from other things (such as the fact that the landlord is on board with their plans).

While they have signed several agreements over the past few  years, I personally think progress on installing their network has been relatively slow (it took them 2 years to do their first 5,500 properties in Wandsworth which is their first partnership).

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »

BT's main issue with replacing copper is simply that they can't.

What is the reason they can't turn off the copper network if they have a replacement fibre network that can take over?

I've read a couple of reasons on here, and other sites, about why they can't turn it off. But when they are actually confronted with the question OR never say any of the reasons mentioned. They only reply that if their CP's want there to be a turn off then it will happen. This was said by Mike McTighe in the FTTH conference video I posted about 2 weeks ago. If there was a law, or ofcom ruling then why is it never mentioned when BT/OR are confronted about the copper question?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 02:04:05 PM »

What is the reason they can't turn off the copper network if they have a replacement fibre network that can take over?

The main reason is simply that ADSL services would stop working - which CP's (especially LLU ones) don't want - hence OR's comments about "if their CP's want there to be a turn off then it will happen."

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 03:49:08 PM »

Yep

Bowden basically if BT e.g. rolled out FTTP to everyone on my cabinet, and ripped out the copper.

Then all of a sudden talktalk, sky, vodafone etc. ADSL services stop working as the copper isnt there, the voice services sold over such copper stop working, and those CPs lose their massively marked up profit machines, you know the ones that they pay openreach circa £10 a month for and resell at £20+.  All this without them having to dig up anything as openreach own that infrastructure they can piggy back on, they going to play hard on giving up such an arrangement.

So for this to work either ofcom needs to tell CPs we cant hold your hands anymore, or openreach needs to get these CPs voluntarily onboard.

anything